9 speed vs 8 speed for Bicycle Touring/Bikepacking?

rollingnomad
rollingnomad Posts: 40
edited June 2019 in Tour & expedition
9 speed vs 8 speed for Bicycle Touring/Bikepacking?

my question what would you do in a worst-case scenario when your bike touring if your components break down on you?

Someone told me that 8 speed is better than 9 speed for Bicycle Touring.
And 9 speed Derailleur works on 8 speed Chains and Cassette. And I can buy Shimano now has the Shimano Claris 8 speed rapidfire trigger Shifters 3x8 or I can buy spare 9 speed rapidfire trigger Shifters in Shimano LX SL-M580 Shift Lever set, 3x9 or Shimano Deore SL-M590 3x9-Speed Shifter Set also still can buy LX, Deore trigger shifters 9 speed.

I have the Shimano XT SL-M770 trigger shifters 9 speed no longer made and my
Shimano FD-m771 FD 9 spd, Shimano deore XT RD-m771 RD 9spd, Handlebar: Raceface XC flat Mtn clamp 25.4mm, Cassette Sram PC-970 Cassette 11-34t, Sram PC-971 Chain 9 Speed

My spare 9 speed bike parts list:
Shimano Deore RD-M592-SGS Rear Derailleur - 9 Speed, Long Cage, Black
Shimano Altus FD-M371 Triple Down-Swing Dual-Pull Front Derailleur 9 speed on order
Cassette Sram PC-970 Cassette 11-34t,
Sram PC-971 Chain 9 Speed
spare shifters N/A

"I remember the old Boy Scout motto be prepared"
The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of
readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.

Note: I have sold my Shimano 10 speed bike parts

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What's the chance of busting a shifter?
    can't you "just" buy some downtube or bar end shifters and use them in non-index mode?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I used to buy bike parts just on the off-chance something might fail or wear out. They never did. Something else always broke / wore out and I had to buy that instead. These days I only buy the things I actually need. Bikes are pretty durable things.

Think if I was touring in the middle of nowhere I might take some spokes, a gear cable and a spare mech hanger. Doubt I'd be taking spare STIs and derailleurs...
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    U wot m8?
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    If I was configuring a cheap touring bike I'd probably look at something like the Thorn Sherpa and start configuring a bike to be similar to that on the cheap. That uses 26" wheels, a mountain bike rear derailleur and various parts designed around reliability and comfort with performance parts not really in the equation. If you already have a parts bin of bits I'd look to focus on what is the best of those parts to use from the perspective of reliability and durability. Many road bike groupsets are focused on performance and making the jump between gears as smooth as possible with tiny increments that is unlikely to be the priority for a touring bike. It really depends on what sort of touring you will be doing though I guess.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Have you stopped taking your medication again?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Makes no difference.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I always tour these days with DT shifters and an 8 speed triple setup. Works fine for me.
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    I sued to carry a spare friction shifter around - could replace either front or rear if anything broke. So I suppose 8 speed would be better, as finding the gear is easier with a friction shifter.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    What's the chance of busting a shifter?
    can't you "just" buy some downtube or bar end shifters and use them in non-index mode?

My Raceface XC Mtn Handlebars with Shimano XT SL-M771 shifters 9 speed, Avid Speed dial Brake levers, Garmin Edge Explorer 1000 GPS on my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008
    https://imgur.com/gallery/SIaiKZs