Upgrading brake pads for carbon rims

scotthunter
scotthunter Posts: 140
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Anyone here had Ultegra brake pads that come with the Ultegra R8000 groupset and upgraded the blocks with anything superior?

I was wondering if the Swissstop Flash Pro Black Prince will provide better stopping power? I am using Giant SLR carbon rims. Current Ultegra ones that came with my TCR are ok in the dry but pretty terrible in the wet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Lifeline Blues
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    are the wheels the ones that came with the bike or did it come with ali rims?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Hi,

Anyone here had Ultegra brake pads that come with the Ultegra R8000 groupset and upgraded the blocks with anything superior?

I was wondering if the Swissstop Flash Pro Black Prince will provide better stopping power? I am using Giant SLR carbon rims. Current Ultegra ones that came with my TCR are ok in the dry but pretty terrible in the wet.

Thanks.

I upgraded from stock r8000 to black prince and find them excellent on carbon rims. Stopping is very good in the wet so would recommend. I had a bit of squeel at first but adjusted the pads properly and have been perfect since.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Lifeline Blues

^ This, I have a bike with Black Prince and 1 with Lifeline Blues on Zipp 303’s and the Blues feel better.
  • Matthewfalle
    anything will feel better than if he is using ali pads on carbon rims ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Lifeline Blues

^ This, I have a bike with Black Prince and 1 with Lifeline Blues on Zipp 303’s and the Blues feel better.

Third this.
  • scotthunter

I have carbon rims. I am not sure if the pads that came with the bike are specific for carbon rims, all I know is that they are the grey standard ones that come with the Ultegra R8000 brake calipers.
  • shirley_basso
    Then they are almost certainly not for carbon rims, unless the wheels came with the bike and you bought it brand new.

Buy a set of the £4.99 ones from Wiggle Lifeline (make sure they are carbon). I find they take one ride to rough up a bit to really get the optimal performance out of them but otherwise they are awesome, and cheap.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

I have carbon rims. I am not sure if the pads that came with the bike are specific for carbon rims, all I know is that they are the grey standard ones that come with the Ultegra R8000 brake calipers.

the default fitout is with shimano's generic alloy pads. you would need to replace them with carbon specific pads. the lifeline ones everyone is going on about are very good. and not expensive.
  • Matthewfalle

They aren't then and that would explain your conundrum and braking issues..

the lifeline blue ones above for you then.

#problemsolved

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • scotthunter
    Zeee wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks.

I upgraded from stock r8000 to black prince and find them excellent on carbon rims. Stopping is very good in the wet so would recommend. I had a bit of squeel at first but adjusted the pads properly and have been perfect since.

Just looking on Wiggle. Do you know what the difference is between Flash Pro and Flash Evo?
  • shirley_basso
    Buy the lifeline ones.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Zeee wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks.

Just looking on Wiggle. Do you know what the difference is between Flash Pro and Flash Evo?

The evo is lower profile for wider rims. Pro just standard size.
  • Matthewfalle
    Don't go for Black {Prince - they are rubbish. I have them on my crit bike. They are rubbish.

If you do want to go for Swisstop then go yellow - they are on N1 - much better: stopping power more instant and longer, look cooler. "Modulation" is exactly the same.

Go for Lifeline

#blueisthenewblack

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Campag red for carbon
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • scotthunter
    Then they are almost certainly not for carbon rims, unless the wheels came with the bike and you bought it brand new.

Buy a set of the £4.99 ones from Wiggle Lifeline (make sure they are carbon). I find they take one ride to rough up a bit to really get the optimal performance out of them but otherwise they are awesome, and cheap.

The wheels did come with the bike, and I brought it brand new. It's a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1. Giant make their own carbon wheels for their Pro series bikes.
  • scotthunter
    Don't go for Black {Prince - they are rubbish. I have them on my crit bike. They are rubbish.

If you do want to go for Swisstop then go yellow - they are on N1 - much better: stopping power more instant and longer, look cooler. "Modulation" is exactly the same.

Go for Lifeline

#blueisthenewblack

You say Black Prince are rubbish, but they have 4.5 / 5 stars from 97 reviews on Wiggle so they can't be all that bad. The only disadvantage of these vs yellow, from what I can gather, is that they wear out faster, but I don't care about that.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Lifeline Blues

Third this.

They do seem to differ with different wheels though. I was using them with a set of Wheelsmith Aero Dimpled carbon wheels and they were fantastic then used them with a set of Vision Metron 40's and they were bloody awful!
  • Matthewfalle

Go for Lifeline

#blueisthenewblack

You say Black Prince are rubbish, but they have 4.5 / 5 stars from 97 reviews on Wiggle so they can't be all that bad. The only disadvantage of these vs yellow, from what I can gather, is that they wear out faster, but I don't care about that.

i have both. yellow are better.

look on here in threads passim - people always say the yellow are better

i'd still buy the blue lifeline ones over either though

#blue

at the end of the day though, its your money and choice so buy what you want.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

Go for Lifeline

#blueisthenewblack

you believe wiggle reviews?
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73

Go for Lifeline

#blueisthenewblack

i have both. yellow are better.

look on here in threads passim - people always say the yellow are better

i'd still buy the blue lifeline ones over either though

#blue

at the end of the day though, its your money and choice so buy what you want.

I hate the yellow residue on the rim and the black offers a lower temperature at the cost of its lifetime. Yellows performance better in dry while blacks performance better in wet.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Campag red
  • scotthunter

Just checked and these are the pads I have currently:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-carbon-rim-brake-pads
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    So they are carbon specific brake pads then - not the Shimano ones that would come standard with Ultegra.

In that case it might just be a case of trial and error. I use the aforementioned Lifeline blue from CRC/Wiggle, and have found them to work really well on my Prime carbon rims - having said that I don't venture out in the rain on the carbon wheels, so I can't give any feedback for wet-weather performance.
  • Matthewfalle
    So they are carbon specific brake pads then - not the Shimano ones that would come standard with Ultegra.

In that case it might just be a case of trial and error. I use the aforementioned Lifeline blue from CRC/Wiggle, and have found them to work really well on my Prime carbon rims - having said that I don't venture out in the rain on the carbon wheels, so I can't give any feedback for wet-weather performance.

why don't you venture out?

#rain

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.