BEST Climbing Alloy Wheels Recommendations

jonosas
jonosas Posts: 42
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
:evil:

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Very little real world noticeable difference.

Nice wheels though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jonosas wrote:
    Look Forward To some good Responses.

:lol:

Realistically, 'climbing' wheels also need to be 'descending' wheels, unless you're planning on a wheel-change at the top. They also need to be 'riding on the flat' wheels, unless you only plan to start at the bottom of the climb, and finish at the bottom of the descent.

In other words - there ain't no such thing as 'climbing wheels'. Just 'wheels'. Otherwise, what shirley said.
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited April 2019
    Also have my carbons as you can see but not using these for climbing days . 8) 8)
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Only thing euros don't have is the textured braking track that the Mavic exalith may have
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I’ve had a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite for a few years now. They’ve been to the Alps a couple of times and are superb. Stiff, light enough, smooth, and braking is excellent with the coated rims. I’ve got complete confidence in them.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    jonosas wrote:
    Also have my carbons as you can see but not using these for climbing days . 8) 8)

Why not?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    rafletcher wrote:
    DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic.

My wheels. Doesn't seem to make me climb like Froome though, must be problem with the wheels... :D
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I've had the Eurus on my Tarmac for about 18 months and they have been bullet proof! Nice and light but also pretty robust, I've hit some big pot holes and crashed with them which they have somehow survived unscathed. The aero spokes looks really cool too! I use my'n all year round for training rides, sportives and racing, I definitely recommend them!

Mitch
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    jonosas wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    I've had the Eurus on my Tarmac for about 18 months and they have been bullet proof! Nice and light but also pretty robust, I've hit some big pot holes and crashed with them which they have somehow survived unscathed. The aero spokes looks really cool too! I use my'n all year round for training rides, sportives and racing, I definitely recommend them!

Mitch
    Thanks Mitch that's what I wanted to hear as I have already ordered them, I don't like to use my Carbons when I am climbing in the Mountains over 6 hours 155km and 3000 meters of climbing to get through of up down. It's mainly because of due to the carbon rim break heat build up and eat your carbon break pads in no time(already on my 4th set in 10 months) . Especially when one of the descents is 5km long at 17% . . One Of the routes is in The Serra Da Candeerios in Portugal which is where train most of the time. :D:D

Portugal sounds awesome! Which carbon wheels are you running, I'd like to invest in a pair soon :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    You name your bikes? FFS.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    FWIW I have a bike I use for ‘hilly days’ and use Shamal Ultras. Love em, light...roll well and have fabulous braking.
  • thegreatdivide
    5km long at 17% - aye right.
  • thegreatdivide
    If you're ruining brake pads and worried about delamination you shouldn't have bought cheap Chinese wheels - and maybe practiced descending.

Christ, I sound like Imposter!!!!
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    As Imposter pointed out, if you go up hill you generally have to come down.

What about Mavic R-SYS SLR or Ksyrium Pro, both have a Exalith braking surface,
    it destroys brake pads though !
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • thegreatdivide
    jonosas wrote:
    5km long at 17% - aye right.

Just to put you in the picture https://www.strava.com/activities/2305398915. :wink::wink:

I can't see the 5km long 17% climb. Which one is it?
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • thegreatdivide
    So it's not a 5km long climb at 17%.
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I'm not sure what a climbing wheel is. I use my wheels on all terrain.

I suppose the closest I have is my 1020g 38mm deep carbon tubular set and my 1280g 45mm deep Tubeless set. I build myself because because I know I can put together a set that is cheaper and lighter than those factory efforts.

Fulcrum zero notes don't attract me. The freehub has minimal sealing and the shite then gets washed into the shell bearings meaning you get a bill sooner than you'd like.

The Eurus wheels are better wheels. The usb bearings in the fulcrums are a waste of money. The usb bearings lack the hardened stainless races you get in the cult bearings so grease is still need do there is no drag reduction and you get faster race wear. The steel bearings in the Eurus wheels tend to last longer cost less so are better.

The fulcrum hub has the alloy freehub with only outer bearing seals. Campagnolo do a FH buu015 freehub with double seals and this is more reliable than the fh boo15 freehub with outer seals only found on the fulcrum wheels. The fulcrum part number is different but it's the same part.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019