What kind of cassette is this?

TheKnightRider
TheKnightRider Posts: 4
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I am looking to get a spare cassette. Can anyone tell me what kind of cassette this is? I need to get a cassette for my smart trainer.

On the inside, it says Shimano mf 2012.

IMG-20190324-224110.jpg IMG-20190324-224122.jpg IMG-20190407-053419.jpg

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Looks like a threaded freewheel, not a cassette.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    edited April 2019
    That is a freewheel, not a cassette. You can't get a 6 speed cassette, so I can't see any way of making the bike that uses this work with a direct drive trainer.
  • Well, that is new information to me. I have a direct driver Hammer. I went out and bought a Shimano 105 CS-5700 10 Speed Cassette 11-25. I installed it and am actually able to ride my trainer in ERG mode since it changes the resistance for me. that way. Unfortunately, my chain will only stay on one gear. The chain jumps around on all other gears. I thought the reason it was jumping around was due to using the wrong cassette.

noname-8.jpg noname-5.jpg noname-6.jpg noname-7.jpg 158655-1551206.jpg

I am really confused here. Please advise.
  • Mad_Malx
    edited April 2019
    If I understand what you have done - 6 speed wheel on your bike, you have taken off the back wheel and put bike on your trainer with a 10 speed cassette.

The chain on your bike will be much wider than a 10 speed, so is likely to foul the adjacent gears and probably explains jumping. You may get away with just changing to a 10sp chain. Is your gear shifter indexed (click stops between gears) or just friction? If former then you will never get proper shifting, the gaps are all wrong and you only have 6 clicks. You might get away with it on a friction shifter.

Edit - might be a problem with front shifting too, chain likely to drop into the gap between the chainrings.

You probably won't be able to swap back onto the 6 speed back wheel, the narrow chain risks dropping between the gaps I think.
  • Mad_Malx
    Since it looks like you have shelled out a lot of money on a trainer might be easier just to get a cheap bike to hook up permanently.
  • Thanks for your very helpful reply.

IMG-20190324-185016.jpg

This is a photo of the current setup on the Cycleops Hammer. I have friction shifting. I have a Steve Bauer size 54 road bike.

Yes, I installed the Shimano 105 CS-5700 10 Speed Cassette 11-25 on the Hammer.

I took off the back wheel and put the bike on the Hammer trainer with the Shimano 105 CS-5700 10 Speed Cassette 11-25.

A permanent solution might be a good idea. What should I be looking for in a road bike? I spent hundreds on this bike just to use it on the trainer.

What kind of price point could I be looking at?

Thank you!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The cheapest 10sp bike you can lay your hands on. It could be made out of pig iron, but you'd never notice on the trainer.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/