Sportive event question

golfer+1
golfer+1 Posts: 11
edited April 2019 in Amateur race
I am new to cycling (golf injury) and would like to spend some weekends away with the Mrs doing some sportives around the UK. If I turn up at an event do you have to ride alone or is it common practice to ride in groups.

Comments

• Just been through the same process myself.
    Ride how you want. With someone or on your own....it doesn't matter. Ride with someone for a short while or a long time. Your choice. Stop at the feed station? You don't have to and you can miss it out if you wish.

Officially it's not a race but a lot of guys will be looking for a good time. If that's you then fine. If you want to pootle round that's your prerogative.

In short you ride it how you want to. All you have to do is follow the route and any instructions the organisers give you. It's a ride in the country for you to approach as you wish.
  • GrannygearGaz
    GrannygearGaz Posts: 10
    edited April 2019
    In most sportives I've done I have inevitably ended up doing most/all/some of the route with people riding at a similar pace. You get the odd walloper with headphones in just cycling round but most are really friendly and happy to chat.

As already said, some are out to push themselves and get the best time they can but a lot of folk are out to enjoy the closed roads and happy for a chat!
  • a lot of folk are out to enjoy he closed roads
    You won't get many of those. Most are on open roads, but in quiet areas.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I've done 2 and was alone the whole route except the first half mile.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    As others have said, do what you want, how you want and at the speed you want (safely of course). Have found people very friendly and will talk if you make an effort, but have also spent good stretches in my own company. Have also sped round in a group and been one of the last finishers after enjoying the pit stops and several cafes and cakes on the way. No one cares as long as you ride safe and enjoy!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ride with or without people - you'll probably drift in and out of groups of people which is no bad thing as, much like golf, there are loads of really boring clubbie people in cycling who like to drone about how good they are before slowly dropping baaaaaaaaccckkkkkkkkkkkk.

Find someone nice, ride along, have a chat and laugh, don't take it too seriously. You are aren't going to get pulled to one side after the Watford Sportive and asked to sign for EF.

#enjoyitwithnicepeople
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've enjoyed the sportive / charity rides I've done with friends and family, but I entered a couple of sportives on my own, and after spending the first 30 minutes being overtaken I was largely riding alone / getting lost. I can do that quite happily any time I like without handing over 20 quid to Wiggle.

Just go at a pace you know you can sustain for the distance. Chat to anybody who seems to be going the same speed. Eat fig rolls and refill your bottles at the feed stops. Enjoy!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Why is this in the race forum, ffs...
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I can't believe this, I was just riding the Watford one and EF have just signed me! Nice.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sportives are not races officially or otherwise. You might get closed roads on the odd Gran Fondo or Ride London, but not on you average sportive. With the average pace differences of participants, it would cause massive disruption for local residents. Add in the usual three variations in route differences and the logistics would be chaotic.

You'll get very good clubbies on sportives and complete novices. You find your pace among the field. But, other than the feed stations and sometimes mechanical recovery available, I can't see why I'd pay to use public roads? I can stuff my pockets with food or route via cafes and save the money. A gold, silver or bronze medal from a sportive doesn't float my boat. But, each to their own.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    meursault wrote:
    I can't believe this, I was just riding the Watford one and EF have just signed me! Nice.

sweeeet! i did the Tour of Hull (organised by ahull Velo Roulers) and some bloke called me a twzt at threw a can of beans at me.

#somepeoplehavealltheluck
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.