Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Looks like a 'regular' tyre cut - doesn't mean it's gone through the casing...
  • velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    Folks. is anybody running tubes and tyres on Mavic UST wheels. Ksyrium Elites seem to be 'hookless' and just wonder about the safety of fitting regular tyres to the rim. Had no such issue on Ultegra 6800 which were tubeless compatible but had a 'hooked' rim.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    Imposter wrote:
    Looks like a 'regular' tyre cut - doesn't mean it's gone through the casing...
    I think the white thing inside is sealant though. Guess I can't really find out without taking the tyre off!
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    velo.2010 wrote:
    Folks. is anybody running tubes and tyres on Mavic UST wheels. Ksyrium Elites seem to be 'hookless' and just wonder about the safety of fitting regular tyres to the rim. Had no such issue on Ultegra 6800 which were tubeless compatible but had a 'hooked' rim.

Ksyrium Elite UST's are hooked: https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/techn ... ronu=25674
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    rieko wrote:
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:

Update on my tires. They feel night and day compared to my stock Giant Gavia's. Much more grippy in the wet and they just roll nicer. I did get my first puncture with them over the weekend and they sealed up as they should perfectly.

So far so good.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What tyres?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Look, I could probably go back a few pages.....but......

The Giant has Giant TL tyres. They are, apparently, "ok."

GP5000 seem to be God like, from all available reviews. But they are not cheap.

Schwabe One are cheap(er).

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-p ... 12358.html

What's the current forum opinion given I'd need to buy fluid for Conti as well
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cycleclinic
    Conti are not god like tyres. They are a really good TT/racing tyre. For pace there nothing to touch them. They wear out too quickly for daily use.

I have the Hutchinson fusion 5 all seasons on the commutor at the moment. They are definitely higher crr than the conti's but I think they have more grip. The conti get praise because they are conti's.
  • solarflash
    solarflash Posts: 102
    How to the Fusion 5 all seasons compare with sectors?
  • I’m new to tubeless tyres due to a new Giant bike with 25c Giant tyres and have been reading up what I need to know.

My previous road bike ran Gatorskins and while I never liked the feel of them I did like the lack of punctures so I’m hoping to get a setup that feels better but is as if not more puncture resistant than gatorskins and hoping that sealant will help with this. My questions really are around what I need to buy to achieve my goal, I’m not a speed demon but like to commute on occasion and do sportives and have my first 100 mile lined up (90 being prev best)

I will of course try the Giants and see how I get on but if I had a shopping list for new tyres, sealant and gubbins needed to inject what would you fine people suggest? (I’m going to buy a Maxalami kit to carry with me from reading this thread.)
  • I’m new to tubeless tyres due to a new Giant bike with 25c Giant tyres and have been reading up what I need to know.

My previous road bike ran Gatorskins and while I never liked the feel of them I did like the lack of punctures so I’m hoping to get a setup that feels better but is as if not more puncture resistant than gatorskins and hoping that sealant will help with this. My questions really are around what I need to buy to achieve my goal, I’m not a speed demon but like to commute on occasion and do sportives and have my first 100 mile lined up (90 being prev best)

I will of course try the Giants and see how I get on but if I had a shopping list for new tyres, sealant and gubbins needed to inject what would you fine people suggest? (I’m going to buy a Maxalami kit to carry with me from reading this thread.)
  • cycleclinic
    edited March 2019
    almost everyone I know find gatorskins to be puncture prone. it not so much how often a tyre punctures but how easy it is to sort out. with tubeless for it to be easy to sort out if the tyre is retained by the rim if you loose all air. In that case all you need are good sticky tyre plugs. Bobones says they dont work but has never said which plugs he has tried.

The 4 tubeless tyres with decent puncture protection are the IRC formula pro X guard, Hutchinson fusion 5 all season, Goodyear Eagle (the ride quality is poor for tubeless though) and that pirrelli cintura
  • almost everyone I know find gatorskins to be puncture prone. it not so much how often a tyre punctures but how easy it is to sort out. with tubeless for it to be easy to sort out the tyre has be retained by the rim if you loose all air. In that case all you need are good sticky tyre plugs. Bobones has they dont work but has never said which plugs he has tried.

The 4 tubeless tyres with decent puncture protection are the IRC formula pro X guard, Hutchinson fusion 5 all season, Goodyear Eagle (the ride quality is poor for tubeless though) and that pirrelli cintura

Thanks, I was puncture prone until I swapped to gators but I’m happy to never ride them again!

Does different/better sealant make any difference? Should I go for one brand in particular?
  • The most common sealant is Effetto Caffelatex.
    Is great until it doesn't seal a small hole. And dries out quicker than you think.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    I just edited to correct the spelling. Effing predictive text. Who the hell invented it.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I just edited to correct the spelling. Effing predictive text. Who the hell invented it.

