my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    WFH before out of office goes on :)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning from the train of virgins.
    Planned to run to the station but got up too late so had to bike. Going to try and get the early train home again.
    TLW1 wrote:
    WFH before out of office goes on :)
    I might put the out of office on this evening. I'm back in on Monday though :D
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Wfw, then out of office on too. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    tdv has managed to get a flight 5 hours earlier than planned so she will be home soon, which is nice.

i've had a haircut

was going to walk the dog but will do that once tdv is back

then onwards to fuckwittery! codeine here we come!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Since when did Thursday night decide it was big enough to compete with Friday night? Bloody Gin...

Screwfix awaits and then time to bury myself under some floorboards and try not to electrocute myself.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Power to the people!
    I'm meeting some old school friends at Tooting Bec this evening so I'm channelling "Foxy" Smith. Just need to get myself a beret.
    Lovely and sunny morning again, at least it looks that way. The frost gave the game away a little bit, toes were chilly by the time I got here. Took the long way home last night through Richmond Park, it was slightly depressing. I was passed by a group of women and children climbing a hill, I was consoling myself with the fact that they were much younger and lighter than me when I was passed by a septuagenarian. I gave up and went home at that point.
    Nearly coffee time.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    More frost, beatings to be distributed, coffee to be made and inhaled muffins to be eaten.

knocking off early today going to mess about with some car detailing products that turned up.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Step83 wrote:
    knocking off early today going to mess about with some car detailing products that turned up.

Oooh, what you got? [set geek mode to full whack]
    Have you tried?:
    Turtle wax premium rubbing compound (8) (slightly more aggressive than the Meguire's)
    Meguire's rubbing compound (7 - usual over rated/marketed Meguire product)
    Halfrauds rubbing compound (7)(very aggressive)
    Fusso99 soft - either sheen (10) or high gloss (10)? Easy application.
    Any of the 3m products (9), mainly because they are specifically for machine polishing use. Although, you probably know that.
    Autoglym super resin polish (9), upholstery cleaner (10), Vinyl and rubber care (10), fast glass (5).
    Any of the clay bars?
    Any of the Bilt Hamber stuff?
    T Cut colour wax (9) is excellent after a clay bar and for the first few applications. After that, Sonax colour wax (9) - doesn't cut.

I've rated them out of 10 for future reference :D

Me going into the sticks me. Toots are at home doing arty stuff. Building a rocket apparently.

[20 mins later after helping a bit],,,

It's sunny, good.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    Pinno, I have a tin of Fusso Soft99 somewhere I've been itching to use but need the car properly clean first.

AG stuff..

Fast Glass I didnt get on well with may have been user error but kept getting marks
    upholstery cleaner, the Interior Shampoo I really rate it, worked well on all fabrics I've tried leaves a nice fresh smell too
    Vinyl and Rubber care,, found it a bit meh, doesnt last that long, I usually use Poorboys Trim restorer, its coconut oil based an a little goes a long way, though on plastic trims I use a dye ill get the make of when I go home, solved my old plastics look on the Saab.

Rubbing compounds I usually stick with G3, I have some Meguiers plastix which is OK on plastic.

Machines not really had much play time with I borrowed one to do a wax/glaze combo thats been it, but that was a while back.

Clay, I have a dirty great block of Auto finesse clay to play with, tried it on the bike (why not) with water as a lubricant seems to be OK, may use some speed detailer if it goes sticky.

Not used Bilt Hamber im afraid

Usual glass product for me is Windex, so blue vinegar, then some Rainx on the outside.

Toys that have arrived, Auto Finesse snowfoam lance and foam and an autoglanz "addiction box", box changes monthly but defiantly includes some glass clothes an applicator waxes and detailer, plus some wheel cleaner, the smelly stuff that turns purple.

I'll go through what I use later, likely once the cars done!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Power to the people!
    I'm meeting some old school friends at Tooting Bec this evening so I'm channelling "Foxy" Smith. Just need to get myself a beret.
    Lovely and sunny morning again, at least it looks that way. The frost gave the game away a little bit, toes were chilly by the time I got here. Took the long way home last night through Richmond Park, it was slightly depressing. I was passed by a group of women and children climbing a hill, I was consoling myself with the fact that they were much younger and lighter than me when I was passed by a septuagenarian. I gave up and went home at that point.
    Nearly coffee time.

Wolfie Smith Veronese, not foxy. Unless you find Robert Lindsay that attractive?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I just use illegal* immigrants.

*this bit might be made up.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Wolfie Smith Veronese, not foxy. Unless you find Robert Lindsay that attractive?
    It was deliberate. The mother in law always used to get it wrong and call him Foxy, much to his chagrin.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Maybe Veronese thinks that he's foxy - which is a bit worrying considering he hasn't started drinking yet.

