10 speed hubs and 11 speed groupsets

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,554
edited April 2019 in Workshop
I would like to upgrade my whole groupset (currently 9 speed) to Shimano 105 R7000. I thought this was going to be relatively easy, but I have now realised that the cassette won't fit on my 5600 hub.

As my rear wheel, unlike my groupset, is in an ok condition, I'm not that keen to junk it. Equally, it's not so new that it would be worth paying someone to rebuild it or redish it.

Therefore, I was wondering if there are any reasonably priced cassettes that I can buy that will fit my hub and R7000? Are there any other solutions?

Edit - actually can I just not fit the smallest cog from R7000, and run a 10 speed cassette with the 11 speed shifters?

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I would like to upgrade my whole groupset (currently 9 speed) to Shimano 105 R7000. I thought this was going to be relatively easy, but I have now realised that the cassette won't fit on my 5600 hub.

As my rear wheel, unlike my groupset, is in an ok condition, I'm not that keen to junk it. Equally, it's not so new that it would be worth paying someone to rebuild it or redish it.

Therefore, I was wondering if there are any reasonably priced cassettes that I can buy that will fit my hub and R7000? Are there any other solutions?

Edit - actually can I just not fit the smallest cog from R7000, and run a 10 speed cassette with the 11 speed shifters?

Make sure you adjust the limit screws if you do that . Should work fine but if you swap wheels out you’ll need to re index and adjust the limit screws again . 2 minute job.

Also you haven’t said what wheels you’ve got, some are compatible E.g. the Mavic ones. And some you can buy a new freehub body .
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    TheBigBean wrote:

Similar question already asked recently. Have a read through this thread

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13104431&start=20

looks like you may have a couple of options if your rear derailleur can cope. Firstly an Ultegra 11-34 cassette is claimed to fit onto 10-speed freehubs. Also @Sparquin has tried an 11-40 11-speed MTB cassette and found that to work OK - again there would be the caveat about your RD having the capacity.
  • I was under the impression that the HG700 and HG800 11-34 cassettes were able to fit on 10-speed freehubs.

Presuming you are not looking for the Shimano 7000 disc group, https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod185875 looks to be a good price.

The HG700 11-34 cassettes do seem to quickly go out of stock at CRC/Wiggle/Merlin, but https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-hg7 ... e-EV336878 is showing stock at mo for ~£35.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • TheBigBean

Also you haven’t said what wheels you’ve got, some are compatible E.g. the Mavic ones. And some you can buy a new freehub body .

Rear wheel has a mavic open pro rim, but I would have thought the only relevant bit was the hub which is a 5600 105.
  • TheBigBean
    Thanks all. Very helpful replies.

I think page 8 of this confirms that the HG700 and HG800 would both fit. It actually says that if using with an 11 speed hub it would require a 1.85mm spacer which I think is confirming that it fits perfectly onto a 10 speed hub. It also confirms to me a naive question as to whether it would work with 11 speed road shifters.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RACS001-02-ENG.pdf

Thanks. This has been £400 for ages and I hadn't seen the price drop at that site, so the saving might help to buy a new cassette!

I think the only outstanding question with this otherwise excellent plan is whether the R7000 Rear Derailleur Medium Cage will accept the HG700 and HG800.

I think this confirms that it does provided that RD-R7000-GS is the medium version.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-GS.html

All things considered. I'm thinking this sounds like a plan, and a much better one than I was thinking about earlier. So thanks again everyone.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was about to wade in but it seems you've found the answer I was going to suggest. Those 34t HG cassettes give a way of getting an 11 speed groupset onto a formerly 10 speed only hub.

(I was pondering the very same thing myself but in the end decided to stick with my functional but tatty 9 and 10 speed stuff)

And that CRC groupset is a bargain for R7000 even if you do have to swap the cassette; you should be able to sell on the unused 11-32 to defray the cost of the HG 11-34
  • TheBigBean
    keef66 wrote:
    (I was pondering the very same thing myself but in the end decided to stick with my functional but tatty 9 and 10 speed stuff)

Full disclosure. My tatty 9 speed is actually Octalink and it is really hard to get replacement bits for it, so given that something is wrong with my BB/crank arm (no time to investigate), I'm a bit stuck. Conveniently, my shifters are also dying, my rear derailleur is fairly dead and my cassette and chain are worn out, so it is a bit of no brainer!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As is the CRC deal! When I first returned to road cycling a 105 groupset was £300. Then all of a sudden it jumped to £400 and it's stayed that way for years. I thought 5800 would be sold off cheap when R700 came along but that never really happened either.