wednesday she had a dream about the king of sweden, he gave her things that she was needin'

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,535
edited May 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

ride, maybe a doughnut at cafe stop 2, bask

hoping for another scorchio
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,863
    Plans of WFH and making a club trail run mucked up by a late meeting request, bolloxs
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, back at home now, have just walked Tigger , I have been thinking about doing some gardening but it has just started to rain
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,481
    oxoman wrote:
    Question of the day why do some bits shrink when biking :oops: , answers on another thread. :lol:
    I dunno oxo, mountain biking makes your balls bigger :P

Soggy day here but I'm on the train so I dont care. Day 2 of a 3 day week, pity I've got a lot to do. Note to self: must delegate harder.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    Hi de hidey hidey hi folks,
    More than a little moist here as well, I seem to have caught a dose of manflu so I manned down and drove in as I've got Friday off for a ride and really want to get better by then. Not much of a ride, but good fun. Took the Mini so the Mrs could use the other car if necessary. It's not a diamond car and doesn't have a platinum wheel, but it's great fun getting through small gaps people don't think are there. Had a bloke in a Merc GL thing trying to squeeze me out, he failed miserably and I was gone.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao

absolutely gopping so about to make a call on mtb'ing. if i take them out its going to be cold & wet. lets see shall we ...........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,147
    Yeah it's wet and I don't need much of an excuse not to ride. Foot is a bit buggered so need to find some food and painkillers.
    absolutely gopping so about to make a call on mtb'ing. if i take them out its going to be cold & wet.
    Maybe just find some jumps/drops to play on with a nearby cafe?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, could have canoed to work today probably, but chose to drive. Matt, either bail or like thistle said stick close to the cafe!
    The panzer estate waded very well with its body kit acting almost like a ships prow. Lots of people still off with bank holiday disease so I get to issue jobs to more minions than usual, shall see what happens!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    It wet.
  • sungod
    Veronese68 wrote:
    glad to see someone entered into the spirit of the day, been singing bits of it in my head all morning

fast hilly ride, pancake at the marina

forecast says extreme uv again, huzzah! setting controls for heart of the sun
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,331
    Move some chairs and tables in the cafe and have fun whilst the toast is on.

Chilly here. Had the wood burner on last night. Supposed to warm up slowly from the weekend on but it's only Wednesday. Sh1t. ...and I think I have Man Flu.

I am surrounded by a sea of heretical papers regarding the BIg Bang theory but no-one in CS wants a proper fight.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    I am surrounded by a sea of heretical papers regarding the BIg Bang theory but no-one in CS wants a proper fight.

Laters.

I don't think they know where to start...

Also, sportive on Sunday, normal wheels or silly deep section carbons?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno wrote:

Chilly here. Had the wood burner on last night. Supposed to warm up slowly from the weekend on but it's only Wednesday. Sh1t. ...and I think I have Man Flu.

Laters.

Big bang theory you say?! cosmology fascinates me but i'm not that schooled up on it, wish i'd done physics more and maths less when in education! all seems a bit daunting now!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    sungod wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    glad to see someone entered into the spirit of the day, been singing bits of it in my head all morning
    So am I now :lol:
    Took me a while to work it out, first thought was it sounds like an Ian Dury lyric. Never compared Ian Dury to Cab Calloway before.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,013
    Wet here so didn't even bother setting the alarm for an early start but wifey did so I ended up putting up curtain poles before work.

Then someone thought it would be a good idea to throw themselves off a motorway bridge meaning that both the East and West bound traffic off the M62 had to be routed through my little village. Cue a 2 hour wait to get out of the place.

Putting it into perspective, their problems were worse than mine.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Took me a while to work it out, first thought was it sounds like an Ian Dury lyric. Never compared Ian Dury to Cab Calloway before.
    with added betty boop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7VUU_VPI1E

scorchio, time for a cooling beverage
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    with added betty boop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7VUU_VPI1E

scorchio, time for a cooling beverage

I do like Cab Calloway's rendition of the St James Infirmary blues.
    Here's the master:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcpUdBw7gs

More soul than in one song than all the songs in the last 4 decades of modern pop.
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Laters.

