Getting Strava to automatically recognise bike

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited April 2019 in Workshop
As the title. I have several bikes and need to manually edit every Strava ride I do to select which bike was used (unless it was the default one). I like to keep this data as it tells me how many miles I've done on each bike as well as allowing comparisons between bikes. It strikes me that there should be an easier way of doing this in this day & age.. It's very easy to forget to do it and potentially skew the data.

I'm using a Wahoo Bolt. Is that the problem? The Bolt doesn't have different settings for different bikes like my old Garmin used to. Can't remember if the Garmin used to report the bike to Strava or not..

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How does the Garmin know what bike you are using? (answer: it doesn't )
  • neeb
    Imposter wrote:
    How does the Garmin know what bike you are using? (answer: it doesn't )
    Well, when you use it you select the bike you are riding (you tell it so it knows). You always remember to do that because otherwise it doesn't detect the PM. The question is whether it reports that info to Strava and if Strava is capable of using it to set the bike. Call me ignorant but I'm not sufficiently interested in .fit file formats and communication protocols to immediately know if that's the case or not.. :wink:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    No it doesn't. In fact it only registers the bike ID on the head unit, so for instance in Garmin Connect (I know you're using a Elemnt but the principal is the same) the "default" equipment for cycling will stay as the same bike unless you manually change it. ICBA, so it remains the same.
  • neeb
    rafletcher wrote:
    No it doesn't. In fact it only registers the bike ID on the head unit, so for instance in Garmin Connect (I know you're using a Elemnt but the principal is the same) the "default" equipment for cycling will stay as the same bike unless you manually change it. ICBA, so it remains the same.
    Ah, OK. That's annoying.

It would be useful then if Strava had a setting to make a dialogue automatically come up to ask which bike was used. Or at least some sort of toggle box on the feed so that you could easily see and change the bike without having to go into the edit mode.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a matter of seconds to edit the data. I like to name my weekend rides and bung some pics on for good measure.

You can have the default set as your most popular bike to save a bit of time.
  • neeb
    Yes, it doesn't take too long but you have to remember to do it - every time..

It's particularly annoying me at the moment because I now have two different summer bikes I use almost equally, so 40% of the time the default is wrong.

I think it would help if the bike used was at least displayed on the summary of the activity on the main feed instead of only at the bottom of the detailed view of the activity. Then I would always notice if it was wrong and remember to edit it.. :-)