Upgrading to DuraAce Di2 from Ultegra

scotthunter
scotthunter Posts: 140
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Hello,

I am considering upgrading my Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2018 with R8000 mechanical Ultegra to Shimano Dura Ace 9150 Di2 Gear Kit. The cheapest I have found online is £1149. Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to a full Dura-Ace groupset.

Can you tell me if the Dura Ace Di2 front and rear derailleurs will be compatible with Ultegra 11x30 cassette, Ultegra 36/52 crankset and Ultegra chain?

Many thanks.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yes.

PP
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    you should be able to sell the ultegra mechs and STI units for quite a few quid.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Hello,

I am considering upgrading my Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2018 with R8000 mechanical Ultegra to Shimano Dura Ace 9150 Di2 Gear Kit. The cheapest I have found online is £1149. Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to a full Dura-Ace groupset.

Can you tell me if the Dura Ace Di2 front and rear derailleurs will be compatible with Ultegra 11x30 cassette, Ultegra 36/52 crankset and Ultegra chain?

Many thanks.

I'm also going to have to change to di2 from mechanical.
    If you are on a budget and already have ultegra r8000 why not just buy the ultegra upgrade kit?
    The performance between 8050 and 9150 is very similar, the biggest difference being weight.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ul ... 12246.html
  • scotthunter
    scotthunter Posts: 140
    redvision wrote:
    Hello,

Many thanks.

If you are on a budget and already have ultegra r8000 why not just buy the ultegra upgrade kit?
    The performance between 8050 and 9150 is very similar, the biggest difference being weight.

Do you know what the difference in weight would be between having R8050 Di2 with R8000 crankset and cassette, and Dura Ace 9150 Di2 with R8000 crankset and cassette?

The Dura Ace levers might be worth the extra cost of the upgrade since they may offer subtle tactile improvements over Ultegra. I could also upgrade the crankset, cassette and brake calipers later down the line to complete the groupset.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvision wrote:
    Hello,

Many thanks.

Do you know what the difference in weight would be between having R8050 Di2 with R8000 crankset and cassette, and Dura Ace 9150 Di2 with R8000 crankset and cassette?

The Dura Ace levers might be worth the extra cost of the upgrade since they may offer subtle tactile improvements over Ultegra. I could also upgrade the crankset, cassette and brake calipers later down the line to complete the groupset.

I agree with Redvision, Ultegra R8050 Di2 is fine, works just as well as Dura Ace Di2 in exactly the same way. Timing between shifts, response, feel everything. The only difference is in the weight by the lighter materials used. Weigh that up against the additional cost of Dura Ace over Ultegra.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Just don't tell ryan
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    redvision wrote:
    Hello,

Many thanks.

https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/2018-road-groupset-weight-comparison