Viictor Campenaerts on schedule to break Sir Brads hour record.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2019 in Pro race
The belgian rider from Lotto Sudal is half an hour into his record attempt and currently 16 seconds ahead of Sir Bradley Wiggins time.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    He'll blow up, they all do.
  • ademort
    Pross wrote:

Ihope so pross
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    ademort wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Ihope so pross

Campenaert breaks the record by over 500 metres. It was 54.526Km its now 55.089Km.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited April 2019
    55.089km. A new record.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Great stuff
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Amazing...
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Good for him - altitude obviously helps but plenty of others have gone to the same place and failed.

I wonder if Wiggo wishes he had gone to altitude - certainly he could have done with a dryer day as I recall.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Aguascalientes comes up trumps again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    TimothyW wrote:
    Good for him - altitude obviously helps but plenty of others have gone to the same place and failed.

I wonder if Wiggo wishes he had gone to altitude - certainly he could have done with a dryer day as I recall.

It was air pressure that was Wiggo's issue

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ugo.santalucia
    Air pressure is a function of altitude, obviously.

Wiggins could have done with a more humid day, as well as lower air pressure
  • Superb stuff.
  • ContrelaMontre

Yep, but it was an especially high pressure day even for a sea level ride.

• ugo.santalucia

Yep, but it was an especially high pressure day even for a sea level ride.

Yes... not unusual in summer though... should have picked a different time of the year. Velodromes can be heated if it's cold, but nothing you can do against high air pressure
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,609
    Yebbut. As per his chat on the Brad podcast, he planned the ride as a public event, chose the day 6 months ahead, sold tickets, chose the venue as the site of the old Lee Valley venue, etc etc.

Still holds the sea level record then.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut. As per his chat on the Brad podcast, he planned the ride as a public event, chose the day 6 months ahead, sold tickets, chose the venue as the site of the old Lee Valley venue, etc etc.

Still holds the sea level record then.
    I bet that’s satisfying for him
  • ContrelaMontre
    I doubt Bradley Wiggins cares. I expect he will be saying congrats to Victor. He always knew it would be broken by somebody.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He stated in his podcast that he wants the record to be broken. He believes it will be good for the sport. Wiggins comes off as incredibly likeable and nuanced in his commentary. The way he handled Froome's comments regarding that he couldn't be trusted in the 2012 Tour was tremendously kind, generous and magnanimous.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He stated in his podcast that he wants the record to be broken. He believes it will be good for the sport. Wiggins comes off as incredibly likeable and nuanced in his commentary. The way he handled Froome's comments regarding that he couldn't be trusted in the 2012 Tour was tremendously kind, generous and magnanimous.

Its funny, in the last year he's been saying that he can say what he want nowadays as he's no longer a slave to sponsors, but in truth, he's become much more thoughtful and diplomatic.

The dragging up, again, of the 2012 drama, is nonsense, and every headline recently has been empty clickbait. Pathetic.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    M.R.M. wrote:

If this is all covered in a single episode, can you provide a link?

I bet he feels like the weight of the world is off his shoulders. I sort of got the feeling he wasn't really happy.

Thanks
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...the most recent one covers most of it.

He's very much of the 'records are meant to be broken' opinion
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    M.R.M. wrote:

I bet he feels like the weight of the world is off his shoulders. I sort of got the feeling he wasn't really happy.

Thanks
    https://audioboom.com/posts/7233361-wig ... x-reaction

The Froome comments were from his interview with Nico Rosberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYyHyDgXw4Q

I think that ultimately they both understand each others point of view.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    hopefully this opens the door for others to have a go. An attempt from Tony Martin is long overdue... he could close his career in some style, like fellow German Voigt did
  • carbonclem
    Seems that Alex Dowsett is keen to have another crack at it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    No disrespect to Dowsett but he doesn't have the engine of Wiggins or Campanaerts surely.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    No disrespect to Dowsett but he doesn't have the engine of Wiggins or Campanaerts surely.

He has held the record before... 53 km or so... put him at 1900 mt on the right day he can do > 55 km
  • carbonclem
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Well, it was Wiggins that took the record from him, and he's a rider who stated afterwards he didn't think it was 'that' hard as such. Great track rider, decent TT'er and it clearly doesn't faze him. I think with the support from the team he'd be well in with another shout.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    M.R.M. wrote:

Thanks
    I listen via Apple podcast app on the iPhone, but you can find it here among others:

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/ ... rt-Podcast

edit: Rich already posted links as well :)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    CarbonClem wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Well, it was Wiggins that took the record from him, and he's a rider who stated afterwards he didn't think it was 'that' hard as such. Great track rider, decent TT'er and it clearly doesn't faze him. I think with the support from the team he'd be well in with another shout.

Agree... it's important to bear in mind that on the day anything can happen. Favourable air pressure can make a big difference... given unlimited amount of attempts the most powerful rider will win, but given one attempt only, anything can really happen.
  • Surely some boffin will soon calculate how far Wiggo would have gone had the air pressure been the same as for Campenaerts? Not that it makes any difference, just curious.
    I saw him do his ‘An Evening With Bradley Wiggins’ thing last year and, then too, he was very much of the opinion the record shouldn’t lay dormant.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Saw Dan Bigham calculating on instagram that Campanaerts averaged about 330w. No idea how he arrived at that or anything or how the altitude affects the power output but it might be of interest to some