Fitting brifters to carbon bars - assembly paste?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Hi. As per title really. Am finishing off fitting my new 3T Ernovas today. I know I should use assembly paste where the stem clamps the bars, but should I also use it on the interface between the shifters and the bars?
Cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No need, just torque to the correct setting, they don’t receive the same loads as something like a seat post...

PP
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    And often there is a roughened area on the bars anyway to help prevent any slipping.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks gents. I didn't bother (though did apply some paste to the stem clamp). All seemed rock solid during a 38 mile trial ride, including some short sharp climbs, and various sprints for village signs...
    Great bars too
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    stem clamp is a deffo together with adhering to torque settings and doing up the face plate bolts in the correct order.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    stem clamp is a deffo together with adhering to torque settings and doing up the face plate bolts in the correct order.

Not always. My bars (3TTT) have a roughened area for the stem clamp, as well as on the bends for levers, so no paste needed. Been fine for 2 years.