Thank you, tailwind. Thank you, term break traffic.

Cheeseface22
Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
edited April 2019 in Commuting general
According to MET, I had tailwind of 8-20mph the whole way to work commute this morning.
I definitely felt the help from the tailwind.

So much so I got 1 PR and 3 Bronze on Strava on my usual commute route that I've been recording for over two years.
That's three medals in one ride for a very long time, let alone a PR on uphill!

What was even more pleasant was the significantly low traffic thanks to the Easter break.
Hardly any cars on the road!

So, thank you tailwind and term break traffic for such a pleasant morning ride to work.

Thank you, next.
I'm so f*****' grateful la la la...

Comments

• But you'll get headwind on way home and any cyclist knows it better to have tailwind on way back.
  • Not necessarily. Wind direction can change over time.

But you'd know that if you're surfer. Don't you?
  • Not necessarily. Wind direction can change over time.

Sure do but if you're in the UK it's going to be easterly all day which is good for me as offshore but for you will mean a headwind.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Two minutes quicker into work than normal.
    Two minutes slower back home.

Just a different class of oblivious twerp meandering around the cycle paths than the normal school kids.
  • Two minutes isn't too bad, I take it not a long commute.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Not necessarily. Wind direction can change over time.

Sure do but if you're in the UK it's going to be easterly all day which is good for me as offshore but for you will mean a headwind.

but it swaps in the evening, I get hit by easterly wind in the morning, and its nearly always westerly by the time I go home
  • Result then, the perfect ride. Tailwind each way, normally I get headwind both ways!
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Two minutes isn't too bad, I take it not a long commute.

52 minutes or so each way. As it is mostly 'off road' and logged on a Garmin/Strava I can be pretty consistent when I compare time and average heart rate. Really easy to spot when I am having a "lazy day", poor weather etc. Quite interesting the difference something like have a cough or cold can make.
  • Crosswind with a slight tailwind on my home ride yesterday evening!

MET wind forecast (or any forecast) is predicted based on generic algorithms generated by data received from satellites, I believe. It hardly takes account of the local micro-environment, such as thermals, terrain, altitude and buildings. So you can only take forecast with a pinch of salt.

I de-toured off my usual route on my way home so I have no idea what the ride stats were compared to the usual ride home.

My commute is also about 14.5miles so I usually take just under 60min on my single speed. Average speed is about 14.5-15.0mph, Yesterday morning Strava recorded a whooping 17.1mph and 51min travel time! I haven't done that since the 80s 5 speed bike got converted to a single speed with the heavy Halo wheels and 25C Marathon Plus tyres. I never thought I'd reach average of 17mph again. So that was really nice.

Definitely thanks to the tailwind but also for very light traffic not holding me back (ironically!)