Slight wheel "kick" when disc brake applied.

stuarttunstall
stuarttunstall Posts: 16
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all...

Been a member for a while but usually just browse, but I have a quick question if you can help me… if this is the wrond section for a "Hybrid" please let me know and move the post :)

I noticed this morning that when I applied the brakes on my Scott Sub Cross 10 2018 the front wheel seems to pull/kicks to the left slightly when you look at the top of the wheel from the riding position, not much but you can see it…

It may have always done it but I never noticed.. it is only a few millimetres movement if you look at the top of the front wheel when the brake is applied hard...

When I got back home I removed the wheel, more to see if the Quick Release was loose which it appeared was not over tight as such but OK…

What I did notice was the bearing cone lock nut seemed to be loose and there was a bit of movement in the hub… so, right or wrong I just tightened the lock nut finger tight using no tools and it seemed to stop the hub movement a little… With the wheel back in the slight kick seems to be there still, but not as bad…

Is this slight kick normal for a disc brake bike or do I need to get the bearings adjusted? It seems to ride OK with no knocks or anything.. Should I ride it before I get it checked?

I am not a bike expert as I am back on the bike after 40 years off lol so if I need it checked /adjusted I would rather get a bike shop to look and do it right

Stuart

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    You have proved what the problem is, but you need a proper fix before you totally knacker the bearings and your hub. If you don't have the tools or the skills, get that front hub sorted before you ride again. Unless it is already knackered, it should not be expensive. Get the rear wheel checked while you are at it.
  • I am going to get it checked next weekend to be safe :)
  • Out of curiosity I have just been out and looked at the bike...

Lifted the front wheel and tried to move it left to right, quite strongly, no movement can be felt at all.. plus to the eye I can see nothing, no movement at all...

I would think that if it was major it I would see or feel the movement...

I am still going to the shop next Friday or Saturday to be safe, and if I don't get out on Saturday I am off work all the following week so I can make up for it lol ... want to get out 3 or 4 time anyway :smile:

Stuart
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Fork leg flexing?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    Fork leg flexing?

Not that I can see, they seem rigid enough to me...
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Could be that the spokes need retensioning, this is usually the cause of wheels flexing when braking, as long as the bearings are ok.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Locknut needs tightening properly with cone spanners once the bearings are correctly adjusted. If in doubt, too loose is better than too tight which will accelerate bearing wear.

Is the disc securely alttached to the hub?? Does the caliper need re-aligning?
  • Hi

I have just had an email from the store, it is going to be checked Friday or Saturday to make sure all is OK :)
  • Went into Evans in York om Friday and it was loose... At first he did say not that bad to cause my issue until I said I had tightened the lock nut by hand... ahh in that case it would be the problem :smile: all sorted in 5 mins, wheel back in bike and just a quick check and it does seem all good again..

Last week even pushing the bike and pulling the front brake cause some defection but that has now gone... Went out on Saturday morning for 14 miles and it is now perfect..

Oh and no charge!

Evans may not be the cheapest around but in my personal opinion York are fantastic.. Good customer service as usual :smile:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do like a happy ending! And nice to hear about good service for a change.
  • Been out again this morning and all is good again, think the rough roads I use shook it loose lol

I must say that Evans in York have always been fantastic, I purchased the bike from them last year and the service is always excellent and helpful... It is a shame they had the financial difficulties, but everyone knows they are not the cheapest which I think was there downfall... shame really..

Stuart