Mildred's Surly Bridge Club (long-term test bike)

mildredlocke
mildredlocke Posts: 4
edited April 2019 in Your mountain bikes
Hello folks,

This is the first of many staff long-termer bikes we're going to feature within our forums, because we think it's a great place for you to get involved with the riding we're doing, the upgrades we make to our bikes, and our long-term review plans.

Today we launched a first look video of my long-term bike, the Surly Bridge Club, which is essentially a rugged all-road touring bike. If you haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, here's a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeUURsIYPI

Rather than kit it out and tell you what I've done to it, I want to hear what you'd put on it to get the most out of this bike. Leave me all your suggestions in this thread and I'll update you when she's up and running!

Also, if you're a fellow Surly owner or have something similar, post photos of your setup - I want all the inspiration!

Surly Bridge Club specs

Frameset: Surly Bridge Club XS
Brakes: Promax DSK-300, 160 rotors
Brake/shift levers: Sram FR-5 / X5
Front derailleur: SRAM X5
Rear derailleur: SRAM GX
Cassette: Sunrace 11-40, 10spd
Chain: KMC X10
Crankset: SRAM Blaze 36/24t
Hubs: Formula 32h QR
Rims: WTB STPi29 TSC
Tyres: WTB Riddler comp 27.5x2.4-in
Handlebars: Salsa Bend
Grips: Velo Lock-on
Pedals: N/A
Saddle: WTB Volt
Seatpost: Gusset Lofty XXL 2.72
Bottle cages: N/A
Computer: N/A

Comments

• Oooh! Proud owner of a Bridge Club, M size. Not a bike, a mighty steed! First thinking about adding bikepacking style bags, but suddenly, an awaking: this machine is prepared with versatile braze ons and non suspension fork in order to withstand any kind of loading style, so it would be a good idea using this advantage.
    After many web researches, in a first stage, I added two standard botle cages in the inner frame and a Tubus Logo rear rack (perfect fit). I use a small handlebar bag not coming from bike-specific-universe, a Snugpack Response Pack.
    Next stage will be two cage style holders on the fork braze ons like Topeak or Blackburn for 3-5 litres bags, and a Topeak Midloader frame bag.
    Finishing thinking about adding a front Surly 8 Pack rack.
    Is a reliable steed. I'm enjoying the process of gearing it.
    And of course I'm enjoying the ride.