Tyre suggestions for a 29er hybrid for commuting 5 days per week

GUMK
GUMK Posts: 7
edited June 2019 in Commuting general
Any suggestions for a 29er tyre to commute, 22-23 mile round trip, 5 days a week?

I'm not what you would describe as svelte, and I use panniers.

The old MTB I was gifted to commute on has gone to the great trail in the sky, I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Cycle to Work scheme Marin Muirwoods 29er, which will be my full time commute vehicle.

The passing of the old bike, and arrival of the new coincides with me not renewing my £1000 per year Travel Pass, so I can shout for 'good' tyres.

I had City Jets on the old bike, but they got ripped to shreds on the paths/roads & trails on my route, I put tyre liner in both tyres and had a number of 'internal' punctures, so ideally I'd like to use tyre that would not require additional support.

I'm not bothered about speed, I've chosen my route as it keeps me off roads for 70% of it, I'm very much in the 'I have a family and need to ride like I remember that' mould. It's still quicker than my bus and train commute though.

I've heard lots of good things about Schwalbe Marathon Plus, are there similar options anyone can recommend?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, as I'm moving to full time cycle commuting, I want to get this right.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Yep Schwalbe Marathon are pretty good
    The others worth looking at are
    Continental - Gatorskin, Gatorhardshell, Touring plus reflex, contact reflex, travel contact
    Schwalbe Durano plus or double defence
    Panaracer Ribmo

I commute on rural roads and the standard Schwalbe Durano does me fine but id choose one of the above for urban riding with a 28-32 width.
    Plenty of options there. The other thing of course is a good track pump and ensure your tyres are at correct pressure
  • GUMK
    lemonenema wrote:
    Yep Schwalbe Marathon are pretty good
    The others worth looking at are
    Continental - Gatorskin, Gatorhardshell, Touring plus reflex, contact reflex, travel contact
    Schwalbe Durano plus or double defence
    Panaracer Ribmo

I commute on rural roads and the standard Schwalbe Durano does me fine but id choose one of the above for urban riding with a 28-32 width.
    Plenty of options there. The other thing of course is a good track pump and ensure your tyres are at correct pressure

Thanks lemonenema, I just got a 'price match' deal on Halfords internet for a pair of Marathon Plus tyres (£24 each) and picked them up an hour later. I opted for 38c as 1.5 is the narrowest tyre I've ever used (quite frankly, narrower tyres scare me).

I invested in a track pump as well, cracking suggestion BTW. :P

I've bookmarked the other tyres you suggested, hadn't heard of most of them.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Can't argue with £24 each!
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Bit late now I know
    I commute 10 miles each way most of which on cycle /tow paths.
    Went from 23s to 25s have 28s on the tandem and now on 35s tubeless G one's. So far touch wood very good for my commute.

I do think tubeless us he way to go for commuting. Small frame pump just in case lose too much pressure before sealent does its job
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    GUMK wrote:
    The old MTB I was gifted to commute on has gone to the great trail in the sky, I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Cycle to Work scheme Marin Muirwoods 29er, which will be my full time commute vehicle.

How are you getting on with the muirwoods? I was so close to ordering that...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • GUMK
    GUMK wrote:

How are you getting on with the muirwoods? I was so close to ordering that...

Hi Wolfsbane2k,

I'm loving it!

I'm leaning further forward than I've ever done before, that took some getting used to (i have intermittent back pain from getting knocked off my scooter a few years ago).

Only ever having had 26" wheels in the past, the 29" ones are a revelation. I now just 'tootle', because I can :D

Very positive experience, especially the gearing, I didn't realise how much I was hamstrung by only having the relatively low gears on the MTB.

I carry a lot, using panniers, back and forth so speed isn't my thing, and my commute times have reduced despite me not putting as much effort in these days.

All told its been a thoroughly positive experience, and my Annual Travel Pass expires tomorrow, so this is me from now on :)