Black Hole

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited April 2019 in The cake stop
What an amazing picture/ achievement to get it
Astronomers have taken the first ever image of a black hole, which is located in a distant galaxy.
It measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster".
The black hole is 500 million trillion km away and was photographed by a network of eight telescopes across the world.
Details have been published today in Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Prof Heino Falcke, of Radboud University in the Netherlands, who proposed the experiment, told BBC News that the black hole was found in a galaxy called M87.
"What we see is larger than the size of our entire Solar System," he said.
"It has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. And it is one of the heaviest black holes that we think exist. It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

_106371512_small.jpg
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Amazing and mind blowing stuff - now that we can photograph one, what benefit will it be to humankind in the future?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ...good question and I guess it would be the roll out of the technology used to make the measurements to beneficial applications..

Black holes are no use. I've got one - it does bggr all.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Don't look at it on TV - I've seen that film
  • BBC4 tonight has a programme all about them.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ..royal mint has a new coin about them..
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Lagrange wrote:
    ..royal mint has a new coin about them..

Here's one....

_95922547_848b2173-f08d-42e3-a865-45ce79beb9a7.jpg

The older I get, the better I was.

• crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Or it could be a pic of Mr Wilson after a night out.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    :D

Although on a more serious note the distances, dimensions and masses involved are just mind blowing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    It's a very out of focus photo of a Krispy Kreme donut on the toilet floor at Fleet Services.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    What a total waste of money :D
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    That's a Smiley. 80s rave was on it. #BombTheBass.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    david7m wrote:
    That's what black holes
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Although on a more serious note the distances, dimensions and masses involved are just mind blowing.

Not compared to a Tory brexit.
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    That's what black holes
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not compared to a Tory brexit.
    Yawn - keep it for the other thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Libera te tutemet ex inferis... surprised that hasnt been doing the rounds more today...or are people more of the "Increase power to maximum. We are going THROUGH! "
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    awavey wrote:
    Libera te tutemet ex inferis... surprised that hasnt been doing the rounds more today...or are people more of the "Increase power to maximum. We are going THROUGH! "

There is no way you are going through. It's mind-blowingly dense.

What I didn't know was that the idea of a body so massive that its gravity prevented light from escaping was proposed in 1784.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    Wonderful as it to investigate black holes light years away, I do wonder how it could aid our own predicament on planet Earth. As a species the parameters within which we can survive are mind-blowingly minute.

Perhaps the physics might help us but if so, no one has pointed out how.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Goo wrote:
    It's a very out of focus photo of a Krispy Kreme donut on the toilet floor at Fleet Services.

Yep. Rubbish photo. If I'd have taken it I'd have probably deleted it directly from the camera!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Agreed. Totally incomprehensible.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • robert88
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Yep. Rubbish photo. If I'd have taken it I'd have probably deleted it directly from the camera!

It's exactly how my last eclipse photo looked. I have no idea how they could have got hold of it but that's t'internet for you.
  • laurentian
    Don't know if anyone else watched the programme on BBC4 last night about this project? I found it very interesting how the computer generated simulation, made months before the actual imaging, was so similar the final image that they made.

In terms of what this project can give us in the future, it was said that the process by which they got the image opens up a whole new area of possibilities with regard to cosmic investigation.

The young lady who nailed the imaging process was a joy to watch.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    laurentian wrote:
    Don't know if anyone else watched the programme on BBC4 last night about this project?.

I found it odd that they had to rely on good weather. I'd always thought that one point of a radio telescope was that it didn't need clear sky.

The older I get, the better I was.

• laurentian
    Capt Slog wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Don't know if anyone else watched the programme on BBC4 last night about this project?.

I found it odd that they had to rely on good weather. I'd always thought that one point of a radio telescope was that it didn't need clear sky.

I have read that thermal microwave emissions from clouds are picked up by receivers and contribute to "noise". I suppose that, when "looking" over vast distances, a little "local" noise can cause big issues with calculations . . . I guess there must be a reason why these telescopes are always in very high, isolated places to minimise such things
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry
    Just been reading this bit on the Wikipedia Black Hole page.
    Observers falling into a Schwarzschild black hole (i.e., non-rotating and not charged) cannot avoid being carried into the singularity, once they cross the event horizon. They can prolong the experience by accelerating away to slow their descent, but only up to a limit.[89] When they reach the singularity, they are crushed to infinite density and their mass is added to the total of the black hole. Before that happens, they will have been torn apart by the growing tidal forces in a process sometimes referred to as spaghettification or the "noodle effect".
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    rjsterry wrote:
    Observers falling into a Schwarzschild black hole (i.e., non-rotating and not charged) cannot avoid being carried into the singularity, once they cross the event horizon. They can prolong the experience by accelerating away to slow their descent, but only up to a limit.[89] When they reach the singularity, they are crushed to infinite density and their mass is added to the total of the black hole. Before that happens, they will have been torn apart by the growing tidal forces in a process sometimes referred to as spaghettification or the "noodle effect".

Something to dwell on before you shut your eyes before sleep
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

It takes your mind off contemplating the eventual heat death of the universe :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

It takes your mind off contemplating the eventual heat death of the universe :)
    It doesn't bother me too much, even if I thought that we weren't eventually headed for the 'big crunch' - who knows. Here's a good one to put the size thing into perspective:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaGEjrADGPA