Giro 2019 Pre Race Chat 'n Stuff

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Less than a week to go and a blank week of racing ahead. Might as well start up a thread for all things pink.
As an opener, the English version of the Giro roadbook is available to download, or just browse.

https://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-conte ... ow_res.pdf
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Moscon also out of the sky team and cycling news comment people reckon no Sosa to.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Maybe we should merge this thread with the Bernal thread?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Damn I'm working next weekend, going to have to catch up when I get in
  • blazing_saddles
    From no contract riding holidays to the Giro: Connor Dunne.

D Cimolai
    R Plaza
    C Dunne
    G Boivin
    K Neilands
    K Sbaragli
    A Gebremedhin
    G Niv

Dumoulin's Sunweb gang:

Jan Bakelants
    Louis Vervaeke
    Tom Dumoulin
    Sam Oomen
    Chad Haga
    Chris Hamilton
    Jai Hindley
    Robert Power

Swiss Toni's boys:

Manuel Belletti
    Mattia Cattaneo
    Miguel Florez
    Marco Frapporti
    Francesco Gavazzi
    Fausto Masnada
    Matteo Montaguti
    Andrea Vendrame
  • blazing_saddles
    Quite a few teams have been naming their line ups this morning. Rather than put up a long list, they can be seen here with a green tick besides the team name.

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html ... d=MjkyNTQ=

I generally find them much more reliable than PCS for instance.
    Currently, they do show Sosa in the Ineos line up, plus................Eddie Dunbar.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,596
    gsk82 wrote:
    Moscon also out of the sky team and cycling news comment people reckon no Sosa to.

Moscon quite the focal point of rumours right now ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    CarbonClem wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Based on people adding two and two together and getting an elephant.

The rumours haven't been mentioned by anyone remotely credible and seemed to be constructed from

a) He's apparently been dropped for the Giro (Hint: He's been crap all season)
    b) He mysteriously moved to Innsbruck for no apparent reason (Hint: Look at a map. Innsbruck is the closest international airport to were he grew up)
    c) An Austrian doping ring was recently busted. (Hint: the doping ring was actually 600km away in Erfurt, Germany)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Eddie Dunbar is in for Ineos.:D Sosa appears to be riding too. Looks like an interesting team of young climbers from Ineos.

DD.
  • RichN95.
    Eddie Dunbar is in for Ineos.:D Sosa appears to be riding too. Looks like an interesting team of young climbers from Ineos.

DD.
    I don't think anything is confirmed. Dunbar said yesterday that he was being considered, nothing more.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Perhaps not confirmed but there are strong indications that it might be true;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dunbar- ... e-showing/

&

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html ... d=MjkyNTQ=

DD.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,596
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

The rumours haven't been mentioned by anyone remotely credible and seemed to be constructed from

b) He mysteriously moved to Innsbruck for no apparent reason (Hint: Look at a map. Innsbruck is the closest international airport to were he grew up)
    c) An Austrian doping ring was recently busted. (Hint: the doping ring was actually 600km away in Erfurt, Germany)

Guilty then :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    RichN95 wrote:

DD.
    I don't think anything is confirmed. Dunbar said yesterday that he was being considered, nothing more.

Makes me tired just watching them race that route. The giro is bonkers hard. The recovery of these guys is amazing. I get they are lighter faster etc. I can relate to that. But just getting up with your legs that hammered. And I used to ride dispatch for 10 winters on the trot. Going to work with legs is something I know about. That was 30 years ago. Yates Coming back and winning the vuelta after falling to pieces on the finestre last year was true class. How smashed would you be after that.? I hope the youngsters don't spasmofy their season.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:

Quite the slur . No one likes him anyway I guess. Should have got the boot ages ago.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    RichN95 wrote:

DD.

Has he attacked yet? :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    Very excited for the prologue and the final week.
  • blazing_saddles
    I notice that neither Michael Woods or David Gaudu, who were penciled in to ride, prior to Romandie, are not in their team's final selection. Betancur surprisingly not riding for Movistar, either, given his form and the fact that the Giro once was his happy hunting ground.
    While the French teams (Ag2r I'm looking at you) can be expected to send their leftovers, it's EF who take the weak team prize with their collection of dometiques and an out of form, third rate sprinter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Very excited for the prologue and the final week.

:lol: Masterful backhanded compliment.

It does look a bit of a sprint-fest in between.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ineos lineup, Tao and Sivakov joint leaders

https://www.teamineos.com/article/geogh ... o-d-italia

Geoghegan Hart (24) and Sivakov (21) will be joined on the start line in Bologna on May 11th by Eddie Dunbar, Sebastian Henao, Christian Knees, Jhonatan Narvaez, Salvatore Puccio and Ivan Sosa.

Average age is 25, which given that Knees is included must make some of them about 12.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    Stages 16 and 20 look like days to set aside to spend the whole day with great scenery and racing.

It's definitely a two sprinter course for fantasy cycling though.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Glad to see it’s going to Croce D’Aune - after which that gloriously exotic and most coveted Campapg groupset was named after..
    CIMG7133.JPG

I say coveted, but after finally getting to hold one in my arms, I realised that only the likes of LeMond and Induráin in their prime produced enough power to haul this stuff up mountains.
  • RichN95.
    James Knox is starting his first GT for Quick Step, in support of Jungels and Viviani. Mostly the former in his case I guess.
  • mididoctors
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Glad to see it’s going to Croce D’Aune - after which that gloriously exotic and most coveted Campapg groupset was named after..
    CIMG7133.JPG

I say coveted, but after finally getting to hold one in my arms, I realised that only the likes of LeMond and Induráin in their prime produced enough power to haul this stuff up mountains.

Those delta brakes weighed a ton and were crap. Looked cool.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Those delta brakes weighed a ton and were crap. Looked cool.

And, at the end of the day, that is all that really matters 8)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Huge amounts of snow in the Alps at the moment could make the high mountains interesting.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    davidof wrote:
    Huge amounts of snow in the Alps at the moment could make the high mountains interesting.

Webcam at the Gavia looks quite unwelcoming just now.
  • blazing_saddles
    Going on the forecast, from Sunday, it's going to be warmer in the UK than central Italy, too. Looks like the peloton will experience some of those super slick urban roads during the first week. Not the greatest field depth in terms of genuine GC contenders, so lets hope we don't lose any before the mountains.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,569
    I've read a few comments about how weak the field is, and I'm really not sure that is true: S Yates, Doumoulin, Nibali, Lopez, Landa, Aru, Zakarin and this year's favourite Roglic.

Missing: Froome, Thomas, A Yates, Bardet, Valverde, Quintana, Bernal, Porte, Fugslang and Uran. Not sure how many of those could have been expected to ride.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2019
    First the good news: There will be a free option to watch each stage of the Giro live on tv in the UK.
    Now the bad news: In Welsh, as it will be on S4C.
    No idea whether they will have the red button option for English language commentary.