Any Kuota owners out there?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I've just had my head turned to a Kuota Kryon, but have found very limited info online. If anyone has any useful experience with the brand, not necessarily the Kryon, I'd be very interested to hear.

I had been considering the Cervelo R3 or Specialized Tarmac Disc Comp as alternatives.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Not an owner but I've hired them several times in Mallorca. Nice bikes but can't really say there was much to differentiate it from other carbon bikes around the price point (£1500 - £2000) other than a bit of rarity value perhaps. If the price and spec were right I would definitely have one. Probably not much help, I know.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • The UK importer is just up the road from me. Quite a few round here ride them - including my main riding partner. From what little info I have they seem to be decent reliable bikes. Not the most advanced or technically exciting but good reliable bikes that do what they promise.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Thanks both that's very helpful. It seems to be your views are the general consensus: good bikes for the money. I'll do some more digging.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I've just had my head turned to a Kuota Kryon, but have found very limited info online. If anyone has any useful experience with the brand, not necessarily the Kryon, I'd be very interested to hear.

I had been considering the Cervelo R3 or Specialized Tarmac Disc Comp as alternatives.

I've had a Kuota for around 3-4 years now, a Kharma Evo. Very nice bike, very strong and stiff around the BB area and still looks like new. I've used it a lot on a turbo trainer as well and hasn't disintegrated like a lot of the doom and gloom merchants warn! you get a good opportunity to spec it how you want as well. It's not my best bike anymore but I can still see myself using it on occasions. Will probably use it for the London 100.

Mine has Rival 22, Hunt Aero Wide wheels, SMP Dynamic saddle, Deda bars/stem/seatpost so modest spec and it comes in at 8.5kgs. Any more questions just shout.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Had a Kuota Kebel for almost a decade now!
    Still think it looks great, no idea how it compares to other carbon machines as had no inclination to swap it.
    Been used for Tri's, commutes and some long distance stuff - can't really fault it.

Don't see many around - but don't see that as a good or bad thing.

Mike
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Im on my 2nd kuota - last 1 had for almost 10 years - can't fault it.

New one even better (should be at almost 3 times the price)
  • oldspoke
    oldspoke Posts: 11
    Just an update - my Kuota developed an annoying creak. This went back to shop (came back worse) - then to DHW agencies (fixed it for a few weeks) ..

In between there were a few angry exchanges and emails between myself and Kuota - in desperation local BS re bonded the BB - I still get the occasional creak but not as bad as it was .....

Very disappointed in the service I received from Kuota - I won't be buying another.
  • oldspoke said:

Very disappointed in the service I received from Kuota - I won't be buying another.

Is that service from Kuota, or DHW agencies who are the UK agents? If DHW then that wouldn't surprise me one bit. I know the guy and wouldn't trust him with anything. From what I know of him customer service is way down the line - a long way behind income streams. Having said that I bought a Kuota Kobalt frame last December from LBS who have been more than excellent with me.
    DHW is just up the road from here so I see lots of their frames/bikes in the lanes. Most folk like them and the only cautionary notes seem to be about DHW himself. As a generalisation it seems that a good relationship with LBS will get more results than any relationship with DHW.
  • wruds
    wruds Posts: 74

I have had a Kuota Kharma Race for over 10 years now - (just realised that a few days ago, where has that time gone). I have upgraded the wheels to Carbon Vcycle 40mm wheels - everything else is stock with SRAM Rival 11spd groupset. I am very pleased with it. It is one of my three bikes so its gets used alongside my mtb and single speed.

It has been faultless in its time, only recently developing creak around the BB area. I need to be do some investigation into this as it is becoming more annoying each ride.

I am now considering whether to upgrade this year with Sram tap or consider a full bike replacement. Looking at another Kuota or Bianchi 🤔