Richie Porte

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited April 2019 in Pro race
Where is Richie Porte? He seems to be very low profile for someone who should be leading a team at Grand Tours. Is he injured? Most of the other GT contenders have been racing over the last few weeks but Porte seems to have been conspicuous by his absence.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He was ill in March which caused him to miss races (such as Paris-Nice). Catalunya (38th) was his first race in Europe this season. He's doing California next.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    It's good to keep it quiet, so the inevitable disappointment is smaller. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • crescent
    I didn't even realise he raced Catalunya. I had a feeling he might have an injury or illness issue. Would be good to see him in the mix at the end of a Grand Tour for a change but still have doubts that he is a 3 week racer.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    He's more like a 9 stage racer
    Half man, Half bike
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    maybe it's a case of nice guys dont win. Seems a top bloke, he's gone by me a few times in Monaco and always says hello to everyone he passes
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Sherer, are you that bloke from ineos?
    Half man, Half bike
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    damn ive been found out.

I stayed in Menton the cheaper town next to Monaco. Great place for a weeks training though
  • crescent
    He does seem like a good guy and is obviously a very talented rider, just doesn't seem to have the necessary combination of luck and robustness to go with it to make a legitimate tilt at a three week tour.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Crescent wrote:
    He does seem like a good guy and is obviously a very talented rider, just doesn't seem to have the necessary combination of luck and robustness to go with it to make a legitimate tilt at a three week tour.

I tend to agree but then many said the same of G!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He also lacks bike handling and descending ability. But I'm sure he has worked on it and will get better and better. Don't think it is out of the question, that he can win a GT like Fabio Aru won the Vuelta. Just don't think it will be the Tour.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023