Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

angrod
angrod Posts: 43
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi !
I want to get into road cycling, and I'm gonna buy a bike soon.
I'm a total beginner ( I've just been riding on a regular basis, on the road with my mtb, for like 7 month [between 700 and ~1300km per month], other than that I have no experience ), and I struggle choosing which type of bike to choose as a beginner willing to get in a club/train seriously to get a good level, and if possible realize my dream to become a pro and be able to make a living out of it ( although everyone told me it'll impossible to do so strating this late [I'm 23yo] :/ ).
Without hesitation, I prefer Disc brakes and don't like rim brakes at all. The thing is I read that It could be a problem having disc brakes in a group of riders with rim brakes. An rim brakes are stille very common. So I wonder if it can really be a big deal, to the point where it's better to buy a bike with rim brake for now.

By the way if you have an endurance bike to recommend [ under 2300€ ], I'll appreciate your help. Right now I feel like Trek Emonda ALR 5 Disc is a good one to go for. Boardman SLR 9.0 Disc looks good too.
I want a good bike, with good quality, that's, if possible, easily upgradable into a pretty decent bike in the future. But not a bike too good for a beginner that won't even be able to use all the potential of the bike.

Thanks, and I hope my topic wasn't too much of a pain to read, I'm not a native english speaker.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Rim or disc makes no difference. Lots of pros are still on rim brakes and they don't pay for their bikes - so ignore the marketing hype. They just want to sell new bikes.

2300 is a lot for your first road bike - pay half of that and you'll get a bike that's more than good enough and when you crash it you can repair/replace it.

If you're good enough you won't be paying for bikes in a year or two but it's a long shot.

Join a club and learn how to ride there.

Good luck with it.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    If you prefer disc brakes and are comfortable with how to look after them then get disc brakes.

The perceived problems of groups riding on a mix of disc and rim brakes seem to have been a non event. The pro peloton is a mix of disc and rim brakes.

Not going to suggest a bike, I'm a rim break rider myself. There are loads of great bikes for well under your budget. Just make sure you get one that fits properly.
  • angrod
    cougie wrote:
    2300 is a lot for your first road bike - pay half of that and you'll get a bike that's more than good enough and when you crash it you can repair/replace it.

The thing is I really love riding my bike, and ride it at least ~2h30 per day. So I want to buy myself a pleasure since bike is the only thing I would invest a lot into.
    Thanks for the encouragement !
    paulwood wrote:
    The perceived problems of groups riding on a mix of disc and rim brakes seem to have been a non event. The pro peloton is a mix of disc and rim brakes.

Ok I see, disc brakes it will be then.

Thanks for the help !
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Angrod wrote:
    The thing is I read that It could be a problem having disc brakes in a group of riders with rim brakes.

It isn't.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no bike will be too good for you. its just a bicycle. buy disc or rim brake - it doesn't make a difference. ignore people who say you are spending too much - its your money and if you are riding it lots then you will have something nice.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • angrod
    no bike will be too good for you.

I guess the only problem would be me feeling guilty not exploiting the benefits I got from paying like 300€ more. It feels like a waste spending extra money to have, for example, a carbon frame although I won't even be able to appreciate it since I don't have any point of reference.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It will not be a problem for long. You soon get used to spending money on bikes and cycling stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Angrod wrote:
    no bike will be too good for you.

I guess the only problem would be me feeling guilty not exploiting the benefits I got from paying like 300€ more. It feels like a waste spending extra money to have, for example, a carbon frame although I won't even be able to appreciate it since I don't have any point of reference.

hopefully you appreciate nice things. its a waste of money to buy something you don't really want.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    If you have the money buy what you want, I spent years saving for a rainy day that never came, now I have loads of money but not great health.

