Rapha Bibs

rieko
rieko Posts: 121
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I've got £150 to spend at Rapha and I'm in the market for new bib shorts. I've previously owned the pro-team bibs and they are the best bibs I've ever owned. I loved them and nothing else I have had compares.

However, I'm tempted to go for the Core range. They get great reviews and at only £85, I could possibly sneak a new Jersey in too with my voucher.

Or I could go with the classic range, which look great too and are supposedly the comfiest shorts in their range.

So, Core (+something else), Classic or Pro-Team?
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I found the classics too stretchy with the pad moving around a lot despite sizing down. They are very comfortable off the bike, the material is very soft and stretchy, but that's not the point.

My go to pair is Assos Equipe - much more snug fit and probably a lot closer to the Rapha PT.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Assos don't take Rapha vouchers.

OP - go for another pair of PT II bibs, or why not get the PT training bibs which are essentially the V1 bibs. They're just as good IMO. I stock piled a few pairs from the Archive sale, but I'm glad to see they've brought them back again.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    GrenW wrote:
    I found the classics too stretchy with the pad moving around a lot despite sizing down. They are very comfortable off the bike, the material is very soft and stretchy, but that's not the point.

My go to pair is Assos Equipe - much more snug fit and probably a lot closer to the Rapha PT.
    I had a similar experience with the classic shorts, bought a pair in my normal size (L) but found them a little too baggy. So if you do fancy the classic shorts maybe best go down a size
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803

OP - go for another pair of PT II bibs, or why not get the PT training bibs which are essentially the V1 bibs. They're just as good IMO. I stock piled a few pairs from the Archive sale, but I'm glad to see they've brought them back again.

I wasn't suggesting the Assos bibs, more that I think the Classic will be very different to the PT ones. Same thinking as you.... go for the PTs again if you like them.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    I have tried Classic (v1), pro team, and brevet. Brevet are far and away my fave. Oddly they aren't available at the moment, not sure if that's temporary.

I have a pair of Core bibs too, they are relegated to turbo use only, I'm not a fan.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    pauly69 wrote:
    I have tried Classic (v1), pro team, and brevet. Brevet are far and away my fave. Oddly they aren't available at the moment, not sure if that's temporary.

I have a pair of Core bibs too, they are relegated to turbo use only, I'm not a fan.

Brevet bibs are good, my favourite, if I’ve one criticism it’s the front is high and makes answering the call of nature harder than it needs to be.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    GrenW wrote:

I wasn't suggesting the Assos bibs, more that I think the Classic will be very different to the PT ones. Same thinking as you.... go for the PTs again if you like them.

I understood what you meant buddy. No worries.

The only issue with the PT bibs, as great and comfy as they are, is the pad. In fact it's the reason I have a voucher, as the pad stitching has come apart and Rapha have given me a voucher to replace them (awesome customer service). However, as much as I love these bibs, I don't want to be in the same position 6-12 months down the line.

From what I've been reading, the Training PT's still come with the new pad. I'll buy a few different options, try them on and keep my favorite. Although I'll probably opt for the Training PT's.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I’ve got Core and Lightweight, I find the central seam on the pad of the Core’s a bit intrusive on a longer ride, that might just be me though. Other than that I do like them, they’re nicely cut, the straps are wide and the raw cut leg grippers work well.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • jupamaso
    jupamaso Posts: 21
    I Have Classic 2 and Core. Prefer the Core, love the pad, grippers and the wide straps. The Classic are too loose (both are same size).
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I tried the classics and they were baggy around the leg grips. Had to send them back which was a shame.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I have the Core and PT II bibs. Imho, the cores are ok, think I picked them up as a bundle with a jersey that I sold on, but I prefer my La Passione bib shorts.
    The PT II are superior to both.

The lightweights I rate for comfort above the core shorts, but you (or I anyway) need warm conditions for them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18