Gore Shakedry - Hi Vis mens version

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited May 2019 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

I've just ordered a C5 version as below.
gore-c5-goretex-shakedry-1985-viz-jacket-black-neon-yellow-EV325694-8510-1.jpg

I would have preferred the closer fit and cut of the C7, which is available in non high vis versions only for men it would seem.

For some reason there is a women's C7 hi vis version though:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-womens-c7-gore-tex-shakedry-viz-jacket/

Am I missing the obvious?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Looks like the C5 mens are similar in cut to the C7 for womens. Not sure why but check the cut out. The Men C7 cut is more race oriented and looks to be very different to the C7 womens model.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Looks like the C5 mens are similar in cut to the C7 for womens. Not sure why but check the cut out. The Men C7 cut is more race oriented and looks to be very different to the C7 womens model.

Thanks Gabriel, hadn't spotted that!
    How bizarre.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Would love a review of this when you get it, would like to upgrade for summer wet commuting.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not got this jacket but the castelli version with the same material. I think it was almost half price in a sale. Bloody brilliant. 4 hours of rain and nothing got through. Love it to bits.
  • daniel_b
    greenamex2 wrote:
    Would love a review of this when you get it, would like to upgrade for summer wet commuting.

No worries at all, only got my hands on it today, but will remember to feedback - I have high hopes, as they get rave reviews.

Was £165 from CRC with the BC discount, plus TCB cashback.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I am interested in this or the Castelli version but have heard it doesn't work well with backpacks / courier bags as the material works a bit like a tent ie waterproof stops working when in contact. Would be interested to hear any feedback from fellow commutters on this who have either jacket and use a bag...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I am interested in this or the Castelli version but have heard it doesn't work well with backpacks / courier bags as the material works a bit like a tent ie waterproof stops working when in contact. Would be interested to hear any feedback from fellow commutters on this who have either jacket and use a bag...
    I have the castelli idro . I would not use a backpack/courier bag at all with it, as it would knacker the jacket after a couple of uses. The material is really quite delicate. If it's raining on a Monday morning or Friday evening (when I use a bag) I either put up with the wet, or use a cheap and cheerful boil in the bag jacket.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good god no. It's crazy thin. Any bag would wear through the material in no time.

It's a great jacket but you can't carry a backpack with it. I'd not even put a musette bag over it.

Either get a sturdier but inferior jacket or fit panniers.
  • daniel_b
    In one of the reviews I read, it did state that Gore were working on a version that could survive a backpack being worn.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Tried it on tonight for the first time.

As suspected, the coloured bits are clearly not shakedry material, so not sure if they are dwr treated or something, but presumably compromises it to some degree.
    Fit not as snug as I would like if I'm being honest, but probably like it enough to keep it and use it in anger.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • OK thanks for the replies - not really an option for me as I need to carry a bag everyday and can't fit panniers. Will stick with the gabba which is still a good jacket but not 100% waterproof and quite heavy for summer. Still tempted by it for weekends but seems a bit excessively expensive for something I might use in anger 5-10 times a year.
  • daniel_b
    OK thanks for the replies - not really an option for me as I need to carry a bag everyday and can't fit panniers. Will stick with the gabba which is still a good jacket but not 100% waterproof and quite heavy for summer. Still tempted by it for weekends but seems a bit excessively expensive for something I might use in anger 5-10 times a year.

This is off Road CC from August 2018:
    This jacket is pretty much perfect; the only thing it is currently lacking is strength in the fabric at the shoulders for carrying a backpack, but commuters fear not, Gore hasn't forgotten you and is working hard on a version that will work with a rucksack. It will then, surely, be the ultimate all-round jacket.

Based on that, you would think they may well have something within 18 months of that date, so stick with what you have currently, and then maybe look again this time next year?

It also seems the coloured panels on the 'Vis' jackets are made from Gore-Tex Active - and a google claims that is also waterproof, with no mention of DWR treatment........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Deleted post
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    Wore it yesterday for the first time on a short school pickup.

Initial impressions are it's very breathable, doesn't seem to rustle horribly, and it's perhaps a little large for it's stated small size.

On the plus side, this does mean it will fit over a thick jersey, and as I am going out on Saturday for my first group ride of 40 miles, and it's going to feel -2 at that point so I will be donning a base layer, thickish jersey, and this jacket.
    I don't think I will be working that hard, so be good to see if this can keep me warm enough, and in the unlikely event I get too warm, I could stash it in a back pocket.
    It's certainly not as packable as some of the really thin rain jacket types, but it feels like good quality, and I hope it will prove a good buy.