Enjoy it while you can.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    this is a good example of marketing twaddle meets internet numpties and creates confusing tosh that drives people to spend a ton of money they dont need.

to the OP Buy what you want....
    Disc or rimbrake it makes no odds unless you have a very very narrow performance advantage for either. Generally good rim brakes are excellent, so are good disc brakes. I prefer the asthetics of rim brakes plus I have a load of wheels. Ive noticed that in the real world i brake much later than my club mates going into corners down hill I stop just as quickly, even in the wet and i dont get brake fade when Im in the Pyrenees.

of course there may be an element of skill and experience but none the less my personal experience has been i just dont see what the hype is about. My race bike is a few years old, its not aero and i dont get dropped. It only has room for 23mm tyres, yet i feel quite comfortable. I dont use a a garmin mapping device but i dont get lost, I havent had a bike fit and my knees havent exploded.

Despite mocking power for an amateur for years I have to concede that training and power is a revalation. no need to race with it, I prefer to do what needs to be done.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    this is a good example of marketing twaddle meets internet numpties and creates confusing tosh that drives people to spend a ton of money they dont need.

Disc or rimbrake it makes no odds unless you have a very very narrow performance advantage for either. Generally good rim brakes are excellent, so are good disc brakes. I prefer the asthetics of rim brakes plus I have a load of wheels. Ive noticed that in the real world i brake much later than my club mates going into corners down hill I stop just as quickly, even in the wet and i dont get brake fade when Im in the Pyrenees.

of course there may be an element of skill and experience but none the less my personal experience has been i just dont see what the hype is about. My race bike is a few years old, its not aero and i dont get dropped. It only has room for 23mm tyres, yet i feel quite comfortable. I dont use a a garmin mapping device but i dont get lost, I havent had a bike fit and my knees havent exploded.

Despite mocking power for an amateur for years I have to concede that training and power is a revalation. no need to race with it, I prefer to do what needs to be done.

^^ This should be pinned at the top of this forum.
  • Matthewfalle
    hypster wrote:
    Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

^^ This should be pinned at the top of this forum.

agree completely.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    edited May 2019
    I haven't got disc on any of my 3 bikes and never tried them but I was under the impression that disc were definitely better especially in the wet. I know GCN did a video/test on this and this is what they found. Marginally better in the dry but significantly better in wet. Are you all saying then that this is incorrect?

Not taking a contrary stand point, just asking.

GCN video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hKMgUEku4

This was two years ago so bound to be tons of other videos around now but this is the one I recall watching at the time.

I should say I'm more than happy with rim brakes on my bikes, I almost always only ride in dry anyway. If I regularly rode in wet maybe I'd consider discs.

Another edit: Chris Hoy says disc definitely better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UUNxw8Rg1M
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I haven't got disc on any of my 3 bikes and never tried them but I was under the impression that disc were definitely better especially in the wet. I know GCN did a video/test on this and this is what they found. Marginally better in the dry but significantly better in wet. Are you all saying then that this is incorrect?

I have disc on my Synapse and Rim on my Boardman. The only major difference I notice is in the moments when you have to stop now, preferably sooner. Disc is a bit more responsive under those emergency situations. I prefer the look of disc in that there nothing (obviously) where the rim brakes would normally be.

I'm happy to ride either.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    meursault wrote:

I have disc on my Synapse and Rim on my Boardman. The only major difference I notice is in the moments when you have to stop now, preferably sooner. Disc is a bit more responsive under those emergency situations. Of course, they are both going to skid when physics determines that point. I prefer the look of disc in that there nothing (obviously) where the rim brakes would normally be.

I'm happy to ride either.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • cougie
    If discs were an advantage worth having do you not think that someone like Sky/Ineos would make sure they were all using them ? Marginal gains and all that.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    cougie wrote:
    If discs were an advantage worth having do you not think that someone like Sky/Ineos would make sure they were all using them ? Marginal gains and all that.

