Freehub for Reynolds Aero wheels 2013-2016

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Wanting to swap a Campagnolo freehub for a Shimano one on a set of Reynolds Aero 58 wheels (2013-2016 version).

I think what I need is this, but it's expensive and currently difficult to get in the UK:
https://reynoldscycling.com/products/dt ... eehub-body

The hubs are basically DT Swiss I think, and I can get this for £35:
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/brand ... gJddfD_BwE

Effectively the same thing or not..? I notice that the splines in the Reynolds one are slightly different (the wider ones have grooves in the middle if you look closely).

Wondering if the black one might be compatible but heavier, e.g. steel rather than alu? I'm a bit of a weenie so don't want to add 100g unless I have to.. ;-)

Comments

• matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Same thing, they’re so easy to remove just order it and see if it fits?

Pull the end cap off and the body will come away.

Spend the saving on a 36t ratchet.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • neeb
    Matt_N wrote:

Sounds good.

You reckon the 36t ratchet is a worthwile upgrade? Is it one of those things you don't realise you need until you have it..? Must admit I've never see the fraction of a second it takes the hub to engage as being something I notice.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’m currently running a 11 speed Shimano cassette with a 11 speed Campagnolo Chorus groupset on a rear Reynolds Aero 90. Works perfectly, if I was you I would try the Campagnolo cassette with the Shimano gear before buying the new freehub to see how it works together.
  • neeb
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    I’m currently running a 11 speed Shimano cassette with a 11 speed Campagnolo Chorus groupset on a rear Reynolds Aero 90. Works perfectly, if I was you I would try the Campagnolo cassette with the Shimano gear before buying the new freehub to see how it works together.
    OK, full weight-weenie confession - I'm running Campagnolo EPS but want the Shimano freehub so that I can use a SRAM Red cassette that I already have lying around and save myself 70g.. :D
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    neeb wrote:
    Matt_N wrote:

Sounds good.

You reckon the 36t ratchet is a worthwile upgrade? Is it one of those things you don't realise you need until you have it..? Must admit I've never see the fraction of a second it takes the hub to engage as being something I notice.

I personally like and notice the quicker engagement, I have a pair of FFWD F6R on 240 without and some Archetypes on 240 with and I prefer with.

Plus it sounds better!
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I had to do some research to find a freehub for mine which are the generation before yours. You can use the DT freehub its a common part on the 180, 240 and 350 rears. Only difference being it doesnt have the channelling.

Just remember with those DT hubs the freehub body has the ratchet the pawls are in the hub body. Best check which you have first.