~£3000 bike - What to get?

Sjako
Sjako Posts: 3
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I currently own a Ghost SL ARM X 6, its a 150mm front 140mm rear "all mountain" bike.
I live in Denmark where its relatively flat(certainly no mountains), and ive found it to be too much suspension for the trails i ride. It feels like a big heavy monster-truck and its really good at going down technical trails, but i want something more all-around and playful.

Im sorta picky so here is a wish list for a new bike.

120-140mm of travel
29" wheels
4-piston brakes (preferably SRAM or Magura)
12-speed 1X (Preferably SRAM)
less than 67 degree head angle
more than 73 degree seat angle
Carbon frame (alu could work with good components)
max 50mm stem, minimum 780mm wide bars
minimum 27mm inner rim width
Boost wheels (of course?)

I´ve been looking at Whyte S-120(120/120), Commencal Meta TR 29(140-150/130), BMC Speedfox(130/120), Intense Sniper Trail(120/120) among others.

Dont like Scott and Trek for reasons i can explain :lol:

The biking season has already started and wouldnt want to wait months for delivery, although i have wondered if it was smarter to wait and see if any exciting 2020 models arrive soon.

Any input is much appreciated! :)

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    YT Jeffsy hits the spot.
  • Sjako
    Sjako Posts: 3
    Thats a great idea! been looking at them but they were out of stock, but if i go up one step in specs i can see they´re in stock. Not sure about the looks of it for me, but it really does hit the sweet spot :)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Sjako wrote:
    Thats a great idea! been looking at them but they were out of stock, but if i go up one step in specs i can see they´re in stock. Not sure about the looks of it for me, but it really does hit the sweet spot :)

They are making them all the time, the production run rolls around in sequence, so it won't be too long before the one you want is back in stock. The last time i looked they gave a forecast of when your model and size will be in stock. as long as you don't mind waiting you will get what you want.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Bird AM9. You pretty much spec it yourself.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Whilst I’m a fan of Bird bikes (I have an Aeris 145LT) I wouldn’t describe the AM9 as playful and it’s not really what the op is after I don’t think.

I don’t have a better suggestion as I’m not up on 29ers but I’d think the mentioned Whyte s120 might be better for the suggested use.

I ride with someone who has an AM9 and he says it’s a beat on descents but on pedally flow trails it isn’t the best. He tends to ride either one of his hardtails or a Whyte t-129 unless it’s either steep and technical or fast and rocky - when the AM9 comes out.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'd second an Anthem 29er, or the Trance 29er if the OP wants more travel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009