Good point, only thing maybe is the extra weight of disc brakes? Watching Tour de Yorkshire I noticed that more teams are using disc brakes these days but plenty riders still on rims.
  • cougie
    And the TDY was very wet. Weight can't be an issue as the bikes have to hit the minimum weight anyway
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have ultegra rim and ultegra disc. In terms of performance theres nothing in it. If buying again I wouldnt pay extra for disc
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    kingrollo wrote:
    I have ultegra rim and ultegra disc. In terms of performance theres nothing in it. If buying again I wouldnt pay extra for disc

I agree entirely with the first two thirds of the above. I have 6800 rim brakes and 105 hydraulic discs. The big advantage of discs for me is that in wet weather I dont have to listen to my brake pads grinding away at my rims. The disadvantage is that I have random periods when my disc brakes squeal,very loudly. A bit of messing about fixes the problem but rim brakes are very much fit and forget.
    If I was limited to one bike and one pair of wheels,I would go disc.
  • angrod
    cougie wrote:

I've heard that they don't because of weight.

I saw the video, and it's what made me hesitate. I will definately ride a lot in winter in the rain, I don't mind it. So It seems obvious to me to go for disc brakes.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Like a number of contributors to this thread I have a hydraulic disc and a rim braked bike.

The rim braked is lighter, quieter when braking and the first choice if the weather is ok. In those conditions I have enough braking power.

The disc braked bike with mudguards is a godsend when its currently raining or the roads are littered with puddles. The discs are affected by water but to a much lesser degree - and you don't turn your rims into grey powder.

However the discs are noisier and heavier. Even if you don't get squeal the rrrrr of the pads on the holes in the disc is audible.

I believe you can get a disc bike that is very light but you are talking a lot of money.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    lesfirth wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

I agree entirely with the first two thirds of the above. I have 6800 rim brakes and 105 hydraulic discs. The big advantage of discs for me is that in wet weather I dont have to listen to my brake pads grinding away at my rims. The disadvantage is that I have random periods when my disc brakes squeal,very loudly. A bit of messing about fixes the problem but rim brakes are very much fit and forget.
    If I was limited to one bike and one pair of wheels,I would go disc.

I should add I am quite a nervous cyclists - so if its raining I adjust my speed accordingly. I also tend to feather the breaks a fair bit. If I were a racer - who descend at speed then slam the brakes at the very last moment maybe I would feel some benefit of discs.

The only other point is IMO I believe (rightly or wrongly) discs are the future - so you *might* find your options limited if you wanted a wheel upgrade a few years down the line - a bit like buying wheels now with a 10 speed hub.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Like anything else it varies but assuming they are both setup properly and well maintained the advantages of good quality hydraulic disc brakes tend to come from the much increased braking power giving more fine control for less effort and also better braking in the wet. This becomes a lot more apparent for heavier riders or on looser surfaces. This is why they are widespread in mountain biking and also on Gravel bikes. As long as they do not get contaminated with oil or similar and you do not want to use multiple wheel sets they work fine.

Being a 2m , 100KG bronzed Adonis of biking I find they work much better than rim brakes for me on road being able to stop a lot faster and in a more controlled way than rim brakes. In the end it is down to personal preference and what makes you enjoy your riding.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Honk, honk, honk, hooooooooooooooonk, honk!

The current sound of sportive across the UK.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    I don't think their is a huge difference in braking. When u know how to brake you know how to brake.

For me what might tip the scale in favour of discs is its cheaper to,replace rotors than wheels... weight doesn't really matter that much to your average punter
  • green_mark
    green_mark Posts: 74
    The main advantages I see with discs is if you want a bike that can take run wider tyres. Anything over 28mm and you'll be losing leverage on long-throw rim calipers.
  • gt8374uh9jiodpo
    gt8374uh9jiodpo Posts: 51
    edited May 2019
    Angrod wrote:
    I prefer Disc brakes and don't like rim brakes at all..

What is the above based on?

Speaking as a noob I recently purchased a second hand road bike with rims, can report that it stops quicker than my hybrid which has discs, though I admit probably cheap discs that have not really been lubricated that often.

Having said that I am a fine weather cyclist, aside from commuting in the rain on the hybrid.

If I eventually upgrade my roadcurrent bike it will be rims again.

I think making sure the brakes are tight and well maintained is more important than the type.