Bernal out of Giro too

Dorset_Boy
Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Big blow as Bernal breaks collar bone in training. :(:(:(

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The Giro currently losing it's star riders at the rate of one per day.
    They afford either Roglic, Zakarin, Carapaz or Landa to crash tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    at this rate I could get a ride and win
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    What do Ineos do? Thomas looks in good shape, maybe promote him. Or do you bet on Sivakov and Sosa?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Stick Geraint in there, better chance for him than TdF vs Froome.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    True. Get Geraint in and hope he can ride into form. Or try Kwiatkowski which won't work against Roglic and Dumoulin
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    Imagine they told Froome that due to injury to the team leader, to forget his Tour prep, to ride the Giro.
    Why would the current TDF champ be expected to accept anything less?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Imagine they told Froome that due to injury to the team leader, to forget his Tour prep, to ride the Giro.
    Because a widely held perception is g was lucky, will never win again froome is better etc etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Because he’s only won one.

Send him to the Giro and the Tour.

Froome can do the Tour and the Vuelta and so can Bernal.
  • RichN95.
    Ask Wiggins
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    tao
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Or be super innovative and take a team to try and win EVERY stage. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    Landa pulled out of today's stage in Asturias with a toe problem.
    Just sayin'.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Froome has said the place had been filled already. Didn't say who with though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    cougie wrote:
    Froome has said the place had been filled already. Didn't say who with though.

His grin suggested Thomas. Thomas's TT today suggested he was making a point about not being fit.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    RichN95 wrote:
    What do Ineos do? Thomas looks in good shape, maybe promote him. Or do you bet on Sivakov and Sosa?

These plus Tao and give them the chance to shine. They might not win the overall but the experience would prob give them a terrific experience of leadership. It may also put them off cycling but the Yates Brothers have risen well. The Schlecks were less successful. I'm sure the management will know what to do.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I can't think of anyone with a realistic chance of a podium who isn't already in the team or penciled in as a TdF starter.

So yeah, give it to the youngsters. Whether to go stage hunting or target a GC result/young rider jersey/KoM I'm not sure. Probably a mix of the first two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    tim000 wrote:
    tao
    told you :D
    TEAM NEWS: @taogeoghegan & @PavelSivakov will lead @TeamINEOS at the @giroditalia! Here's our full lineup for the first Grand Tour of the season
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I guess a stage isn't out of the question thou paradoxical it's more likely to occur if they try and ride for GC. Top twenty would be pretty good. That or cracking into a thousand pieces.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Brailsford is quoted as saying they "won't change their approach", though what that means isn't entirely obvious.

Presumably that could be interpreted as that they're going for a learning experience and targeting GC, which is what I assume they'd have been doing with Bernal.

Race strategy and tactics are likely to change though, with Bernal they'd definitely be looking for him to take time on MTFs, and would probably be trying to control the race to help him do so. He would also have been the only protected GC rider, so both Tao and Sivakov would have been turning themselves inside out for him. Now they've got two leaders (at least to start with) to protect, so one less domestique. But they also have two prongs to the attack.

Will they try and control things if they're not in Pink or podium places? Or let other teams do the work and try and play one-two attacks with Tao and Sivakov?
  • Just my humble two-bobs-worth, but I think the best they can do for the development of 2 young riders is to give them the target of both finishing in the top 20, ideally with one of them cracking the top 10.

All well and good going for the glory of stage wins, but they'll develop better as grand tour riders if they have to race every day to maintain their GC position, going with moves and learning to conserve energy wherever possible, but without the pressure of aiming for the podium.
  • RichN95.
    "You can't win anything with kids"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Will they try and control things if they're not in Pink or podium places? Or let other teams do the work and try and play one-two attacks with Tao and Sivakov?

I don't see any reason for them to do so, leave that to the teams with established favourites and see how their youngsters manage trying to stay in contention.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    RichN95 wrote:
    "You can't win anything with kids"

Except the tour of Alps and out sprinting nibali

:D
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    They and the management will see if they have what it takes to shine. TGH might be good but could be a la Geraint Thomas ie super domestique. But he wont know that until the pressure goes on. Good luck to him and Sivakov, chances like this don't come around too often. Bernal must be a shoe-in for the Vuelta now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    amrushton wrote:
    They and the management will see if they have what it takes to shine. TGH might be good but could be a la Geraint Thomas ie super domestique. But he wont know that until the pressure goes on. Good luck to him and Sivakov, chances like this don't come around too often. Bernal must be a shoe-in for the Vuelta now.

I'm expecting at least one of Froome or Thomas to be riding the Vuelta.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    amrushton wrote:

TGH seems to be very much the sort of rider who can handle the pressure. He's already shown a high level of maturity and the way he has let his career progress, getting some Pro Conti level experience rather than jumping straight into World Tour, suggests he has his head screwed on right. Look and some of the riders that came through the system with him and made the jump straight to the top level who have unfortunately either dropped back down or left the sport.