Wheel comparison

TxAg15
TxAg15 Posts: 4
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Not so much a "buying" issue as a question of which wheelset I already I have is better.
I had the Shimano WH-RS500 wheelset on my old bike and then recently bought a Fuji SL with Oval Concepts 327 wheels on it. I would generally think my Shimano wheels would be better than a stock wheelset, and they are a tad lighter, but the Ovals have a deeper rim and seem to be decent wheels in their own right. Any thoughts on how I should evaluate which one to go with as my primary set?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Am I right in thinking you already have both sets of wheels? If so, the answer should be pretty straightforward...
  • TxAg15
    Yeah I do have both already. ...it's the Shimanos right? I thought from the outset they'd be better but then doubted myself. I'm a newbie to having anything other than stock wheels, so I wanted to get a second opinion.
  • imposter2.0
    TxAg15 wrote:
    Yeah I do have both already. ...it's the Shimanos right?

Well, no - not quite. The answer is 'ride both and compare'..
  • Imposter wrote:
    TxAg15 wrote:

I think the answer is give the bloke a bit of slack.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    TxAg15 wrote:

You don't think that comparing two sets of wheels he already has is the way forward?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TxAg15 wrote:

You don't think that comparing two sets of wheels he already has is the way forward?

What I don't think is the way forward is the "superior attitude" you adopt each time somebody asks a question which is obviously meat and drink to you but may not be to them.
  • imposter2.0
    What I don't think is the way forward is the "superior attitude" you adopt each time somebody asks a question which is obviously meat and drink to you but may not be to them.

Not seeing that. I'm only seeing some kind of inferiority complex of yours, which makes you think like that. If you have a problem then send me a PM - and I'll ignore it.

Meanwhile, the best way to establish which set of wheels is preferable would be to ride them both and compare under 'real world' conditions. If you have a more practical solution (or indeed any topical comment which isn't a personal dig), then I'm keen to hear it.
  • Imposter wrote:

Not seeing that. I'm only seeing some kind of inferiority complex of yours, which makes you think like that. If you have a problem then send me a PM - and I'll ignore it.

Meanwhile, the best way to establish which set of wheels is preferable would be to ride them both and compare under 'real world' conditions. If you have a more practical solution (or indeed any topical comment which isn't a personal dig), then I'm keen to hear it.

Trust me I don't have an inferiority complex, you may be confusing that with someone showing some empathy to a poster who may or may not have "your vast cycling knowledge"
  • imposter2.0
    Trust me I don't have an inferiority complex, you may be confusing that with someone showing some empathy to a poster who may or may not have "your vast cycling knowledge"

So simply suggesting that someone 'compares two sets of wheels' is a demonstration of 'vast cycling knowledge' is it? You're making yourself look silly now.

Such is your empathy for the OP that you've completely forgotten to reply to his question, while you've been too busy attacking me. Quit while you're behind...
  • Imposter wrote:

So simply suggesting that someone 'compares two sets of wheels' is a demonstration of 'vast cycling knowledge' is it? You're making yourself look silly now.

Such is your empathy for the OP that you've completely forgotten to reply to his question, while you've been too busy attacking me. Quit while you're behind...

I haven't replied to the OP as I have no knowledge of the wheels in question therefore I could not give an opinion.
  • TxAg15
    Hey, no hard feelings here either way. "Go try them and compare" is reasonable advice and something I could have easily done before posting. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into these particular wheelsets apart from that, as I tend to overthink these things. Thanks.
  • imposter2.0
    TxAg15 wrote:
    Hey, no hard feelings here either way. "Go try them and compare" is reasonable advice and something I could have easily done before posting. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into these particular wheelsets apart from that, as I tend to overthink these things. Thanks.

The wheels themselves might not reveal much in any case. Tyres and tyre pressure could well have a far more significant impact on your selection, unless they are both fitted with identical rubber at identical pressures/widths. One set may be lighter than the other, but such a difference may or may not be noticeable out on the road. It might just come down to which ones you prefer the look of..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    OP having ridden both what do you think with the same tyres and pressures. First define what better means to you. Ride both till they are worn out and you'll know. That is really the only way to know. There is no insight here. Your over thinking things.

The Shimano wheels have readily available spares. That's make them better in my book.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Someone has to give some advice here.

I really oval wheels will be a good idea. Try the rounder ones.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Shimano wheelset is at the cheaper end of their range. They are workmanlike but not the lightest nor the most durable.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    TxAg15 wrote:

r500/501 are decent reliable training wheels that are a bit bulky. think of them as commuter wheels. never tried the ovals. you could upgrade both for not much cash....

give them both a spin on the same bike round the same test route I guess. probably won't be too much in it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Re the above - "The Shimano wheelset is at the cheaper end of their range".

That's true for WH-R500 / 501. I have the R501s on my winter bike because they are cheap and cheerful.

However the OP says he has WH-RS500 wheels. These appear to be an Ultegra level, £300+ wheelset, so I'd say they are likely to be the better of the two in terms of kerb appeal / general pecking order. Whether or not he'd be able to tell a difference by riding them with the same tyres / pressures on the same bike who knows?

I've ridden neither of them myself