Lake Como - Madonna del Ghisallo and Muro di Sormano

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited April 2019 in Tour & expedition
Got a couple of nights on Lake Como in August, staying near Valbrona. It looks like the Madonna del Ghisallo and the Muro di Sormano are rideable from there, does anyone have a route or suggestions? Logically it's probably best to go south to get to the foot of the Muro, ride up it (if possible!) then continue north to the Madonna.

I might then brave the lake road to get back to our place, although I guess that could be busy and not a great experience?

Didn't have much motivation for riding this year, but this has really got me thinking!

Comments

• harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    For the Ghisallo, a good loop is to go up the west side of the lake to Cadenabbia from Como, then get a ferry across to Bellagio, - they're pretty regular, about every 40 mins IIRC. From Bellagio it's straight up the Ghisallo, as it were. Make sure you stop at the museum if you've never been there before, it's a pistol. There's a few variations on the route back, depending on your climbing legs, but it's basically head towards Erba then Tavernio. It's a beautiful loop, with about 3 hours or less ride time.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Cant see the point of the Sormano. Stupid gradient, small road. I think there is a less steep road that avoids it. The descent into Nesso is a bit technical then a left and straight back to Como. I rode around the Lake road. It switches back and forth but it is beautiful. You can also nip across to switzerland (Lugano)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Harry-S wrote:
    For the Ghisallo, a good loop is to go up the west side of the lake to Cadenabbia from Como, then get a ferry across to Bellagio, - they're pretty regular, about every 40 mins IIRC. From Bellagio it's straight up the Ghisallo, as it were. Make sure you stop at the museum if you've never been there before, it's a pistol. There's a few variations on the route back, depending on your climbing legs, but it's basically head towards Erba then Tavernio. It's a beautiful loop, with about 3 hours or less ride time.

When you get off the ferry at Bellagio, the place opposite does really good coffee. Naturally.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    amrushton wrote:
    Cant see the point of the Sormano. Stupid gradient, small road. I think there is a less steep road that avoids it. The descent into Nesso is a bit technical then a left and straight back to Como. I rode around the Lake road. It switches back and forth but it is beautiful. You can also nip across to switzerland (Lugano)

I don't understand that!? The Muro is closed to traffic, and yeah it's steep, but surely that's the point?! Oh, and it's iconic and has great markings on the road...

I've also (tried to) ride the Muro di Guardiagrele, so want to see how they compare
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Why "brave" the lake road? I really enjoy the section out of Bellagio towards Lecco and it isn't as busy as you would imagine.

I've only been as far as the museum from Bellagio and it's a very nice ride. At the moment I'd prefer to spend more time on the lake than riding the Muro - I'd probably have to walk it so not much point.
    Advocate of disc brakes.