eBay selling paranoia?

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited May 2019 in MTB general
I'm selling a bike on ebay and someone wants to come and view it. Not had that before! He must live or work reasonably locally, otherwise why bother?

He has over 60 deals and a 100% rating. It all seems OK, but I can't help feeling that he's looking to see what he can steal. I wasn't always this suspicious, but selling my YT Capra a few months ago attracted a lot of scammers and con merchants. Put me right on edge.

He won't get inside my garage, or my house for that matter. He''ll get to know where I live, but he would if he bought it.

Am I just being paranoid? :(

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Meet him somewhere else?
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Meet in a local pub/supermarket carpark where there are other people and maybe even CCTV?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not necessarily; there's loads of crooks out there so be sensible / careful. Maybe have a mate present. You could always ask him for some photo ID? If he arrives on foot or his mate drops him off, don't just let him disappear on a 'test ride' on his own unless he's left the asking price in cash. If you have a second bike, go with him.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All the buying advice says never agree to meet somewhere like a pub car park / layby. Always visit the seller's home if possible. You'll be the one sounding suspicious...
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If he was hooky and managed to make off with my bike, does the fact that eBay know who he is and where he lives matter at all? I know that he has bought loads of stuff off eBay, so they must have an address.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Meet him outside your local police station, if he's hooky he won't turn up.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You're fine to refuse viewings if you're at all uncertain about it. Chances are they'd take the opportunity to try to make you an offline bid for cash as otherwise they'll have to be back to pick it up.

I'd show it in a neutral part of your home location if you do agree to a viewing - alternatively be up front with them and say you've got security concerns (make up a story about a previous incident or a friend of a friend story) and say you'd be happy to live stream a detailed viewing online using a webcam / phone / skype etc?

I wouldn't be too concerned as it's a valid request to ask for a viewing, especially if you're planning on a "no returns" policy. But I'm not broadly too paranoid about security, perhaps that's just a feature of where I live.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I saw someone posting of facebook that they couldn't show the potential buyer the goods at home - but could take it to a local town ... this was for a tablet with barely a description and a low price - sounded very dodgy and as though they weren't meant to be selling it (stolen?)

FWIW - I have gone to look at a bike - advertised here - it was an hours drive - there was no way I was buying it without a test ride, so the seller jumped on his bike and off we went together - it did help that I'd left my wife at his house with our car ... ;)

If you think his ebay account may not be genuine then ask him for ID just to check he is who he says he is. I'd still show at my home - just out the front - with the garage door closed. As said above - if he wants a test ride then either full cash or ride with him (assuming you think you're fit enough to keep up with a mega sprinter!) - depends how he turns up to your place I guess - if he's on foot or on old crappy bike then it does lend the view that he's there with nothing to loose.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you're being a bit paranoid.

All he would know is that you have a house and a bike that's going to be sold. Tell him you're giving up so he will know there's no more bikes to nick but 99% of people are genuine.
  • Ask him what time suits him best. Tell him you'll be at your sister's at that time. Give him your road and tell him you'll meet him on it. Ask what car he will be in. Have a spare bike - your brother in law's - handy in case he wants to go for a ride.

He won't know that you live on that road, and if you meet him outside he won't know the number. If everything is kosher you can then relax, he will understand the precautions. If he's a scammer then fire him off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If I were shadey and out to nick a bike I'd just win the auction and get the sellers address, not turn up at the agreed time but a few days later (or nights)...... I see no downside to just agreeing for him to come and look in advance unless you decide not to sell at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I consider the time I go to collect it to be the test ride/inspection time. If I turn up and it isn't as advertised, and there's no agreeing a resolution, I'm leaving without it and sorting it out through eBay/PayPal.

That said, I have bought three bikes online (Gumtree, Facebook and a local buy/sell forum) and on all of them I have turned up in my car and been allowed to ride it unaccompanied up and down the road to test the gears, brakes etc. In fact of the seven bikes in my garage, five were bought S/H online (the two I didn't test ride were for my kids).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere