Liège-Bastogne-Liège *Spoilers*

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    How did he stay on!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    sh*t what a save!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    He should be riding with disc brakes
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Good fishtail that!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    Woah, epic save from Jakob there, very, very nearly stacked it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Christ man be careful
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    You lot should have heard the Danish commentary from Rolf Sørensen and Chris Anker there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    OMG, how did Fulsang save that?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Liege is quite nice actually.

Still that finish is bobbins.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    What a great race..............................not. The route change was a major fail.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Get in!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    What a great race..............................not. The route change was a major fail.

Nah, it just needs a couple of years. And maybe a bit of sunshine. We'll see attacks going earlier next time.
  • ShutupJens
    I liked the route. The one the other year in the same weather was a sh1t watch too remember
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gesink broke collarbone and pelvis. Ouch.

Good winner. Meh race. New finish is awful
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gesink broke collarbone and pelvis. Ouch.

Good winner. Meh race. New finish is awful

The perils of naming your Giro team months in advance.
    Roglič loses his experienced mountain support.
  • blazing_saddles

Nah, it just needs a couple of years. And maybe a bit of sunshine. We'll see attacks going earlier next time.

The venerable sages over on Cyclingnews seem to think it was much better, too.
    They argue that Fuglsang would have waited until St Nick at the very earliest, so this was better because he attacked earlier. Doesn't matter that near crash aside, he never looked like getting caught.
    Bob Jungels clearly is beyond recall:

Quick-Step’s Bob Jungels pulled off a 20km solo breakaway to win the 2018 Liège-Bastogne-Liège.
    The Luxembourger attacked on the Roche-aux-Faucons climb and managed to hold off a chasing pack of big names to clinch the 27th win of the season for the Belgian squad.

Snap!
    :lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited April 2019
    Double post ignore
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I liked the new finish better. Bit furniture laden thou. The race suffered from a lack of tactical innovation by the leading teams still riding like the previous finish. JF saving it on the white line was wince making. Close or what.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I liked the new finish better. Bit furniture laden thou. The race suffered from a lack of tactical innovation by the leading teams still riding like the previous finish. JF saving it on the white line was wince making. Close or what.

Once fuglsang attacked it became clear that everyone else's leaders were knackered, probably because of the cold and rain. I reckon that's why the race was so conservative. No ones leaders had the legs to pull off anything tactical
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    Needs some bigger hitting climbers to try it.
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 wrote:

Once fuglsang attacked it became clear that everyone else's leaders were knackered, probably because of the cold and rain. I reckon that's why the race was so conservative. No ones leaders had the legs to pull off anything tactical

You could be right. Roubaix had that attritional feel too it as well. I think the sudden change in the weather mY well have effected a lot of riders
  • mididoctors
    Than Adam Yates and bardet?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    It’s all academic: the intrigue next year will be if MVdP can win his 4th Monument of the Spring against a Bernal who will have just won his first Fleche W before going for his 2nd Giro win.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    The commissaires will be assessing if being 20ft tall with lazers for eyes and breathing fire for those two fall under the UCI rules.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Not the best race but happy for Fuglsang.

Did he actually save it, or did the bike snap back on its own ? Had something similar myself and it certainly wasn't my skill that kept me upright
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    It’s all academic: the intrigue next year will be if MVdP can win his 4th Monument of the Spring against a Bernal who will have just won his first Fleche W before going for his 2nd Giro win.
    Haha yes this could be it.

I thought today’s race was good, attritional and tough. Not one for those with attention deficit disorders or the need for constant easy stimulation.

A worthy winner too.
  • rick_chasey

Yeah.

Dumolin Thomas Froome.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Yeah.

Dumolin Thomas Froome.

Is that a different Dumolin from the one that came in 50th, nearly seven minutes behind, just after Tao?
  • rick_chasey

Yeah.

Dumolin Thomas Froome.

Is that a different Dumolin from the one that came in 50th, nearly seven minutes behind, just after Tao?

Consider myself put back in my kennel
  • ShutupJens
    Froome rode it the other year in similar conditions but is hardly ever likely to light up a one dayer is he. Think the question is how exciting do we think it's actually going to get? Dan Martin's win was pretty good but it's never going to be able to compare to a good Roubaix