Hi,

Just wondering if there would be any interest in a cargo bike forum :D

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yes. I want a bakfiets short.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    As a Johnny Loco cargo trike owner, YES!

(Although in all honesty, wouldn't that go under "Commuter", unless the idea is to boost/highlight Cargo Bikes as a THING?)

Edit - answering my own question, possibly not. Difference between cargo bike for families ( Family & Kids group) and Cargo Bike for Cargo such as a Business thing.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    A yes from me please :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    If there's going to be a cargo bike forum, there should also be a recumbent forum...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Matthewfalle
    Batmo wrote:
    If there's going to be a cargo bike forum, there should also be a recumbent forum...

sound good to all of us here.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    can we have a gravel cargo subsection?
  • Cargo bike forum. FFS.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Tandem sub - forum?
  • shirley_basso
    Batmo wrote:

Think you need a lie down mate
  • shirley_basso
    Cargo bike forum. FFS.

They're big in my city. Literally and figuratively. And fucking expensive.
  • Cargo bike forum. FFS.

They're big in my city. Literally and figuratively. And ******* expensive.

Yeah but a forum for them, how many posts will it get? I reckon you should REALLY go for the niche market, maybe a unicycle cargo forum for gay black disabled Marxist dwarfs? :lol:

I should add not only do we have none where I live, I must confess at first I wasn't sure what was being referred to and had to google to find out. #livingashelteredlife
  • shirley_basso
    They weigh a lot (30-40kg) so good for where it's flat.

Even the small bridge over the local river has me searching behind the sofa for the extra £1000 to make it pedelec.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Cargo bike forum. FFS.

They're big in my city. Literally and figuratively. And ******* expensive.

Yeah but a forum for them, how many posts will it get? I reckon you should REALLY go for the niche market, maybe a unicycle cargo forum for gay black disabled Marxist dwarfs? :lol:

I should add not only do we have none where I live, I must confess at first I wasn't sure what was being referred to and had to google to find out. #livingashelteredlife

An excellent example of why supporting such a niche market and raising awareness of it, especially in light of the climate crisis and the ULEZ is beneficial.

I'd love bike radar to have an article on Cargobikes - and will even lend mine for them to test :)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Matthewfalle
    agree completely - the more the merrier and as its a growing area of cycling we can't see why not.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wolfsbane2k
    agree completely - the more the merrier and as its a growing area of cycling we can't see why not.

Yep - esp with the electric versions getting a little more affortable.
  • shirley_basso
    A pedelec bakfiets short is over £3,500!
  • tangled_metal
    That's very affordable to some on here. You could probably save that on tax with the help of one poster on here. :)
  • shirley_basso
    You can get govt grants to buy them too!
  • tangled_metal
    How? Why? What criteria are the grants given? Does it involve benefits receipt? Do they cover 2/3rds or more of the cost?
  • wolfsbane2k
    That's very affordable to some on here. You could probably save that on tax with the help of one poster on here. :)

I did only say " A little more affordable" . Still, when compared to the price of a car, let alone an electric car over a year, it almost certainly pays for itself.

Especially if you're lucky enough to be working somewhere where you can buy them pre-tax under a Cycle to Work scheme or similar...
  • wolfsbane2k
    How? Why? What criteria are the grants given? Does it involve benefits receipt? Do they cover 2/3rds or more of the cost?

I know Scotland's Energy Trust does such grants[1] - Shirley's in NZ I believe, not sure what the grant systems are like over there.
    [1] it's actually a loan : https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sc ... ebike-loan
  • shirley_basso
    I am in the UK - Cambridge. There's a couple of Facebook groups about them, mostly with parents as they are great for lugging kids about.

The grants are for businesses who want to buy one. My wife works for a small business up here so I think she may ask the owner to buy one.

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/tr ... grant-fund
  • wolfsbane2k
    I am in the UK - Cambridge. There's a couple of Facebook groups about them, mostly with parents as they are great for lugging kids about.

The grants are for businesses who want to buy one. My wife works for a small business up here so I think she may ask the owner to buy one.

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/tr ... grant-fund

Oh - whoops, soz for the Mis-id. There's someone on here from NZ...
  • bobbywise
    bobbywise Posts: 23
    I think cargo bikes are useful. My Nihola has PowerTap pedals with flywheel’s clip adaptors — that way I can monitor my power output to ensure I’m not relying too much on the electric assistance!

IX7CTe.jpg

0f6RQa.jpg

7LqxlT.jpg

F6SI4B.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 for a Cargo Bike forum.

Its a growing community, word of mouth advice and peer to peer recommendations are really useful for anyone looking to get a Cargo bike, or who needs help running one.