Novatec free hubs

Darrellj1588
Darrellj1588 Posts: 4
edited May 2019 in MTB general
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum so bare with me! I recently bought a vitus escarpe with novatec hubs and the free hub isn't that loud, my older cannondale free hub noise was really loud and that's what I prefer! My question is there an upgrade that I can do to make my novatec hub alot louder?

My current hub is Novatec D462SB-SL-S5S-B12-11S, 32H, 148x12mm "Boost" I dont understand any of them number is someone could help me with that aswell

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    fairly odd request although I think I understand why youd want to, I dont believe there is anything you can do to increase hub noise, its just the way its designed, replacing the freehub body wouldnt work as they are specific to that hub
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Hello everyone I'm new to this forum so bare with me! I recently bought a vitus escarpe with novatec hubs and the free hub isn't that loud, my older cannondale free hub noise was really loud and that's what I prefer! My question is there an upgrade that I can do to make my novatec hub alot louder?

My current hub is Novatec D462SB-SL-S5S-B12-11S, 32H, 148x12mm "Boost" I dont understand any of them number is someone could help me with that aswell

Any help would be appreciated

Are you asking if your free hub is supposed to be clicking or not? Some do, others don't.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Remove the freehub and clean the grease off the pawls and ratchet, use a light oil on the pawls and re-fit. Don't forget to re-apply the oil regularly as it won't last as long. Alternatively, just live with it.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Some hubs are simply noisier than others. I have Hope hubs on one set of wheels and E13 on another. Both are quite `noisy`.

My Superstar Fuel Hubs (made my Novatech I believe), aren't as noisy and never will be.

You can try to take some grease out to encourage the pawls to click a bit more, but you risk longer term issues if you do not keep on top of them.

Or buy new hubs.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I loved how quiet my old Novatech hubs were.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just attach a clothes peg to your frame and use it to hold a lolly stick into your spokes and you can have it lovely and noisy ;-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)