Dry night for me tonight as I have double Dad's taxi duty tonight - 8pm drop off and midnight collection, despite Stropteen passing her driving test last week. Apparently she wants to have a drink, which I suppose I'm not in a position to lecture her about. Might just have to pedal extra hard on the way home from work and get some endorphins in place of alcohol. Ho hum.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    I just use illegal* immigrants.

*this bit might be made up.
    Did read that there is an app to report slavery type conditions at hand car washes as apparently that is quite common in those places. Vulnerable types are exploited and live on site in squalid conditions and paid well below minimum wage.
    I washed a car once, now I try to buy cars in colours that mask the dirt.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It was deliberate. The mother in law always used to get it wrong and call him Foxy, much to his chagrin.

As yes, of course. sorry. :roll:
  • pinno
    Step83 wrote:
    Pinno, I have a tin of Fusso Soft99 somewhere I've been itching to use but need the car properly clean first.

AG stuff..

Fast Glass I didnt get on well with may have been user error but kept getting marks

Yep, not easy stuff to use. I found that the cheap lidl window cleaner poured into a small tub, add a couple of drops of detergent and use a scourer on the exterior glass makes for a unbelievably hydrophobic combo. Try it. Use 100ml window cleaner, 2-3 drops of detergent (or else you get 0 adhesion without it) and 200ml hot water.

Do a clay bar job before sealing with the Soft99 or it's pointless but lasts 6 months +. Occasionally, I like rolling up to the car wash and cleaning the whole car for £1 and not touching it with the brush. That's how good the stuff is, if applied correctly. You can use colour wax on top op the sealant with no problems.
    Takes me roughly 90 mins to clay bar a car. You don't need detailing solution. Use a trigger bottle (Old AuGl bottles are ace and use water plus detergent or water and car shampoo. Detergent if it's really rough/greasy/oily/green, car shampoo if it's ok.
    Step83 wrote:
    upholstery cleaner, the Interior Shampoo I really rate it, worked well on all fabrics I've tried leaves a nice fresh smell too.

It is good, without having to get the fabric too damp.
    Step83 wrote:
    Vinyl and Rubber care,, found it a bit meh, doesnt last that long, I usually use Poorboys Trim restorer, its coconut oil based an a little goes a long way, though on plastic trims I use a dye ill get the make of when I go home, solved my old plastics look on the Saab.

I like the VRC on rubber but i'll try that poor boys trim restorer.
    Step83 wrote:
    Rubbing compounds I usually stick with G3, I have some Meguiers plastix which is OK on plastic.

Machines not really had much play time with I borrowed one to do a wax/glaze combo thats been it, but that was a while back.

I have only used a machine polisher on a handful of occasions - one was a red paint that had bloom and using it with T cut then colour restorer. In no way was I doing the whole thing by hand.
    Step83 wrote:
    Not used Bilt Hamber im afraid.

Very good quality, expensive though.
    Step83 wrote:
    Toys that have arrived, Auto Finesse snowfoam lance and foam and an autoglanz "addiction box", box changes monthly but defiantly includes some glass clothes an applicator waxes and detailer, plus some wheel cleaner, the smelly stuff that turns purple.

I'll go through what I use later, likely once the cars done!

Let me know how you get on with the various products you got.
  • pinno
    'Dynaglaze'? Wossat?

DSCN2875-1000x750.jpg

How old are you Oxo?
  • step83
    PInno, Gtechniq C4, not easy to use but works like a plastic dye.

The Auto Glanz kit came with a high alcohol glass cleaner which is brilliant stuff cuts through most crap you get on the glass.

I have done some scratch repairs by hand took ages but well worth it. Ill give that clay lube mix a whirl too!
  • pinno
    Step83 wrote:
    PInno, Gtechniq C4, not easy to use but works like a plastic dye.

The Auto Glanz kit came with a high alcohol glass cleaner which is brilliant stuff cuts through most crap you get on the glass.

I have done some scratch repairs by hand took ages but well worth it. Ill give that clay lube mix a whirl too!

I have a selection of 2000, to 5000 paper but I gave up with it as it is thoroughly laborious.
    Now I do it in 5 stages - Halfrauds rubbing compound > Turtle wax compound > Meguire's > Meguires plus water > colour wax.

I hear you Oxo. You cba. That's fine. I quite like some person rolling up at the garage/supermarket in an Audi A7,Jag, M5 BM or similar, and it's totally filthy.

I want this thing:

porsche-911-carrera-997-carrera-4-tiptronic-s-S3897406-1.jpg

...and i'll have a bike rack on the back and on occasion, I let it get really messy before I clean it. That'll pi$$ a helluva lot of people off.