Brake rub after pads and rotor change

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

So I’ve changed both of my rotors ands pads. Now the rotors are touching against the brake pads everywherec not just at a specific point. So it looks like the pads are too close to the rotors. Any advice on how to widen the brake pads?

I’m using Shimano XTR M9000 brakes

Thanks

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    You need to push the pistons back in when fitting new pads. With the wheel off, take the pads out and use something like a tyre lever to push both pistons in. Be gentle with the pistons as they can get damaged with metal tools.
  • mtbrider123
    mtbrider123 Posts: 102
    lemonenema wrote:
    You need to push the pistons back in when fitting new pads. With the wheel off, take the pads out and use something like a tyre lever to push both pistons in. Be gentle with the pistons as they can get damaged with metal tools.

Perfect, thanks!
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    If that doesn't work, you can release a small amount of brake fluid from the brake lever and that takes a bit of pressure out of the system.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it just a light rub or actually binding? Not at all unusual to get a little light rubbing (won't slow the wheel noticeably if you lift it and spin it) while the pads bed in and you risk creating a bigger issue if you fiddle unnecessarily.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.