N-2+1?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Seriously thinking about chopping my rim-braked domane and defy 0 bikes for an advanced pro defy purely due to disc brakes becoming more of an attractive proposition. That’d leave me with a decent road bike and a cheap MTB. Worth it for discs and the better braking?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    what do ypu intend using it for as opposed to your existing bikes?

do you find your existing bikes brakes lacking?

do you just want a new bike?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • johngti
    Closest to the second option but more worried that when I need them to work I’ll find them lacking
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My rim brakes haven't let me down in thirty plus years of having them.
    I'm in no hurry to swap to discs. They have their own issues with setting up.
  • Matthewfalle
    johngti wrote:
    Closest to the second option but more worried that when I need them to work I’ll find them lacking

they will be fine - caliper brakes seem to have worked perfectly for decades

#don'tbelievethehype

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    it seems that you just fancy a new bike in which case why not - go for it.

but discs solely shouldn't be the buying point

#heartledpurchase

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    I went for a new high-end disc brake bike, but to be honest I'm not convinced. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I constantly have problems with rubbing and noise. Although I do all my own maintenance, I've given in and have scheduled some time for the bike shop to see if they can get it to work better.

My budget MTB has discs and has been no problem from the day I bought it, so I wonder if road discs just haven't been developed enough yet?
  • johngti
    Thanks all. I think there’s a little bit of fear pushing this too. I’ve found myself feeling nervous about riding lately, no real idea why, and have been playing with the idea of disc brakes as a safety thing that could help put those fears behind me. Guess if I was sure it’d make a difference I’d have just done it though!
  • Matthewfalle
    #gooddecison

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I ride with TRP disc brakes - but had a brief period on a 105 rim brakes to compare it, and the stopping on the 105 was a bit better in my case (this can depend on a lot of variables though - dirty pads/rotors, the fact their not full hydraulic).
    But the most compelling reason for me looking at disc brakes while new bike shopping at the moment is the tyre clearance for wider tyres.
  • johngti
    I ride with TRP disc brakes - but had a brief period on a 105 rim brakes to compare it, and the stopping on the 105 was a bit better in my case (this can depend on a lot of variables though - dirty pads/rotors, the fact their not full hydraulic).
    But the most compelling reason for me looking at disc brakes while new bike shopping at the moment is the tyre clearance for wider tyres.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking, on my walk into work, about losing the isospeed system on the domane and what that might do for comfort then suddenly realised that 28mm tyres would be doable. That’s not a bad trade off. Possibly better braking due to the discs, better grip because of wider tyres, bike geometry that I know works for me.

Sounds like I’m convincing myself...
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I’m also not convinced on the advantages of disc brakes !

I recently rode the Ronde Van Calderdale and never felt I need better brakes,
    I did now ever use a set of Mavic wheels with a Exalith braking surface with is
    very good, it does eat brake pads though
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    After riding my cross bike with hydro discs on the road a bit recently with gravel tyres I am now buying a road disc bike.

1) Why do y'all ride dual pivot, modern caliper brakes when old single pivots also "work"?
    2) MF; you say caliper brakes have worked for decades, but what do you mean by worked? Are you saying there has never been a crash because someone couldn't or didn't stop in time in decades of cycling?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah. No one needs disc brakes, but by the same token no one needs 11 speed cassettes, carbon fibre frames, deep section wheels etc etc.

I'd rather do my commuting in the wet with brakes that I know will stop me without seconds of delay (or having to drag the brakes the whole time).

Rim brakes work, but they're a long way from perfect.
  • johngti wrote:
    Thanks all. I think there’s a little bit of fear pushing this too. I’ve found myself feeling nervous about riding lately, no real idea why, and have been playing with the idea of disc brakes as a safety thing that could help put those fears behind me. Guess if I was sure it’d make a difference I’d have just done it though!

Riding on the road, the least of my fears are whether my (immensely powerful), rim caliper brakes will be able to stop me in-time if need be!

Disc Brakes won't help you if someone decides to rear-end you/ put you in the gutter/ you touch a wheel or someone throws a live cobra at you from a passing car (or any other wildly elaborate mishaps).

If I lived in the Lakes, the Alps or the Peak District, I'd be perhaps more interested in discs on the road bike, but I think for the vast majority of ppl, they're completely unnecessary. It's by no means flat where I live too, and even training on carbon rim brakes, I've never had a sense of oooh, I need disc brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    n-2+1 = n-1
    left the forum March 2023
  • johngti
    Riding on the road, the least of my fears are whether my (immensely powerful), rim caliper brakes will be able to stop me in-time if need be!

Disc Brakes won't help you if someone decides to rear-end you/ put you in the gutter/ you touch a wheel or someone throws a live cobra at you from a passing car (or any other wildly elaborate mishaps).

If I lived in the Lakes, the Alps or the Peak District, I'd be perhaps more interested in discs on the road bike, but I think for the vast majority of ppl, they're completely unnecessary. It's by no means flat where I live too, and even training on carbon rim brakes, I've never had a sense of oooh, I need disc brakes.

True, but psychologically...I need to spur myself on to riding more. I'm beginning to believe that the idea of having very good brakes would help me to feel more comfortable regardless of the reality of snakes etc. But I'm yet to convince myself fully. New bike+disc brakes may equal a bit more motivation but it obviously may not.
  • johngti
    n-2+1 = n-1

And Mrs Johngti's eyes lit up at the thought of one fewer bike around the place!
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    johngti wrote:

True, but psychologically...I need to spur myself on to riding more. I'm beginning to believe that the idea of having very good brakes would help me to feel more comfortable regardless of the reality of snakes etc. But I'm yet to convince myself fully. New bike+disc brakes may equal a bit more motivation but it obviously may not.

Maybe go for a test ride on a bike with hydro disc brakes?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Traffic, potholes, headwinds, cafés being shut are all far more of a problem than brakes.

Just buy an outrageously expensive bike and then you'll feel compelled to ride it. Or sell it to me.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    My main reason for going with a disc bike, as well as bigger tyre clearance, was presumed longevity of carbon rims. Not that I can say I've had a problem with rim wear on carbon wheels with my rim-braked bike, but I don't ride those all weather's, whereas the 50mm carbon rims on my disc bike have stayed on since they were first fitted last October. I'm just happier the braking happens on the easily and cheaply-replaced disc rotor, rather than scrubbing a (partly-sacrificial) rim...

Have just binned a rear Mavic Ksyrium due to dangerously concave rims. Just a thought....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • johngti
    Seems like it's all a bit academic now. Ebay seller seems unwilling to accept PayPal so would rather not make the sale. Thanks again all