Giant Trance 3 2016 how wide can the tires be ?

Smejdy
Smejdy Posts: 19
edited April 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i have the Giant Trance 3 2016 with the stock fork and rims. My question is how wide can i go with my tires, so they fit my frame, fork and they work with my rims. Currently i have the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 but i want to put something more aggressive (with more grip). I'm thinking about the e*thirteen TRS Plus/Race combo. On the internet it says they are 2.35 but some of the reviews said that, once they're pumped up they're much bigger, somewhere around 2.4-2.5. Will they fit my fork, frame a rims ? Thanks :)

Frame - Giant Trance 3 2016
Fork - RockShox Sektor Gold RL Solo Air w/ 15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer, 140mm travel (stock fork)
Rims - Giant S XC-2, Double wall (stock rims)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-27dot5-3-2016

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Schwalbe tyres are some of the biggest tyres for their given size, my 2.35 Magic Mary is bigger than any tyre I've come across in 2.4 and is a millimetre or two of most 2.5's.

Most of that is confirmed on this site http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de/reifen.html.

A Magic Mary would give you all the grip you need without the penalty of rolling resistance you get with those e*thirteen's.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Smejdy
    yes, i know, but money is another thing :D i got a really great deal for the e*13. Combo, plus+race for 55€. So do you think it will fit ?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    They will fit, but remember those tyres don't like wet and mud.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Smejdy
    i read a lot of reviews and a lot of them say they have very good grip, but bad rolling resistance. I'm not a racer so i don't really worry about that. They will still be a huge upgrade over my hans dampf witch cheapo compound so i thinks it's a pretty good choice. The magic mary may be a overall better tire but i currently don't have the budget as i'm still a student :D Maybe in the future. So will the even work with my rims ? Thank you so much you helped me a lot <3