Bottom Bracket Help

crazymilk
crazymilk Posts: 18
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
HI there
I am looking at replacing/servicing the bottom bracket on my Cube Reaction TM as it seems very slack/crunchy after alot of miles on the trials.

I have read up and it seems there are many types of bottom brackets available (sorry preety new to the MTB scene). From what I can work out it currently has RaceFace Aeffect SL crankset and 32T ring up front so before I pull it apart I was hoping somebody could tell me what type my bike has and if there is any particular size ect I shoud be looking at?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    It is probably a press fit bottom bracket unless you can see external cups that are threaded into the frame?

If its press fit you can usually tap out the bearings and press new bearings in without removing the whole thing.
  • crazymilk
    crazymilk Posts: 18
    OK so if I did want to either change the bearing out or get a new BB - do I have to get another Raceface BB or can I get a different brand and everything will fit OK?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    crazymilk wrote:
    OK so if I did want to either change the bearing out or get a new BB - do I have to get another Raceface BB or can I get a different brand and everything will fit OK?

You can buy any make of bottom bracket but you must buy the specific type for your frame, pressfit, bsa threaded etc depending on which one you will need.

Have you looked up your bike on the manufacturers website, they normally have archive if its not a current model with the frame specs etc for previous years models.