I had been considering the insulated version as well, as there were some stupidly cheap ones on ebay, apparently brand new, and not seconds, but only in medium - for £115 instead of the eye watering RRP of £320 - but after seeing how large the small is, realise the medium would be unwearable for me.

If it's too big to wear over a summer jersey, I might keep an eye out for a 7Mesh Oro as someone mentioned on here.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Wore this yesterday on my first group ride.

Sunny, but feeling around 0 when I went out, and pretty cold throughout the ride.

I feel the cold, so had sorpassos, craft base layer, thickish Ale LS jersey, a buff, and then this over the top.
    Took it on the premise that I could stash it if I got too warm, but that never happened, but it did make the difference between a comfortable ride and a cold one.

Worked perfectly on the flat, never felt like overheating when climbing, and am very very happy with it.
    Not cheap, and yet still vfm - for what it provides, and the quality of the garment imho.

Removed it at the cafe stop, and not damp or sweaty within, and no signs of moisture on the inside at all.

The only negative for me is the perhaps slightly large size - what don't they make an XS I wonder, as I think it would be stupidly large over a summer jersey only, especially when I have my weight down properly.

Having said that, I do have an Assos (copy and paste) iJ.tiBuruJacket_evo7 Black 3XL thingy that is far more form fitting, but apparently is not waterproof.......or even resistant.

EDIT: Just found this on a 7 Mesh Oro review - and they go to XS, think I will have to keep my eyes peeled:
    The jacket is very well designed and the fit is excellent. I have tried the Gore Bike branded Shakedry jackets at a show and the fit is very baggy compared to this. I particularly like the vents at the back that allow you to reach through to your jersey pockets.

*If anyone sees a good offer (Better than the £170 on Wiggle/CRC) on one could they please pm me - there are very few out in the wilds of ebay!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2019
    Wore this out again on a 06:30 start 67 mile ride on Monday.

I feel the cold, so went with Sorpasso bibs, merino ls base layer, Castelli Alpha (Jersey not jacket!), and the Gore over the top.
    Was spot on, no over heating issues, and took it off just before ascending Streatley hill, and rolls small enough to stuff into a jersey rear pocket, even those these were fairly well loaded!

Left it off until a cafe stop, wher I donned it whilst consuming said coffee, and then just left it on for the rest of the ride, as it became cloudy and the wind picked up as well - really really happy with this jacket, one of my best purchases, looking forward to see how it fairs in the rain.

It is a little bit big on me, over those layers, but there was no annoying noises and flappage you get with some other less breathable windblocker jackets\gilets - I'm looking at you Sportful Hotpack.

This seems to have all of the benefits, with none of the drawbacks - it may even help me slim down my wardrobe, and punt them out on ebay.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Daniel B wrote:
    Wore this out again on a 06:30 start 67 mile ride on Monday.

I feel the cold, so went with Sorpasso bibs, merino ls base layer, Castelli Alpha, and the Gore over the top.
    Was spot on, no over heating issues, and took it off just before ascending Streatley hill, and rolls small enough to stuff into a jersey rear pocket, even those these were fairly well loaded!

Left it off until a cafe stop, wher I donned it whilst consuming said coffee, and then just left it on for the rest of the ride, as it became cloudy and the wind picked up as well - really really happy with this jacket, one of my best purchases, looking forward to see how it fairs in the rain.

It is a little bit big on me, over those layers, but there was no annoying noises and flappage you get with some other less breathable windblocker jackets\gilets - I'm looking at you Sportful Hotpack.

This seems to have all of the benefits, with none of the drawbacks - it may even help me slim down my wardrobe, and punt them out on ebay.

Thanks for the update...maybe next pay day!
  • Ended up pushing the button on this last week as I had the Fred Whitton ride over the weekend and heir rules mandate a "long sleeved" waterproof / windproof. Got it on 50% sale in Wiffle. Can't comment on its wet weather performance but wore it as a top layer for the first 2-3 hours till it warmed up a bit and it's breathability and wind-proofiness is great. Almost looking forwards to a proper downpour...
  • daniel_b
    Ended up pushing the button on this last week as I had the Fred Whitton ride over the weekend and heir rules mandate a "long sleeved" waterproof / windproof. Got it on 50% sale in Wiffle. Can't comment on its wet weather performance but wore it as a top layer for the first 2-3 hours till it warmed up a bit and it's breathability and wind-proofiness is great. Almost looking forwards to a proper downpour...

Indeed, I think it may be one of those 'game changers' I have yet to experience - well power meter aside.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18