Does not having a bolt through on the rear end make a significant differance

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited April 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi

As some of you will be aware goutdoors had the bosnut v2 onsale. The new one is coming out in the summer doh I do hope It's not got a rear bolt through.

I was wondering how much difference does it actually make? Am I correct in assuming the front end being a bolt through will have a more significant effect?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mountain bikes coped pretty well with QR hubs for years. Thru axles do make it easier to get the wheel in exactly the same place after removal, which can make life easier with disc brakes.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    What effect are you expecting to see or feel?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bolt through makes a reasonable difference to multi linkage rear end stiffness, if it's a hardtail or swing arm (inc. most VPP) it makes no real difference. Boost of course makes a difference to wheel stability (as most will be bigger than a 26") and you have no decent option (but for some cheapies) of a bolt through then.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I did notice the difference on my full suspension bike but on a hardtail, I found it wouldn't make that much difference.

I do prefer front forks to be through axle 15 or 20mm you can tell the difference there.