04bf7

Final run in:
Roubaix-Velodrome-A2U0376.jpg

Cheese: Pave de roubaix
450px-Pav%C3%A9_de_Roubaix_cheese.jpg

20 years ago:
1999-PR-Tafi-escape.jpg

Weird one.

The top riders in form aren't as suited to PR.

The riders most suited to PR are not in top form.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Forecast: dry *BOOOOOOO*
  • Forecast: dry *BOOOOOOO*

...and a headwind

DOUBLE BOOOOOOOO
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Weird one.

Was thinking it would suit van der Poel down to the ground with his handling skills, power to go long and speed for a sprint plus now proven ability over Monument distance then realised his team don't have a place. Jungels and Stybar have shown form and we know Stybar is a contender in this race but then it does feel like both have dropped off form. Van Aert maybe?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Pross wrote:
    Weird one.

Was thinking it would suit van der Poel down to the ground with his handling skills, power to go long and speed for a sprint plus now proven ability over Monument distance then realised his team don't have a place. Jungels and Stybar have shown form and we know Stybar is a contender in this race but then it does feel like both have dropped off form. Van Aert maybe?

Jungels isn't riding either.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If Naesen is over his supposed illness then he's got to be up there with the favourites.
    The French would bloody love it as well if an AG2R rider won.

EDIT

Just seen that Kristoff's riding as well, he's looking good right now and if he makes it into the velodrome in the lead group the victory should be his.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Joe Totale wrote:
    If Naesen is over his supposed illness then he's got to be up there with the favourites.

EDIT

Just seen that Kristoff's riding as well, he's looking good right now and if he makes it into the velodrome in the lead group the victory should be his.
    Kristoff never does well in PR.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Joe Totale wrote:

EDIT

True, I was just speculating that as he's in good form and some of his rivals aren't, this may be his best chance to do well.
  • blazing_saddles
    Joe Totale wrote:

EDIT

Naesen either. Best effort so far is 12th
    Kristoff has managed a 9th and a 10th in nine attempts.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Forecast: dry *BOOOOOOO*

...and a headwind

DOUBLE BOOOOOOOO

Looks like it would be head/crosswind along the route from what I can tell
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    im working all night , this is going to be a long day for me.

Important question is which beer should I drink with this race. Flanders was easy to find something decent, France is a bit harder
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    sherer wrote:

Important question is which beer should I drink with this race. Flanders was easy to find something decent, France is a bit harder

Pelforth?
  • blazing_saddles
    sherer wrote:

Meh, it's pavé for Kaissen. That's enough of a change. Half the bars in the area sell Affligem. They ain't daft.
  • bobmcstuff
    sherer wrote:

Roubaix is very close to the border with Belgium so the beer is like Flemish beer. Saisons and biere de garde are traditionally from Northern France and Belgium, so would be style appropriate to the race.

Pelforth is from Mons-en-Barœul, which is near to Roubaix, you should be able to buy this in the UK. Although it is now owned by Heineken. 3 Monts is also from French Flanders but not so close, and probably harder to find.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I’m hoping for another ef victory
  • sherer
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Roubaix is very close to the border with Belgium so the beer is like Flemish beer. Saisons and biere de garde are traditionally from Northern France and Belgium, so would be style appropriate to the race.

Pelforth is from Mons-en-Barœul, which is near to Roubaix, you should be able to buy this in the UK. Although it is now owned by Heineken. 3 Monts is also from French Flanders but not so close, and probably harder to find.

ive think ive had Pelforth a few times before. If I can find it think i'll go with that one.

Thanks for the advice.

Big Sagan fan so hoping for back to back wins but hes not shown a lot of form this year so far
  • Would love for Sagan to do it again but can’t see it happening.

As for who might... no idea :mrgreen: That’s the joy of it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Probably anticipating this less than any edition since I got into the sport nearly 20 years ago. It just seems the big names are either retired or out of form - or maybe I'm just losing a bit of interest in pro cycling.

Still the other half is on a short break in Bergerac with our two (grown up) girls this weekend and our son never ventures downstairs except to grab some food so hopefully a good race to occupy my Sunday.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I fancy Stybar to finally get his cobble. DQS will be looking for a response after Flanders, he's been in good nick so far this year and he always goes well at P-R.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sherer
    Any chances of a British win ?
  • blazing_saddles
    sherer wrote:

Well, Sky are getting a new, go faster Pinerello for the race.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ion-419532
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Probably anticipating this less than any edition since I got into the sport nearly 20 years ago. It just seems the big names are either retired or out of form - or maybe I'm just losing a bit of interest in pro cycling.

Still the other half is on a short break in Bergerac with our two (grown up) girls this weekend and our son never ventures downstairs except to grab some food so hopefully a good race to occupy my Sunday.
    It's unfortunate MvdP isn't riding. More excited about him than any rider since Sagan and Cavendish/Contador before.

There are some really special talents coming up after MvdP as well in Mikkel Bjerg, Filippo Ganna, Remco & possibly Pidcock.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Sunday plans-
    Paris Roubaix?
    US Masters?
    Chelsea v Liverpool?

Nope. I'd previously committed to driving eldest child and 3 of her mates to Dublin for a Shawn Mendes gig.
    (No. I've no idea who he is either)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    sherer wrote:

All on Luke Rowe as Stannard seems off the boil. No reason why he shouldn’t have his day if it all comes together but he’s yet to prove it. I’d love to see it, but ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Alejandrosdog
    Would love for Sagan to do it again but can’t see it happening.

It’s very difficult for him since no one seems prepared to work with him and for good reason and he doesn’t seem to have that massive punch he had to break free at the moment:(

Mind you last year he couldn’t drop the Swiss guy who’s name I can’t remember
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    CarbonClem wrote:
    sherer wrote:

All on Luke Rowe as Stannard seems off the boil. No reason why he shouldn’t have his day if it all comes together but he’s yet to prove it. I’d love to see it, but ...

a top 10 yes, a win, probably not.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

It’s very difficult for him since no one seems prepared to work with him and for good reason and he doesn’t seem to have that massive punch he had to break free at the moment:(

Sylvain Dillier - not sure he was bothering to drop him.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He said he tried to drop him on the last cobbled section but was unable to do so.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    M.R.M. wrote:

It's unfortunate MvdP isn't riding. More excited about him than any rider since Sagan and Cavendish/Contador before.

There are some really special talents coming up after MvdP as well in Mikkel Bjerg, Filippo Ganna, Remco & possibly Pidcock.
    In many ways doesn't the lack of clear favourites/big names just make it more open?

In any case, there are some big names - Sagan is the biggest name in the sport at the moment, he's just not looking in top form right now.

I am choosing to look on the bright side and expect an interesting race...
  • Alejandrosdog
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He said he tried to drop him on the last cobbled section but was unable to do so.

thats right, he was riding toward barriers and flicking out at the last moment. :lol: that was full on trying to dislodge him.

epic stuff
  • Alejandrosdog

Sylvain Dillier - not sure he was bothering to drop him.
    Ah yes thank you