Quick question about BC points

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited June 2019 in Amateur race
As I understand it you need 12 points in a season to move from cat 4 to cat 3. What I couldn't quite work out is how these points are handed out in mixed cat rides.

Say I ride in a cat 3/4 race - are the points handed out across all the riders or are their separate lots of points for each category?

Seems like if I'm going to have to race with cat 3 riders for points it's going to be a whole lot harder to move up...

Comments

• aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Top points for 1st. Points then descent to 10th or 15th place depending on race. Most 3/4s are 10 for 1st down to 1 for 10th. Doesn’t go by category just position .
  • CptKernow
    Top points for 1st. Points then descent to 10th or 15th place depending on race. Most 3/4s are 10 for 1st down to 1 for 10th. Doesn’t go by category just position .
    OK thanks. Better start looking for some cat 4 only races with small fields!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Why are you so keen to earn points when doing so will mean you have to race cat 3 riders all the time?

As in, precisely what you currently want to avoid?

Most 3/4 races are fine, most third cats aren't particularly quick, they've just been doing it longer - if they were properly quick they'd be cat 2 (or higher...)

Most people get to cat 3 without even podiuming.
  • CptKernow
    TimothyW wrote:
    Why are you so keen to earn points when doing so will mean you have to race cat 3 riders all the time?

As in, precisely what you currently want to avoid?

Saw a couple of races that were cat 1,2,3 that I quite liked the look of. But having a further dig around seems like there are plenty of 3/4 options - in fact possibly more cat 4 only races...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TimothyW wrote:
    Most 3/4 races are fine, most third cats aren't particularly quick, they've just been doing it longer - if they were properly quick they'd be cat 2 (or higher...)

And if most 2nd cats were properly quick, they'd be 1st cats. It's all relative. Not sure what point you're making...
  • timothyw
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

And if most 2nd cats were properly quick, they'd be 1st cats. Not sure what point you're making...
    My point is that if you are capable of pointing in a cat 4 race you can probably also point in a 3/4 race, you shouldn't avoid them out of the perception that the cat 3s will crowd you out.

My perception is that pretty much anyone can be competitive in 3/4 with enough training (and perhaps a bit of canniness in choosing events that suit your strengths), get up to cat 2 and you need some talent to keep getting results.
  • imposter2.0
    Not sure I agree with that. It obviously depends on what you define as 'talent' - as well as how it is applied - but with the right levels of commitment, training and application, most 3rds could reach 1st cat and most 1st cats could reach elite. Talent is what you need to take it beyond that.
  • timothyw
    Yeah, ultimately, it's only my perception, certainly there is a big gulf between the 12 points in a season needed to reach cat 3 and the 40 points to get up to cat 2 (plus 25 points a season to stay there - in harder races).

Perceptions will obviously be different depending on your own level of talent and the relative strength of riders in your area.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Remember, once you’re a 3rd you can never go back below 3rd, so you never need to dice with 4th cats again ( unless you want to in a 3/4 of course).
  • imposter2.0
    giropaul wrote:
    Remember, once you’re a 3rd you can never go back below 3rd, so you never need to dice with 4th cats again ( unless you want to in a 3/4 of course).

As above, although technically, I think it is possible to drop back to 4th when you become a veteran (ie 40+) but only if you specifically request it. Could be wrong, but I seem to remember something about that being the case...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    4ths only are a fair bit easier (round here 17 years ago anyway) than 3/4s - that's my memory anyway - but I do agree there is no point in avoiding 3/4 races especially if you want to get to 3rd cat in order to ride 2/3s or above.

Is there such a race as a 123 excluding elites now? - anyway if your desire is to race first cats you better be competitive in a 3/4 or you aren't going to last long.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    if you want to get points in 3rds then spend 2 or 3 months racing 1/2 events and hanging on with everything youve got. Its not the top or sustained speeds its the accelerations and the hills that really hurt.

Then drop down to thirds and smash them up. sorted.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    if you want to get points in 3rds then spend 2 or 3 months racing 1/2 events and hanging on with everything youve got. Its not the top or sustained speeds its the accelerations and the hills that really hurt.

As a 4th cat you might not get in 1/2 races.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Imposter wrote:
    giropaul wrote:

As above, although technically, I think it is possible to drop back to 4th when you become a veteran (ie 40+) but only if you specifically request it. Could be wrong, but I seem to remember something about that being the case...

Why on earth would anyone want to do that? Plenty of low hanging fruit available for 3rd cats, especially if you've been racing a little while. Dropping down would be like sticking L plates back on your car after passing your test
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

sandbagging.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    philbar72 wrote:

sandbagging.

And the eternal glory of points at Castleccome :lol::lol::lol::lol: