Council elections 2019

sparquin
sparquin Posts: 69
edited May 2019 in The cake stop
We didn't have one round my way, but it was still fun to listen to the news coverage the next day. I do like the way they always pick representatives of the parties who've been soundly beaten to interview first.

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    No point in my voting at ours in New Forest.
    Had a choice of 2 from 4 candidates - 2 cons and 2 labs.
    So no choice at all but to bin my voting reg card and mowed the lawn instead. It's looking rather good this year too. I've spiked and lifted the turf. Treated it. Raked the moss out. Dug out those pesky weeds. Just got some patches to reseed and it'll look like Centre Court by middle of June.

I'm never voting for main parties ever again.
    The old bints here in New Milton would vote for a dead dog in a blue wig so long as it kept the Torries in.
    Torries held onto council but lost quite a few seats where the Lib Dems put up candidates.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Cons -30%
    Lab - 10%
    UKIP down too

Lib Dems up a lot...

Sounds like a Brexit rebellion to me... it now looks like a turd that nobody can polish
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Mr Goo wrote:
    So no choice at all but to bin my voting reg card and mowed the lawn instead. It's looking rather good this year too. I've spiked and lifted the turf. Treated it. Raked the moss out. Dug out those pesky weeds. Just got some patches to reseed and it'll look like Centre Court by middle of June.

The old bints here in New Milton would vote for a dead dog in a blue wig so long as it kept the Torries in.
    Torries held onto council but lost quite a few seats where the Lib Dems put up candidates.

That's a depressing read. Were there really only 4 candidates in your ward? Perhaps you should stand next time, rather than forego your vote.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sparquin
    sparquin Posts: 69
    Cons -30%
    Lab - 10%
    UKIP down too

Lib Dems up a lot...

Sounds like a Brexit rebellion to me... it now looks like a turd that nobody can polish

And yet, between squirming and trying to claim that being beaten showed how well they'd done, the Conservative and Labour people both said it was because they couldn't get moving on Brexit. I agree with your point, it does look more like the people are voting against the parties that are still trying to do Brexit.
  • mr_goo
    edited May 2019
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

That's a depressing read. Were there really only 4 candidates in your ward? Perhaps you should stand next time, rather than forego your vote.

I wanted to stand at the last ones but was told that I'd only get backing if I ran as a Tory. I politely declined.

One of the Tory councillors seeking re-election is so arrogant in her belief that she will continually be voted in, so does not bother door knocking or campaigning. Mind you the Labour candidates didn't bother either as they were only standing as someone had to..... Wasted party funds.
    Anyhow this councillor won't speak to me now after I called her corrupt for not standing up against the over development of the New Forest for which she is Housing committee chair.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I just took a look at a few of the Wards, in one there were only 2 candidates (1 Labour and 1 Tory). Quite a few seemed to have only Labour and Tory options, others just Tory and Lib Dem and I think at least one was Tories and Greens. Labour seemed to get a hammering there but Lib Dems did well where they stood.
  • mr_goo
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I just took a look at a few of the Wards, in one there were only 2 candidates (1 Labour and 1 Tory). Quite a few seemed to have only Labour and Tory options, others just Tory and Lib Dem and I think at least one was Tories and Greens. Labour seemed to get a hammering there but Lib Dems did well where they stood.

That was only saving grace. As you say where Lib Dems stood they seemed to win. However that does depend on the ward. It's not all thatch cottages and rose gardens in the forest....... Fawley to name but one not so good area.
  • rjsterry
    Mr Goo wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I wanted to stand at the last ones but was told that I'd only get backing if I ran as a Tory. I politely declined.

One of the Tory councillors seeking re-election is so arrogant in her belief that she will continually be voted in, so does not bother door knocking or campaigning. Mind you the Labour candidates didn't bother either as they were only standing as someone had to..... Wasted party funds.
    Anyhow this councillor won't speak to me now after I called her corrupt for not standing up against the over development of the New Forest for which she is Housing committee chair.

If no established party fits, a lot of people get elected as independent councillors, and if no other bugger is canvassing you've an open goal. I was reading something about Morecambe Bay Independents who started from much the same point and are now a sort of mini local party.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ugo.santalucia
    Looking less bad for Labour now at around 7% loss...

Tories loss is monumental
  • rjsterry

But clearly in no position to win a GE. They were predicted to gain 150 seats.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ugo.santalucia
    rjsterry wrote:

But clearly in no position to win a GE. They were predicted to gain 150 seats.

I agree... they have tried to keep their foot in way too many shoes... people have been conned by the Brexiteers and Labour should have banked on that sentiment
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Were the Tories saying that keeping it down to a 500 councillor loss would be a good result?

Currently 788 down with more than a quarter of councils still to go.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Do I spot a "Thunberg effect" with the Green getting a + 123?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,165

And yet the Tories still have over 50% more councillors than Labour and 150% more than the Lib Dems. Lost seats but still clearly out in front :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mr Goo wrote:

Sounds very much like our parish one, couple of independents an the conservative one have been round had chats etc. Labour no ones seen her bar a dirty great banner just far enough away to be legal from the polling station.
    Even had one of the independents offering to give people a lift there regardless who they voted for. CC ones come back as NOC so nothing new there. Parish I'm not sure yet hopefully its a change of lead.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:

And yet the Tories still have over 50% more councillors than Labour and 150% more than the Lib Dems. Lost seats but still clearly out in front :)

Is that true, or is that just in those that are up for election this week?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You said the exact same about the last general election and as you can see being the largest party is not enough...

But you are right in the sense that Labour performance 4 years ago was its lowest point, so it is quite something to do even worse
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,165
    It's kind of traditional that the party with the most seats is the winner. The margin may be less here, but a win is still a win.

If you disagree with the above, I'd be interested to hear your theory on how any other party has 'won' these elections by ending up substantially less seats than the Tories.

In the meantime, my commiserations to the losers. You tried hard but it wasn't enough :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Projected GE share of the vote from these results now C 28%, L 28%, LD 19%, Other 25%
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's kind of traditional that the party with the most seats is the winner. The margin may be less here, but a win is still a win.

If you disagree with the above, I'd be interested to hear your theory on how any other party has 'won' these elections by ending up substantially less seats than the Tories.

In the meantime, my commiserations to the losers. You tried hard but it wasn't enough :wink:

In each ward and council of course. Above that there is no real winner. Winning Bath & NE Somerset and Vale of White Horse has no bearing whatsoever on South Gloucestershire or Pendle.

Aggregating different councils' results is only of use to those trying to read the entrails.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    D5pfWWmXsAAcYXs?format=jpg&name=medium

Especially good since the selection up on offer didn’t favour LDs
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You would make a fine Tory party Chairman
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    D5pfWWmXsAAcYXs?format=jpg&name=medium

Especially good since the selection up on offer didn’t favour LDs

surely the story here is the surge of "others"
  • rjsterry
    RC's figures are a bit out of date. Net Conservative losses now over 900.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ugo.santalucia
    rjsterry wrote:

well over a thousand...
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:

Now over 1,100.
  • kingstongraham
    Theresa May says results message is: "Just get on and deliver Brexit."
  • ugo.santalucia

At Uni she must have been one of those students who can only learn things by heart... reading the same paragraph over and over... generally disregarded as imbeciles, sometimes they manage to get quite far in life regardless
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

well over a thousand...

We're going to need a bigger graph...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

See Corbyn's take I posted on the other thread. It's just breathtaking how idiotic they both are.
    Pinnacle Monzonite