Cycling caps

2»

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Matt_N wrote:
    Just don’t flip the peak up. We’re cyclists not jockeys.

but how will people be able to see the cool words/adverts Im displaying on the underside of the peak otherwise :wink:

Ive worn them in winter as they keep my head warm, wear them when it rains as it keeps the rain out of my face abit better and hair slightly less damp. Ive even worn them just as standalone caps, thinking I look incredibly chic at cake stops, though on reflection I probably look a bit of a t*t to non cyclists, but hey whatever.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    amrushton wrote:
    Rapha are stupidly priced imo. Walz are better if you can find them. ............................ Prendas are great value

I think you're only sort of right about Rapha caps - I haven't actually got any of their cotton caps but I have got a winter 'Belgian' cap (ie. insulated and covers the ears) which I picked up in the outlet store in Shepton Mallet for about £25. It's fantastic and far, far better in terms of quality, fit and keeping the ears covered than the Prendas equivalent that I also have and which cost £20. That said, Prendas are my go to source for cotton caps as they have a vast range at only £8 or 9 and even cheaper on 'multi buy'.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    amrushton wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    Blimey ! I had no idea they were so useful !!

I wear buffs in the winter for warmth but they do nothing for rain etc so will have a look at Rapha and Prendas for likely caps and give em a go.

Thanks all, really useful.

Rapha are stupidly priced imo. Walz are better if you can find them. I got a Giro cap (helmet/shoe make) via ebay. Prendas are great value

I bought a Walz a few years ago. Quality, fit and comfort are great. Washes up no problem. BUT the peak is not stiff enough to stay up when there is a head wind so I often find myself looking at the underside of the peak suddenly. Not the safest thing to experience as getting the peak up whilst not being able to see ahead is scary.

They also seem to have gone up in price a lot although the choice/range on the Walz website is great.

I bought mine from Velotastic.

https://velotastic.co.uk/product-catego ... walz-caps/

This is mine:

https://velotastic.co.uk/product/brands ... cking-cap/

The cotton caps may be stiffer.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ayjaycee wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    Rapha are stupidly priced imo. Walz are better if you can find them. ............................ Prendas are great value

I think you're only sort of right about Rapha caps - I haven't actually got any of their cotton caps but I have got a winter 'Belgian' cap (ie. insulated and covers the ears) which I picked up in the outlet store in Shepton Mallet for about £25. It's fantastic and far, far better in terms of quality, fit and keeping the ears covered than the Prendas equivalent that I also have and which cost £20. That said, Prendas are my go to source for cotton caps as they have a vast range at only £8 or 9 and even cheaper on 'multi buy'.

i bought 9 for £3 from prendas a few years ago before they got their new website and quadrupled the prices.

all the same team but hey, its a bargain. some spanish bank. caps are white with blue sponsor. would go and look and see which team but my back hurts too much to move.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The prendas caps (plenty of shops sell them too) are effectively disposable and fall apart with heavy use. The Rapha ones are more hard wearing and worth picking up in the sale.

Ultimately, there is room in the market for both. The prendas caps are fine for a lot of people. Start with them if you've never tried them before.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    The prendas caps (plenty of shops sell them too) are effectively disposable and fall apart with heavy use. The Rapha ones are more hard wearing and worth picking up in the sale.

Ultimately, there is room in the market for both. The prendas caps are fine for a lot of people. Start with them if you've never tried them before.
    My experience. I got a Prendas one to replace my fading 8 year old Rapha bought during a sale. The Prendas sits at the back of the drawer unused since the initial use, not worth selling and kept only "just in case". I got another Rapha in a sale.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle

yup - agree room and tastes for both.

prendas are fine for all round use - they turn manky after a year (even with frequent washing) but at 9 for £3 you don't care.

i save my Z Peugeot ones for special occasions - weddings, funerals, bah mitzvahs.....

anyway, worn caps are ally and as we all know, ally saves lives.

#allysaveslives

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    imagine wearing that while cutting around on you Raleigh Burner. You'd be beating them off with a shittty stick.

#shittystick

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    The Castelli Corso Rosso mesh cap is quite nice. I got mine in an Evans sale
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Caps eh? Yeh, I have one or two... :D

36452584904_96e33bd6d7_k.jpgCaps! by Ben H, on Flickr
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Are you related to DanB?!?
  • Ben6899
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Are you related to DanB?!?

Not sure I know a Dan B. So I'll say no. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I shave my head.Wearing a cap(specially in Mallorca/France) also stops my head getting burned and me having a dodgy Tiger-striped bonce 8)Much easier than applying sun cream every hour or so.Also when worn backwards the peak helps keep the Sun off the back of my neck.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I shave my head.Wearing a cap(specially in Mallorca/France) also stops my head getting burned and me having a dodgy Tiger-striped bonce 8)Much easier than applying sun cream every hour or so.Also when worn backwards the peak helps keep the Sun off the back of my neck.

As I said above I am also bald and use a cap for the same reasons but I still put on SP20 high factor. At some point helmet and cap will come off because I get too hot. Typically this is on a long climb in a hotter country so I need the protection. I find SP20 is less likely to run into my eyes and sting.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Anyone got the white men can't jump cap/s? :o

image.jpg

image-w1280.jpg?1476696812

I have loads of caps, from sam cycling on ebay or PX
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Well my Prendas cap arrived today and the weather is forecast at 2 degrees in Lille on Saturday for my Paris Roubaix challenge so I’ll give it a go.

Thanks again everyone, great response and great options.
  • Ben6899
    All the best for the weekend!
    Ben

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Just had an email from Prendas saying that they have added a number of caps to their 'multisaver' offer which brings them down to £4 each.
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/3 ... dXRiIn0%3D
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)