Big bang theory you say?! cosmology fascinates me but i'm not that schooled up on it, wish i'd done physics more and maths less when in education! all seems a bit daunting now!

What I as got 'ere, is some papers written by an egotistical eccentric who builds whole miniature armies with all the correct regalia and is loud. You can stomach his highly animated machinations for about an hour or so before the threat of being permanently deaf makes you look for the door. I could not imagine him and Brian Blessed in a room together.

However, nothing gets him so animated as the Big bang theory.

Waaaay before you get onto super strings, dark matter, black holes and the quantum stuff. He presents a compelling back ground to how we ended up with the big bang theory and the multitudes of hypotheticals based on suppositions with more holes than a factory full of Emmental; it ain't rocket science and it's quite easy for you and I to comprehend.
    When I was confronted by a large, hairy man in a cafe wowing his (layman) audience of 4 with a presentation of the Big bang, I started questioning some very basic principles - namely the supposition of the expansion of the universe based on the red and the blue shift and then how established and agreed ages of star clusters were conveniently shortened because it wasn't commensurate with the BBT.
    He attempted to detract with some higher stuff and wouldn't be pinned down to challenging basic suppositions. So I moved on...
    I then mentioned Halton Arp. In the early 70's. Arp came up with 'hard evidence' which basically contradicted the theories regarding the Red shift and how using it as a distance measurement was fundamentally flawed.
    After an inconclusive inquiry into Arp's observatory's, the American scientific establishment cancelled funding for his observatory's at Mount Wilson and Paloma by the 1980's. Arp: A Cosmological Heretic.
    Arp now lectures all over Europe and continues his work in Germany.

The big fat hairy man was much taken aback and was quite hostile towards me but curtailed his impromtu sermon and left to the gaping mouths of his unwitting audience.

CJ Lane sums it up: We have less of an idea (in spite of pretending otherwise) of the real structure and depth of the universe, than a 12th century dark age geographer had of the land and the sea dispositions of the earth in his day.

If I haven't bored you, most of his works are on laminated A3 so would be difficult to photo copy but his 'Redshifts & the problem of measuring intergalactic distances' is on A4 and you are welcome to have a copy (email?).
    Given that the big bang is based on the apparent expansion of the universe, the above is critical to it's theory.
  • sungod
    there's a lot of data, with selection all kinds of theories can be made to fit

on current data there're at least a hundred billion of galaxies

arp chose a few hundred (way back when there was nowhere close to the observational capabilities of hst etc., let alone the quality)

afaik his funding wasn't 'cancelled', he refused to submit an application

over time, conspiracy nutters latched onto his ideas (and others), all kinds of unsubstantiated tosh gets pumped out, just as with the 'science' of chem trails, anti-vaccine, they can gain followers and make money out of it

arp and others (hoyle for instance) who propose these steady state models have no explanation for things like the elemental abundances that are a prediction of big bang nucleosynthesis, nor their evolution, then there's gravitational lensing of cosmologically distant objects in line with general relativity, (etc. etc.)

i asked the tabby, she said pretty much the above, but with less patience, and explained that we're sort of on the right track, but if she told us the details now we'd just act like stupid apes and spoil the planet for the pussycats, so she's scratched the lowdown in the core of a diamond pineapple that burbles mysteriously outside the event horizon of cygnus x-1

she said by the time we can read it perhaps we'll be sensible enough to handle it
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    i asked the tabby, she said pretty much the above, but with less patience, and explained that we're sort of on the right track, but if she told us the details now we'd just act like stupid apes and spoil the planet for the pussycats, so she's scratched the lowdown in the core of a diamond pineapple that burbles mysteriously outside the event horizon of cygnus x-1

she said by the time we can read it perhaps we'll be sensible enough to handle it

Why didn't you say this ^ in the first place?!