Tyre lever recommendation

mw22
mw22 Posts: 78
edited May 2019 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Anyone got any suggestions for good tyre levers?

Running continental 4 seasons 28mm and my issue is getting a lever under the bead. Once I've got it hooked, I can get the tyre off reasonably easily. But it's so tight I find most levers won't get under the bead or have enough "bend" to hold it.

Found the Lezyne power tyre levers the best - but it's taking far longer than it should.

Thanks in advance.
Road: Kuota Kebel
TT: Canyon Speedmax
Work: Norco search

Comments

• langtounboy
    langtounboy Posts: 55
    Pedros :D
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    +1 Pedro's.
    Are you releasing the bead all round to create extra slack first?
  • mw22
    david7m wrote:
    +1 Pedro's.
    Are you releasing the bead all round to create extra slack first?

How do you mean "releasing the bead"?
    Sorry, dumb question (considering how many tyres I have took off!) just really struggling with current tyre/rim combo.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    mw22 wrote:
    Push it away from the outside of the rim (where the brake track is) towards the centre (where the spoke nipples and rim tape are) all the way round, on both sides. This will allow it to sit in the (normally) deeper bit towards the centre of the rim, creating a bit of extra slack elsewhere.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mw22
    TGOTB wrote:
    mw22 wrote:
    Push it away from the outside of the rim (where the brake track is) towards the centre (where the spoke nipples and rim tape are) all the way round, on both sides. This will allow it to sit in the (normally) deeper bit towards the centre of the rim, creating a bit of extra slack elsewhere.

That'll be a "no" then :lol:
    I will give that a try next time. Thanks
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    When I was younger Viners always did the trick...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Good technique is all you need. Not levers or strong wrists. As above, get the tyre bead into the well then squeeze it while holding the tyre from above to get the tyre out of concentric with the rim. It'll then just ease off. New goes on the same. Partially inflate the tube before insertion. Ensure the tyre rim is in the well and the second bead will ease on nicely. Should take 5 mins top to do two new tyres and tubes. Don't forget to get the logo opposite the valve or you'll have to start again.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It's kind of crazy that are there are so many different types/designs of lever, for which is a really simple activity.

However, having said that, it's probably down to the different tyre and rim designs out there. I've always found Continental tyres a pain to get on and off, they always seem "tighter" than the Rubinos that I have settled on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Yeah, release the bead first as above. If that still doesn't work then I agree with the Pedro's recommendation but you need the downhill tyre lever that I used to have but managed to lose somewhere on an alpine trip one year.

CARE: this thing can ruin your rims if not used carefully

prod10021_IMGSET?wid=586&hei=498
    FCN = 4
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 49
    I used the Schwalbe ones at the weekend to fit Pro One tubeless on my Krysiums, the little notch worked perfectly to prevent the tyre unwinding and they went on like a dream

Youtube shows how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wspSS_LX_Y
  • Carbonne
    Carbonne Posts: 20
    Try a Tyrekey....works a treat and made in Yorkshire !
    It\'s not the destination that\'s important, it\'s the journey!
  • mw22
    Carbonne wrote:
    Try a Tyrekey....works a treat and made in Yorkshire !

I've got a tyre key - I can't get it under the bead at all. Great for the other functions when I've got something under the bead... till then tyrekey not worked at all for me.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706