cooldad

croptonboy
croptonboy Posts: 164
edited April 2019 in The Crudcatcher
It is with great sadness that I report that cooldad recently lost his battle with cancer

cooldad was a long standing member on here and many will know him from the London Calling thread and subsiquent Facebook group, participating in rides around the Surrey Hills, Swinley and other places

He was also a fairly regular poster throughout the forum, and many will know him for his sharp wit, myself included

For anyone interested, his son is organising a meet at the top of Leith Hill on the 13th at noon to celebrate his life, swap stories, eat some cake etc

R.I.P. cooldad

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Sad news.
    I always appreciated his dry wit and sarcasm.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shiiiit. Thats really sad. I had no idea. Thoughts to friends and family.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    That's brutal.

Never met the man, but thoroughly enjoyed his contributions (and his avatar) on here.

It's a year to the day my girlfriends father passed away due to cancer, and it's still a huge struggle for everyone in the family.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    That really is very sad, I knew he was ill and as others have said I enjoyed his contributions. Always entertaining.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Really sorry to hear. Condolences to all involved. I enjoyed cooldad's contributions.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    That is tragic - a life taken too early. My condolences to his family.

RIP Cooldad.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Really sorry to hear that. Doesn't seem long ago I was reading his posts maybe a few weeks ago although I could have remembered that wrongly. Seemed a decent chap. We all have an expiry date sadly. So fed up with hearing about good people gone before their time due to cancer. RIP.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I had no idea he was ill.Very sad news.
    RIP Cooldad.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I also had no idea He was ill, always enjoyed His knowledge input and humour/banter on the forums. Sorry to hear of his passing.

RIP Cooldad!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I remember him mentioning it - ages ago.

I'll miss his posts..
  • That is sad and a tragic loss to his friends and family.

Whenever I saw his name on a thread I'd always head straight for that post, always guaranteed a chuckle or a wince!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    RIP Cooldad, you will be missed. Thoughts are with your family and friends.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    RIP Cooldad
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Damn - saw this thread title and feared the worst. He always seemed to have a great attitude to life and was always looking for the humour in everything. Already this thread shows that he touched the life of a great many strangers really, who didnt feel like strangers due to his nature (and obviously his prolific posting!). Such a sad loss for his family and those truly close to him but obvioulsy of less importance than that, its a sad loss to the community here which will be poorer for his passing.

Always thought I would meet him on a ride out one day, obviously not now.

Rest in Peace Cooldad.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Awful news. Sincere condolences.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Gutted to hear this. We need more people like him, not less. I knew he was ill, but the news is still hard to take. RIP fella.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    A poster whose posts I enjoyed. Sadly no more. RIP
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I had no idea he was ill, I quite enjoyed his wit and banter on here and will be sadly missed,bloody awful disease I've had the misfortune of watching both parents pass away with it of different forms

RIP Cooldad
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I had no idea he was ill, I quite enjoyed his wit and banter on here and will be sadly missed,bloody awful disease I've had the misfortune of watching both parents pass away with it of different forms

RIP Cooldad

I don't think a lot did, you wouldn't have known from the witty banter on the posts.

A lad who I work with is going through cancer treatment at the moment, horrible thing to have to go through. But he is just so upbeat when he pops in to the office like it is nothing to worry about.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Sad news
  • Just refreshed the forum, saw this thread title as a recent sub-section update and feared the worse (having read a post from his about his cancer maybe last year sometime).

RIP
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Best wishes to family and friends.

RIP, cooldad.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • My condolences to his family and friends.
    My friends, life is short, make the most of it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I'll certainly miss his posts on here which amused me no end. A sad loss.
    life is short, make the most of it.
    +1
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    RIP cooldad.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    RIP sorry to hear that.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Tonight is my first time having a peruse around the forum in probably a year, and one of the first things i thought when i logged in was "are the usuals like Cooldad still around?".

I am saddened to see this news rather than seeing his usual funny posts. Was even looking forward to seeing what he would say on my build thread, as he usually came in with something funny every time i updated it!

I was actually reminded of cooldad a couple of days ago when I stripped one of my bikes that I hadn't ridden for a while - ready for a rebuild. He sent me an old shifter and cassette completely free of charge a few years ago and will continue to use them. As i took them off I thought "it was nice of cooldad from Bikeradar to send me this stuff for free".

Thanks for the laughs and the parts cooldad, sad to read this news. Condolences to his family and friends.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Tonight is my first time having a peruse around the forum in probably a year, and one of the first things i thought when i logged in was "are the usuals like Cooldad still around?".

I am saddened to see this news rather than seeing his usual funny posts. Was even looking forward to seeing what he would say on my build thread, as he usually came in with something funny every time i updated it!

I was actually reminded of cooldad a couple of days ago when I stripped one of my bikes that I hadn't ridden for a while - ready for a rebuild. He sent me an old shifter and cassette completely free of charge a few years ago and will continue to use them. As i took them off I thought "it was nice of cooldad from Bikeradar to send me this stuff for free".

Thanks for the laughs and the parts cooldad, sad to read this news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Hi GT, good to see you back again.

Really sad what happened to Cooldad, especially at a relatively early age :(

As you've probably worked out from the lack of posts, Crudcatcher has kind of died as well...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]