Cassette Spline Wear?

delaney09
delaney09 Posts: 19
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Quick question. My 105 10-speed cassette recently started rattling and having a bit of play.

When I removed the cassette the alloy hub had very light markings from the cassette rattling but no real damage nor is there any gouges.

It looks as though the splines on all of the sprockets excluding the back three have worn. Is this normal? The cassette and chain have only done around 1500miles?

I added a slight amount of anti-seize paste to the freehub before fitting the cassette. I don't know why :lol: it seemed like a good idea at the time. Could this be the reason for the wear?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Maybe the lockring was coming loose?
  • delaney09
    Maybe the lockring was coming loose?

That's what I was hoping but it took two of us, a 300m adjustable spanner, 300mm chain whip and a hammer to get the locking off. No idea how it was on so tight?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    the anti seize has nothing to do with the wear - iys just grease.

whats the cassette like?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • delaney09
    the anti seize has nothing to do with the wear - iys just grease.

whats the cassette like?

The cassette teeth look brand new. When on the freehub it's like they don't fit snuggly. As in there is a gap between the cassette splines and the freehub body. But only the loose sprockets, the three largest fit like a glove.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Was the correct spacer installed behind the cassette ? If the freehub is 11 speed (and the cassette 105 10speed) sometimes 2 spacers are necessary (one that came with the wheel + one that came with the cassette).
    One of these might help you out https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-hub-cassette-spacer-11-speed-to-10-speed/
  • delaney09
    jermas wrote:
    Was the correct spacer installed behind the cassette ? If the freehub is 11 speed (and the cassette 105 10speed) sometimes 2 spacers are necessary (one that came with the wheel + one that came with the cassette).
    One of these might help you out https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-hub-cassette-spacer-11-speed-to-10-speed/

I swapped a 10speed tiagra cassette for a 10speed 105. I assumed it was swapped like for like but maybe there was an additional spacer in the tiagra setup I didnt notice?

The rattle is fairly new and it didn't rattle for the first couple of months.

I can't find much detail on the free hub the spec for the wheel just say 'Bontrager Alloy hub'. I'll get one of them and see if it makes a difference.
  • jermas
    edited April 2019
    The Tiagra cassette doesn't have a spacer but the 105 does (1mm) so there should be a spacer. The wiggle link (11-10 spacer) will only help you if its an 11 speed freehub.
    This explains it http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette_How-To_-_Part_2_3257.html
    If you try reinstalling your cassette and it wobbles you will need a spacer - which size?? Try 1mm first, if the cassette is tight all's well.
  • delaney09
    jermas wrote:
    The Tiagra cassette doesn't have a spacer but the 105 does (1mm) so there should be a spacer. The wiggle link (11-10 spacer) will only help you if its an 11 speed freehub.

There was a spacer at the wheel side of the 105 cassette. I'm unsure whether the wheel is 11-speed compatible. You don't happen to know the length of an 11-speed hub, if it's any different than a 10? I can measure when I get home.
  • delaney09
    jermas wrote:
    This explains it http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette_How-To_-_Part_2_3257.html
    If you try reinstalling your cassette and it wobbles you will need a spacer - which size?? Try 1mm first, if the cassette is tight all's well.

So.. with the 1mm spacer in the back of the cassette and the lockring tightened the middle cogs still rattle?
  • jermas
    By the sound of it you have an 11 speed freehub so the lockring isn't tightening the cassette. Try the 2mm spacer (11-10 speed) from Wiggle (or any other shop that have them) in the link above.
  • delaney09
    IMG-20190412-192739.jpg

IMG-20190412-192800.jpg

IMG-20190412-192913.jpg

IMG-20190412-192940.jpg

Some images of the hub and cassette.
  • delaney09
    jermas wrote:
    By the sound of it you have an 11 speed freehub so the lockring isn't tightening the cassette. Try the 2mm spacer (11-10 speed) from Wiggle (or any other shop that have them) in the link above.

I'll give it a bash cheers!
  • jermas
    Remember you might have to use both spacers. Just make sure there's enough threads for the lockring. From your pics the cassette/freehub look fine.
    Cheers.
  • delaney09
    jermas wrote:
    Remember you might have to use both spacers. Just make sure there's enough threads for the lockring. From your pics the cassette/freehub look fine.
    Cheers.

The 2mm spacer done the trick! No play in the cassette whatsoever. Cheers.
  • jermas
    Nice one. Thanks for the update.