Tour de Yorkshire teams

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2019 in Pro race
Quite light on the WT squads

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ist-223034

Peter Cossins pointed out on twitter it's the lowest number of world tour teams, in a year where they're covering the Worlds course in the race.

It is a race I've struggled to get into but even I'm slightly surprised more of the bigger teams aren't there
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Perhaps they find Veritys behaviour unpleasant and likely to tarnish the good name of the sport. :lol::lol::lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited March 2019
    iainf72 wrote:

Peter Cossins pointed out on twitter it's the lowest number of world tour teams, in a year where they're covering the Worlds course in the race.

It is a race I've struggled to get into but even I'm slightly surprised more of the bigger teams aren't there

Very odd, as apart from the old May Day Henninger Turm - Frankfurt Loop and Romandie, there's sweet FA in competition.
    Although the race appears to be getting bigger, that's almost half the number of WT teams as two years ago.
    Is the overall prize money poor, because the women get half, I wonder?
    A bit of a mystery....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    It's too tough for those softie foreigners
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Alejandrosdog
    gsk82 wrote:
    It's too tough for those softie foreigners

I think it’s always been tougher than. They expected :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Teams might want to steer clear of Britain so soon after Brexit with the uncertainty of border controls etc.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alejandrosdog
    RichN95 wrote:
    Teams might want to steer clear of Britain so soon after Brexit with the uncertainty of border controls etc.

thats true, its an unknown for sure.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

so why doesnt it impact the womens teams then ? as there are only 2 domestic team slots this year that have gone to the teams effectively topping the national series, because there are more UCI teams wanting to ride the worlds course route :)
  • gsk82
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

so why doesnt it impact the womens teams then ? as there are only 2 domestic team slots this year that have gone to the teams effectively topping the national series, because there are more UCI teams wanting to ride the worlds course route :)

Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Do teams get appearance money for races? Wondered if perhaps that might influence who races where. It'd be interesting the reasons but unlikely we'd get more than the usual PR spin. For me it's a shame as it's a race that I enjoy, probably more than the Tour of Britain.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Alejandrosdog
    gsk82 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

THIS
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    This does make me wonder about the race and it’s future somewhat

http://www.tourismknowhow.com/issues/we ... -yorkshire
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Jesus f#cking Christ, that’s some stab in the dark statement right there
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    iainf72 wrote:

Very odd, as apart from the old May Day Henninger Turm - Frankfurt Loop and Romandie, there's sweet FA in competition.
    Although the race appears to be getting bigger, that's almost half the number of WT teams as two years ago.
    Is the overall prize money poor, because the women get half, I wonder?
    A bit of a mystery....

DD, CCC and Katusha are the 3 weakest WT teams at that. They are all struggling to pick up points in WT races. May be an idea to send their top riders here for some cheap points as they probably will not get many in the other higher quality races on at the same time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    iainf72 wrote:

This is *so* Yorkshire.
  • gsk82
    iainf72 wrote:

This is *so* Yorkshire.

The only use for that word in Yorkshire is when its followed by "what"
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Hand in the till, not health reasons (unless it’s a severe case of sweating)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ary-verity
  • gsk82
    Hand in the till, not health reasons (unless it’s a severe case of sweating)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ary-verity

That's what's been reported all along.

I never particularly liked the guy, but it happened around the time his sister died at a relatively young age (I assume). He'd previously lost his wife at a relatively young age. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but accept he may just be a complete shoot.

On another note, I wouldnt expect any publicly funded organisation with a former pwc employee as its chair, to have any control over its finances.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    RichN95 wrote:

Not really, if you think about it. Just the unknown of actual leave date coupled with a foreign registered vehicle fleet, personnel and the unknown of medical care is probably not worth it. For the women’s teams it probably is as I believe it’s one of the biggest in terms of prize money.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

Not really, if you think about it. Just the unknown of actual leave date coupled with a foreign registered vehicle fleet, personnel and the unknown of medical care is probably not worth it. For the women’s teams it probably is as I believe it’s one of the biggest in terms of prize money.

ride londons bigger even without taking it as a 1hr race vs 2 day stage. but its notable alot of the pro women riders are saying prize money (coming out of a debate on the belgian races) isnt as important as is often made out as an issue for them, since only one team can win a race, they are generally the teams with more money anyway, and given the rest competing arent even on minimum wages most of the time, everyone else is clearly just there for the love of riding around...but there you go people seem to blame Brexit for everything and even causing leaks in the house of commons thesedays :lol:
  • gsk82
    With the worlds been here this year it could just be that the budget has been cut.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    gsk82 wrote:
    With the worlds been here this year it could just be that the budget has been cut.

Tour is funded by local authorities paying 100k host fees plus the limited sponsors they have (they still haven’t attracted a main sponsor for the race since it started). As long as ASO fees are covered (and they make a little money) I’m sure it will continue. Winner fees are standared for a HC race I believe paid in €.

UCI Worlds being funded by uk government/ uk sport.

I think the problem is the calendar. For 2 years Kruiswick used Yorkshire as his training ride for the Giro but oddly, despite a few wins, Lotto haven’t returned. Mitchelson Scott haven’t returned either, more disappointing this year given Brent Bookwalter seems to love the race. Sunweb and Astana not returning after last year.

The race is held at the same time as Romandie too. Last year was first year they didn’t clash and it still struggled to attract teams. Frankfurt is the day before too so WT teams will be sending squads to both those races instead of Yorkshire.

It’s a very disappointing line up this year, not really sure what can be done to change it except for maybe a calendar change. They could also reduce teams to 6 riders. Many of the WT teams have sent reduced teams in recent years so they may as well drop it to 6.

I am pleased Murias and Rally are returning alongside DE and Vital. They (former) were both attacking last year so worthy of a place. Odd how ASO invited the Colombian team when it was unlikely they wouldn’t get visas though. Now replaced by Roompot who deserve a place too.