Handlebar width

Smejdy
Smejdy Posts: 19
edited May 2019 in MTB general
Hi, i recently swapped 730mm bars and 70mm stem to a 785mm bars and 35mm stem on my Giant Trance. I’m 173cm (5’7” -5’8”). Today i did my first run on this setup and it just felt weird. I felt more sluggish, less controlled in the air on jumps and generally i just felt slower. Should i cut my bars down to let’s say 760 or should i try to get uses to it ? Thanks :)

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There isn't a formula for this it's every person to their own. Just go and find what what some pro's run, tall riders with narrow bars small riders with wide bars, it's what you're comfortable with.
    Try moving your setup on your bars inboard a bit at a time until you find the right spot before you cut the bars.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Funnily enough some people believe there is a formula for handlebar width to stature and there is also some stuff on line about stem length, bar sweep and the relationship of those to where your hands are vs steerer - depends what you believe.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lee-mccormacks-guide-to-perfect-bike-set-up.html

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/finding-your-sweet-spot-handlebar-width.html

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/exploring-the-relationship-between-handlebar-vs-stem-length.html

There is definitely a point, especially on a bike not designed around a short stem where you can go too short.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • yonny
    yonny Posts: 36
    robertpb wrote:
    Try moving your setup on your bars inboard a bit at a time until you find the right spot before you cut the bars.

That.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Smejdy wrote:
    Hi, i recently swapped 730mm bars and 70mm stem to a 785mm bars and 35mm stem on my Giant Trance. I’m 173cm (5’7” -5’8”). Today i did my first run on this setup and it just felt weird. I felt more sluggish, less controlled in the air on jumps and generally i just felt slower. Should i cut my bars down to let’s say 760 or should i try to get uses to it ? Thanks :)

Why did you swap the narrower bars for wider bars in the first place and why the shorter stem?

I recently replaced my 720mm flat bars for 780mm bars with a 20mm rise and sweepback but kept the same 60mm stem. I also removed a 10mm stem spacer so the bars are only 10mm higher than the old bars. I just wanted extra width as I found myself holding the bar ends when on the flat or on the road. The 10mm extra height is also welcome and I now find the bike much more comfortable especially on longer rides.
  • Smejdy
    Smejdy Posts: 19
    I bought the shorter stem for more responsive steering. I also felt like i would benefit from wider bars. But i didnt know how wide can i go so i bought 785 so i could cut them down if they were too wide. I think im going to leave them on for a few rides and then decide if i should cut them or no. I tried to move my controls and grips at 765 and it felt really good actually. We’ll see how it goes. I like to jump around and the 780 feels a bit too much. Feels great on rough terrain but not jumps (my opinion).
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I can't remember how long my bars are, but when I fitted them they did feel a bit wide.
    They weren't super wide but a fair bit wider than my old ones.
    I found rotating them slightly to take advantage of the slight rise and sweep has put them pretty much where I want them.
    I still might trim them a bit, but it will only be a cm or so.
    Basically adjust what you've got if you can before you consider cutting the bars.