Gore Bike Wear One 1985 GTX Shakedry

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Looking for a good waterproof jacket that can be worn during summer (I live in Scotland!) as well as winter, I have heard good things about the Gore Bike Wear One 1985 shakedry jacket, can anyone confirm it is light enough for Summer wear?

Thanks

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I've used the 'stretch' version (only on loan sadly) and that was very light and thin. The non-stretch versions (e.g. 1985) are even lighter and thinner: pretty much paper thin and very packable. Check out the reviews (e.g. on Wiggle). These jackets are absolutely amazingly waterproof, windproof and breathable, but they are not cheap and they are a bit fragile as they are only a single layer... if I could commute in it I would buy one tomorrow, but you can't wear a rucksack over a Shakedry.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • shiznit76
    yeah read reviews, sounds good, was just worried about wearing it in Scottish summer type weather, can be wet and warm! Have them on wiggle now for £125, supposedly half price, that's why I'm tempted. So you reckon it would be fine in warmer wet weather ?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I have the high viz version, which is very packable, easy enough to roll up, and as mentioned above, super thin.

Pricey, but second to none in terms of performance imho - can't imagine it would cause an issue over a thin jersey in the summer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    I'm using BTWIN 900 rain jacket for all seasons. It's cheap and light, providing good waterproof and windproof and still breathable
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I have this very jacket. Thoroughly glad I bought it. Gives proper full hardshell protection but remains packable. It's not as packable as a Sportful Hotpack or other cape, but small enough to fit in a jersey pocket with nothing hanging out.

It doesn't feel particularly fragile, certainly will hold up to daily use without disintegrating. I wouldn't wear a rucksack regularly with it, but I doubt it would kill it if I had to do it once or twice.

Really, there is nothing like it (apart from other Shakedrys) and £125 is a good price given how much better it is than the alternatives. Though I did actually buy myself a Hotpack recently because if I think it really won't rain but might get chilly, rather have that as a windproof and half a jersey pocket free (and it was very cheap...)
  • shiznit76
    alanyu wrote:
    I'm using BTWIN 900 rain jacket for all seasons. It's cheap and light, providing good waterproof and windproof and still breathable

Is this jacket not just showerproof?
  • Yes it is very light and suitable for summer. It is also IME a lot more breathable than other rain jackets so you don't get the boil in the bag effect!
  • shiznit76
    looking more for a proper rain jacket rather than just showerproof.
    Anyone any experience of this one, endure FS260:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/end ... prod165995
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    edited April 2019
    shiznit76 wrote:
    alanyu wrote:

Is this jacket not just showerproof?

I've used it in a light/mid-rainy day and it kept me almost dry. The problem is it doesn't have a hat. I usually use raincoat for heavy rain (somehow unbreathable), but definetly BTWIN 900 is a bit higher than showerproof.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    shiznit76 wrote:

I think you'd kick yourself buying that for £70 when you could get a Shakedry for £50 more. Not a bad jacket by any means, it's just the new breed of Gore fabrics are a different league.
  • shiznit76
    super_davo wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

I think you'd kick yourself buying that for £70 when you could get a Shakedry for £50 more. Not a bad jacket by any means, it's just the new breed of Gore fabrics are a different league.

I was actually thinking that myself
  • daniel_b
    Assuming CRC still have the £10 discount for a new account, you could lop that down to £115 with a new e-mail account.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shiznit76
    Daniel B wrote:
    Assuming CRC still have the £10 discount for a new account, you could lop that down to £115 with a new e-mail account.

Cheers they do, that's the wife now signed up :D
    Only down side is now she knows how much I'm spending on a jacket !
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I picked up one for £125 back in November. Haven't actually worn it yet, but it was bought in case I am hit by some bad weather on a Nice to Geneva trip booked for July.
    Would rather it was a slimmer fit but seems good quality and reviews are all excellent.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Hmmm, the non-stretch C7 is currently £179 compared to £224 for the stretch version.
  • daniel_b
    Alex222 wrote:
    I picked up one for £125 back in November. Haven't actually worn it yet, but it was bought in case I am hit by some bad weather on a Nice to Geneva trip booked for July.
    Would rather it was a slimmer fit but seems good quality and reviews are all excellent.

I think if you want a closer fit, you need to go 7mesh oro, they go down to xs. If I ever see one for sub £150, I may be tempted.

As an aside, I tried on the insulated version of the shakedry, and in my opinion sizes up slightly smaller than the normal version.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Alex222 wrote:

I'm waiting to buy a C7-shaped Shakedry jacket for a similar reason: in case of prolonged foul weather on overseas multi-day cycling trips where I have to keep pedalling regardless of weather (normally, I just don't ride in c@rp weather).

But... I want one in a bright colour all over, which allegedly Gore are working on, with the possibility of us seeing something later this year. Maybe. Very likely too late for this year's trip though... :(

I'd ideally be keeping the jacket for years and years, so I'm reluctant to compromise on the 'bright colour all over' aspect and buy one from the current range. "Hold fast!", I tell myself.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    The Castelli Idro is also worth a look (Especially if you can pick up one of the first models on the cheap).

3 of my bunch have Idro's and one has the Shakedry. Similar performance, but the Idro is a better fit and a better looking jaisket! (IMHO)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy the shakedry. It's a steal at that price. I wore mine for four hours in constant rain and nothing came through.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I've got the 1985, had it since they came out. It packs very small and I no longer carry a Pertex windproof in winter as a result. Its very waterproof apart from the usual wicking up the sleeves and the big ole yer ed sticks through. I wouldn't use it with a rucksack or if I'm expecting to fall off (e.g. mountain biking).

The Idros is very similar and there's really not much to choose between them (I ride with 4 people who have the Castelli flavoured version), they're both ace waterproofs. I'd buy whichever is cheapest and/or fits you best but I'd definitely buy one of em and will again when my current one has had enough.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I just pressed the button on one myself (1985 One Shakedry). £115 from CRC with new customer code. Intrigued, but wary of the fit. Hopefully here midweek to try...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • shiznit76
    Bought myself, hope it fits!
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I just pressed the button on one myself (1985 One Shakedry). £115 from CRC with new customer code. Intrigued, but wary of the fit. Hopefully here midweek to try...

What size did you go for matey?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Intrigued, but wary of the fit. Hopefully here midweek to try...

They come up large, it is not designed for a close race fit. The original version is cut much smaller.
  • luv2ride
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Large, as was one of the few sizes left, hence my thinking it's likely to go straight back given the various comments on the generous sizing of this version. That said, I am carrying some additional timber this year which might mean the generous sizing round the middle actually fits me :roll:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Large, as was one of the few sizes left, hence my thinking it's likely to go straight back given the various comments on the generous sizing of this version. That said, I am carrying some additional timber this year which might mean the generous sizing round the middle actually fits me :roll:

I suspect you are right, I find the small quite spacious!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shiznit76
    Got mine yesterday, can confirm they are big made, way bigger than I'd expect from a jacket that is supposed to be close fitting
  • luv2ride
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Got mine yesterday, can confirm they are big made, way bigger than I'd expect from a jacket that is supposed to be close fitting

Yeah, mine came today. It's HUGE, even with my current heft, so disappointingly has to go back to CRC for refund... :(

Looked nice otherwise...
  • shiznit76
    They won't be happy, mines going back too! :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Better slightly bigger than too small. Mine is sized to go over my bulkier winter kit as well as the summer stuff.