Crashed!

nocash168
nocash168 Posts: 10
edited April 2019 in MTB beginners
Had my bike for a few weeks now and I have just been plodding around on canal paths and around parks with my son.

Finally got a helmet this week so went to Southampton Bike Park this morning. I've not jumped a bike for over 15years so I was taking it easy on the line of 5 tabletops. Was going ok until I hit the last jump at an angle and ended up going of the side off the jump at the other end.

Went OTB, smashed my shoulder, rolled with the bike and winded myself.

Young lads came to see if I was ok and all I could do was make a stupid grunting sound until I caught my breath. Helmet saved my face and the pedal from hitting me in the back of the head.

All fine apart from my shoulder is really stiff. Gutted as I was enjoying myself, hopefully can get back at it soon. Like wake up tomorrow and feel 100% :D

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There are only two kinds of bikers: those that have crashed and those that are going to crash. :)

Take brufen to help with the inflammation and keep your fingers crossed.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nocash168
    JBA wrote:
    There are only two kinds of bikers: those that have crashed and those that are going to crash. :)

Take brufen to help with the inflammation and keep your fingers crossed.

Well that's the first crash out of the way, no doubt it won't be the last. Seriously happy I got a full face helmet or my face would be a mess as well.

Looks like I'll just have to enjoy the sun with a few beers this weekend :cry:
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Keep an eye out on that shoulder. If movement is still restricted after a week, get some physio. The body has a way of adapting to movement restrictions and avoiding pain. After a while you get comfortable with it and then it sort of "sets" and then it is very difficult to get back to a normal range of movement. Sadly, I know this from personal experience. :(
  • nocash168
    Keep an eye out on that shoulder. If movement is still restricted after a week, get some physio. The body has a way of adapting to movement restrictions and avoiding pain. After a while you get comfortable with it and then it sort of "sets" and then it is very difficult to get back to a normal range of movement. Sadly, I know this from personal experience. :(

The pain is more in my trap/collar bone. Just took my jumper off with the assistance of my wife and it seems I must of taken the full brunt of the crash to the rear of my shoulder, red blood blistery type marks.

Nice lump on my forearm as well. I'll keep my arm mobile as I also know to well of restricting movement of an injury.

Gutted I can't ride more than anything.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Glad you're having so much fun!

Some survival suggestions

Walk before you can run - we're older, less capable than we remember, break easier and heal slower.
    Learn to crash/fall off/eject bike.
    Heal soon and go do it again :D

Ref your shoulder - see how it is tomorrow. If it's not right, go get it looked at.

FWI - some schools of thought suggest you do not take Ibruprofen in the first 48 hours as it masks symptoms and reduces `natural healing` - whatever that is.

"Non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs are often used for analgesia in soft tissue injury. The evidence to support this is weak, plus NSAIDs may even delay healing."

Hope you get out again soon and well done for wearing a sensible helmet.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • nocash168
    Well turns out I have a clavicle fracture so no riding for a while :(
    BillyCool wrote:
    Glad you're having so much fun!

Some survival suggestions

Walk before you can run - we're older, less capable than we remember, break easier and heal slower.
    Learn to crash/fall off/eject bike.
    Heal soon and go do it again :D

Ref your shoulder - see how it is tomorrow. If it's not right, go get it looked at.

FWI - some schools of thought suggest you do not take Ibruprofen in the first 48 hours as it masks symptoms and reduces `natural healing` - whatever that is.

"Non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs are often used for analgesia in soft tissue injury. The evidence to support this is weak, plus NSAIDs may even delay healing."

Hope you get out again soon and well done for wearing a sensible helmet.

I'll certainly take things a little easier once I can ride again. I guess learning to eject the bike and roll is only going to come with more crashes :mrgreen:

Pain hasn't been that bad so I've not taken any meds, I rarely do.

Helmet did a great job of saving my bonce. I now see it was the crank arm that also hit my in the head, helmet coloured mark on it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    nocash168 wrote:

I'll certainly take things a little easier once I can ride again. I guess learning to eject the bike and roll is only going to come with more crashes :mrgreen:

Early on in my mtb career, I used to bail out at the first sign of trouble. I can clearly remember the first time I stuck with the bike and rode it out. It felt like an enormous barrier had been passed! The bike was clearly MUCH better than me and all I had to do was to stick with it. Then as I got better and better, the crashes started to get worse and I had to learn to judge when to bail out. Sad to say that I haven't got there yet, still sticking with the bike! :shock: