Best Gloves

stevep1968
stevep1968 Posts: 10
edited May 2019 in Road beginners
Hi All

Started cycling a few weeks back and I am loving it.

I managed to get a bit more comfort from some padded shorts (£30’ish from Decathlon) and I also got some gloves from eBay. The gloves, which only cost £10 have worked a bit but I was wondering if spending more and getting a better pair of padded gloves would be@good investment?

My hands do get very sore and I’d be more than happy to spend £30 or so if I knew it was going to be worth it.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    sore hands could be due to leaning on the bars, gripping too hard, or simply needing time to get used to riding

if by 'sore' you mean you get tingling then pain and/or numbness, that could be due to pressure on nerves in the hand

if you are leaning and putting weight on your hands, don't - if you find you have to do it to keep position then it may be lack of core strength or that the bike isn't set up right for you

as far as padding goes, people vary, i find mitts with more padding less comfortable, especially on long rides, really is an individual thing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mitts or gloves ?
  • Mitts please
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Sore hands = too much weight on the bars = weak core strength. Planks, side planks, lat pull downs, low Row all help.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    not always a weak "core". Could just mean the saddle is too far forward or tilting down too much.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    The easiest way to tell if your saddle is too far forward is to lift your hands off when in the drops. If you can do it with a little strain on your core then you are fine. If however there is no way to lift your hands off without collaping on to the bars your saddle is too far forward.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Get a decent set of padded track mitts, probably best to buy them in your local bike shop where you can try them on for comfort. Here is a couple of reviews
    https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides ... -and-mitts

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ves-176951

To be honest though any will do that feel comfortable, some have a good soft piece of toweling round the forefinger/thumb area that makes it easy to wipe the face which is useful
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    make sure you have decent bar tape too. I got some good lizard skins one and don't even bother wearing gloves anymore
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    As noted above, this is very much a case of personal preference but I have found that the pair of specialized body geometry mitts i have at the moment to be the most comfortable pair i have used. Worth trying anyway.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    shiznit76 wrote:
    make sure you have decent bar tape too. I got some good lizard skins one and don't even bother wearing gloves anymore

Don't forget that a second reason to wear mitts is that they protect your palms from abrasion if you stack it and instinctively put a hand out to break the fall.

My comfiest mitts were a pair of basic Spesh BG ones with minimal padding.

Agree that bike fit is crucial to being comfortable on the bars
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    as above - lots depends on bar tape. my most comfortable pair of gloves are a bare bone pair of Castelli aero gloves - no individual fingers just thumb and one large hole for fingers, no padding.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I never spend that much on mitts - these are all you need really:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/reflective-pull- ... 1275900700