He died last week. May he burn in hello :D
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    My first experience of tubeless road tyres, fitted some Hutchinson fusion 5 all season in 28mm to some Hunt Mason X wheels.

Went on beautifully, pumped up with a track pump, ride really well, great grip and seems plenty fast enough for my training bike.

Only issue is that after a week the front tyre still keeps going down, its not as bad as it was, but if I stick 100psi in, ride a 35 mile commute, then return the next day its probably 50 or 60 psi.

I didnt measure the amount of sealent I put it, so perhaps didnt put enough in.

Shall I give it more time, crack the tyre off and add some more sealent or is this typical?
  • cycleclinic
    More likely you have a valve seal issue. Valve not properly seated or. Small year in the tape.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    2019 25c Vittoria Corsa TLRs (Graphene 2.0) fitted without an issue (needed a AirShot to seat them, but up first time).

Very smooth and one of the grippiest tyres I've ever used. So grippy they're fairly noisy and I assume not 'that' fast rolling due to this. Extremely supple and don't ballon to a silly size.

My GP5Ks are much quieter and I would say roll a fair bit faster, but who knows until the tests come out.....
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Ryan_W wrote:
    2019 25c Vittoria Corsa TLRs (Graphene 2.0) fitted without an issue (needed a AirShot to seat them, but up first time).

Very smooth and one of the grippiest tyres I've ever used. So grippy they're fairly noisy and I assume not 'that' fast rolling due to this. Extremely supple and don't ballon to a silly size.

My GP5Ks are much quieter and I would say roll a fair bit faster, but who knows until the tests come out.....

Well, the 2018 Corsa have the lowest rolling resistance in tests
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • zefs
    For people that use asymmetric rim profiles and tubeless, make sure to use tubeless valves that have the extra spacer included. I wasn't using it up until now (no issues), but I changed the valves on my Ksyriums and they seem to hold air better, even without sealant. Not sure how many asymmetric rims are on the market, but Ksyriums are in that category.
    The spacers look like that (the two plastic parts in the middle):

61DB7fQwoOL._SX425_.jpg

Example of asymmetric rim on the right:

2017-pacenti-forza-rim-profiles.gif
  • cycleclinic
    I use asymmetric rims alot and don't seem to have this issue but then again I use valves with the right shape for the rims. That's the trick. There is no such thing as a universal valve. Also those rubber o rings do jack all. They don't improve the seal. They can be left out.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Agreed. I had big problems with leaks using conical profile valves on Open Pro UST rims. As soon as I switched to valves with rectangular rubber plugs the problem was solved.
  • zefs
    I use asymmetric rims alot and don't seem to have this issue but then again I use valves with the right shape for the rims. That's the trick. There is no such thing as a universal valve. Also those rubber o rings do jack all. They don't improve the seal. They can be left out.

Yes shape must be right too.
    Before using the spacer I was using the rubber o rings and there was a visible gap shown since the rims are asymmetric and there was a leak when I didn't use sealant. With the plastic spacers added as shown in this video there is no gap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6VaI7-InpQ
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    First attempt at mounting tubeless tyres last night.

GP5000TL onto Wheelsmith Aero Carbon Disc 50mm http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/product-page/aero-38-50-60

Now I was expecting this to be a tough gig, but I cant get anywhere near getting the second bead onto the rim.

I have tried "chasing the slack" - what are the other "go to" techniques for particularly tough tyres to fit?

I've read about warming the tyre and also the obvious tyre lever approach (which I'm trying to avoid)
  • zefs
    You could try
    1) soapy water on the beads
    2) end at the valve
    3) when you get on the last tough part stop and starting from opposite to the valve try to push the bead into the rim well a couple of times, then hold one side of the "tough part" so it doesn't twist and use a lever on the other side
  • cycleclinic
    When most people chase the slack they don't gather any. Try again. They will mount.

What I have found is most home fitter lack the skills to mount a tight tyre. Go to a shop and let them do it.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    When most people chase the slack they don't gather any. Try again. They will mount.

What I have found is most home fitter lack the skills to mount a tight tyre. Go to a shop and let them do it.

I have concluded that you are correct, and I'll ask the mechanic to fit the tyres when I give him all the bits to build my bike.

My problem last night (apart from two bruised thumb nails, skint knuckles and teaching my 15 yo son a couple of new curses) is that I can't get the first bead out of the way to allow the second bead to sit down in the "trough" as I install it.

I'm not trying again, as I couldn't decide last night whether my left arm was sore from hauling at the tyre, or I was actually having a heart attack!
  • Ryan_W wrote:
    No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.

Ah yes, looks like they've added 90g to the weight. Probably similar performance to the Maxxis Padrone and Mavic Yksion Pro